Okay everybody | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Okay everybody

njfinfan

Finheaven's "First Lady"
Reaction score
weigh in. I don't love, nor do I hate Jay Fiedler. But I'm watching the Dallas game from 03 right now and I have to ask myself and everyone else. What makes him so inconsistent? He was brilliant in the first half 14 of 17 for 186 yards.

Why can't he play this way all the time? I know that everyone can't play perfectly all the time, but this is really bothering me. Our QB stepped up - our OL stepped up.

What gives? Opinions?

Originally posted by Justasportsfan
Here comes Jimmy James and Asphyx.

That's fine. I asked for opinions. My question was very objective - this is driving me crazy. His inconsistency.

nj

I think his arm not being very strong is part of the problem. Sometimes he thinks he can get the ball there but he can't and that's when he gets in trouble.

Ozzy rules!!

I've said this before, but I believe it's the thumb injury that messed him up. I was a Jay supporter until he stunk it up in the '03 season. I really believed in him, but after that thumb injury last year '02, he wasn't the same anymore.

There has to be some reason why his play tailed off so much. Remember how he played in Denver on that Sunday night game in '02? He was producing like that the whole season. Warren Moon also had a thumb injury like Jay's and he was never the same afterwards.

Originally posted by Dolfan954
I've said this before, but I believe it's the thumb injury that messed him up. I was a Jay supporter until he stunk it up in the '03 season. I really believed in him, but after that thumb injury last year '02, he wasn't the same anymore.

There has to be some reason why his play tailed off so much. Remember how he played in Denver on that Sunday night game in '02? He was producing like that the whole season. Warren Moon also had a thumb injury like Jay's and he was never the same afterwards.

That's an interesting thought. I just can't pin the problem down. Watching our dolphins dominate this game so completely boggles the mind when they can't do it consistently.

Originally posted by njfinfan

That's an interesting thought. I just can't pin the problem down. Watching our dolphins dominate this game so completely boggles the mind when they can't do it consistently.
I have a tape of that game, too. That was the most beautiful Dolphins game I've seen since I can't remember when. The gameplan worked to perfection.

How could he play so wonderfully in '02, and so badly in '03? Overthrowing and underthrowing receivers, not hitting them in stride, throwing terrible deep balls, and throwing interceptions that make you wonder who the hell he was trying to get the ball to. I think it's the thumb injury.

To me Jay is the ultimate "rhythm" QB. His talent level is average at best, though he has more heart than most. But in games I've watched he needs to get a rhythm established not just of the game but for his throwing motion. You can tell when he sails his first few passes that its going to be a long day.

Like any other repetitive skill, such as a golf swing or a bowling approach, establishing a muscle memory of the action is vital and Jay seems to need it more than most. Cool him off at halftime and he can lose it Break his bad habits at half time and he can come back the second half.

Regarding the Dallas game and his differance between the halfs, don't discount in this particualar occasion the differance in play calling either.

Absolutely

Originally posted by Ohiophinphan
To me Jay is the ultimate "rhythm" QB. His talent level is average at best, though he has more heart than most. But in games I've watched he needs to get a rhythm established not just of the game but for his throwing motion. You can tell when he sails his first few passes that its going to be a long day.

Like any other repetitive skill, such as a golf swing or a bowling approach, establishing a muscle memory of the action is vital and Jay seems to need it more than most. Cool him off at halftime and he can lose it Break his bad habits at half time and he can come back the second half.

Regarding the Dallas game and his differance between the halfs, don't discount in this particualar occasion the differance in play calling either.

It was a brilliant game overall. I'm certainly not discounting the play calling. I would have to agree with both you and 954, the thumb injury and the rhythm aspect are certainly factors. Guess I'll never figure it all out, but I LOVE watching this game.

Let's hope we see more of Chambers (a star in my opinion) and RW in the 04 season.

I think a lot of this goes to the Cowboys, and to game planning. Our receivers have TONS of separation in that game, and Jay is able to take advantage of it. He does have good throws as well (the short slant throw to Chambers was a thing of beauty), but he had much more to work with than you see in most games.

I'd also suggest looking at the last game vs NY - another solid (though not perfect) game from Jay.

I think he brings a great deal of fire to the team, and has the athletic ability to help the o-line protect him by being mobile enough to get out of trouble.

I think he's a good QB, but has not necessarily had the tools around him. Last year, the 0-line was questionable, and we effectively were lacking a 2nd receiver. Jay still turned in two games that were 'career' games for him.
I think he is good enough to take advantage of things, but needs help from other players. He gets into trouble when he tries to make a big play on his own (or when a player doesn't do his part, witness the INT for TD vs the Jets, which McKnight misplayed that signficantly in my book). finally, he does have injury issues that can limit him.

While I'm eager to see what Feeley can do, I would not be surprised to see Jay try to kick it in gear and make this a tough competition. It may be that Fielder wins early due to his knowledge of the offense and Feeley gets his shot later in the season due to injury. Course, this is the same scenario we discussed last season with Griese, and we all know how that turned out.

Right now, I want the best of the two available to start, and if that's Jay, so be it. If it's AJ - that's fine too. I think AJ should be the preferred winner by the front office (due to the investment in him) while Jay has an edge due to familiarity with the system and players. Should be a good battle.

You guys that have that game.....See what you can scout on Larry Allen....just a thought...

I'm puzzled as well. The thumb injury is a possibility. Also, the lack of a QB coach when Shula left for the Bama HC position could have contributed. I'm just puzzled as well. At the start of the 02 season, he was play was excellent, then, following the injury in the Denver game, he just never was the same. Maybe its a combination of the injury and lack of a QB coach.

Originally posted by Danny
I think his arm not being very strong is part of the problem. Sometimes he thinks he can get the ball there but he can't and that's when he gets in trouble.

Ozzy rules!!

I agree, I keep seeing this play in my head. 2000 playoff game against the Colts. (just happened to be the game of the week on NFL network) Where the fins are in the red zone and about to score, when fiedler throws to OJ and there are two defenders in the way, and there was a split second when he could have gotten the ball there. But IMO there isn't a active QB today that has the arm strength to thread the needle to make that play. (other than Brett Favre) So I believe he thinks his arm is stronger than it really is.

Back
Top Bottom