OL are we ready for the season. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL are we ready for the season.

MDFINFAN

Reach for the Stars
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I was responding to a post by CK on the McClary thing and I stated that Wanny won't take chances this year on unproven guys because he's on the hot seat...Then I started thinking about our oline...and I realize we have no vets as backups, I wonder can this turn into the WR fiasco of last year. We have a total of 2 full years of experience behind our starting OL..Seth and German share 1 each of those years. The rest are rookies. Is this really enough to get us though the season. While I feel somewhat secure in Seth, I think German played even less than Seth. And of course the rooks are the rooks. Are our rookies really that good that we don't need a vet? or are we willing to sacrifice this area because of the cap, or do you think they're waiting for TC cuts to pick up vet depth? Our D is loaded, Our O is shadow, very shadow..this includes not really have a #2 Rb who can carry the load if Ricky goes down. We've addressed somewhat the WR position and the backup QB, but Dixon missed some games last year, then nails, We were fortunate at center, rg, and rt. Injuries are a part of this game, and on O are we really prepared to enter this season? What do you guys think?

I think you should stand pat ;)

Seriously, adding a veteran that could play G/T would be a sound strategy.

Dolphins depth at RB is very good and it will be intresting how RB depth chart ends up.I don't have a problem with the young players as backup on the OL and Coaching staff must be comfortable with them because by now they would had sign a veteran.I guess they are waiting for Pads to really evaluate young players and see if they really are capable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming that nobody gets hurt, I think they'll stand pat. Maybe lose Jerman and pick up another veteran tackle. But really, I think they'll go with Seth and Whitley inside, Wade Smith outside for sure. If we carry nine, it'll be Jerman or a veteran who is cut.

If somehow Wade Smith shows he's ready to start at LT (and it's not out of the question), then things get interesting. Do you move Dixon back inside and risk having young Smith and Jerman as your LTs?? Do you cut Todd Perry??

As of right now, the direction of this OL starts with Jamie Nails and Wade Smith.

I think after training camp we will have alot better of an idea where we stand for the O-line. I have confidence in the rookies tho if they start. Right now we have no choice.

I don't think you can make the assumption that a vet is a better player. While experience helps, skills decline. The only way to know if a vet backup is better is to compare his play on film to the films of your young players and the practice of your rooks. I think you can assume that the coaches have done that. They should have a list of players that may be available and that they think may be upgrades depending upon what they see in camp. If they haven't brought in anybody before TC its probably b/c they don't see anybody available who is a clear upgrade.

We are not that shallow. McKinney or Ruddy are both quality starting Cs. Do not tell me he is not ready for that spot he was by far the most immediately ready C in the 2002 draft. The guy with the Saints had more potential, but was less ready. Bentley is his name?

Ruddy, Nails, Whitley, and whoever they choose as the other G. That ain't too bad plus the backup C who will be good. RT we are good and a backup there might be Jerman or Smith. At LT we are offcourse in the trickiest spot but Smith is not a project that would have incredible trouble there. He plays the style of Dixon and would do well.

Every team has it's downsides and it is not like we are putting any of our rookies as starters. You can't be perfect in every sense. The 72 Dolphins 4 and 5 receivers were not as good as the starters. Whooppeee!!!

Every teams season hinges on staying relatively healthy. I am confident with our starting group, and the first couple off the bench. Training camp is to find out who will step up. The front office has shown they will go get someone if they are not happy with what they have. I believe we are thin at the tackle spots as it stands now, but after camp we may have to make difficult cuts if certain people stand out (Jerman, Provost, Pears, etc.).

Originally posted by Jaj
We are not that shallow. McKinney or Ruddy are both quality starting Cs. Do not tell me he is not ready for that spot he was by far the most immediately ready C in the 2002 draft. The guy with the Saints had more potential, but was less ready. Bentley is his name?

Ruddy, Nails, Whitley, and whoever they choose as the other G. That ain't too bad plus the backup C who will be good. RT we are good and a backup there might be Jerman or Smith. At LT we are offcourse in the trickiest spot but Smith is not a project that would have incredible trouble there. He plays the style of Dixon and would do well.

You got to remember, none of our present backups, except for Seth and German, has played a whole year, and neither has started for a whole year..Rookies do hit the rookie wall..And we didn't pick the top rookies in their positions..This doesn't mean they can't play at this level, but we have no proven depth..again, I state I feel comfortable with Seth, but we have no proven T, which is a hard position, and experience does count in this league, look at the number of QB injuries..If 1st round T's take a while to adjust, you know players who are not starting and don't get as many reps in practice will struggle also. I realize we have to cut corners somewhere, but no vet with 3 or more years who can play maybe G/T might be a reciept for disaster. Just MHO is all.

I like our depth at O-Line. This one magazine I read said our O-line individually sucks (player wise, individually) but when they play together they have great moments/games.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

You got to remember, none of our present backups, except for Seth and German, has played a whole year, and neither has started for a whole year..Rookies do hit the rookie wall..And we didn't pick the top rookies in their positions..This doesn't mean they can't play at this level, but we have no proven depth..again, I state I feel comfortable with Seth, but we have no proven T, which is a hard position, and experience does count in this league, look at the number of QB injuries..If 1st round T's take a while to adjust, you know players who are not starting and don't get as many reps in practice will struggle also. I realize we have to cut corners somewhere, but no vet with 3 or more years who can play maybe G/T might be a reciept for disaster. Just MHO is all.

I understand your concern, depth is always desirable. I just question the term "proven" depth. Is a vet who has never played in our system or with our OL any more proven than a guy in his 2nd year in our system? I'm not saying I know the answer or that you're wrong. Just wondering why you think a vet is a guaranteed upgrade.

I think we're gonna be alright. :)

Originally posted by rafael

I understand your concern, depth is always desirable. I just question the term "proven" depth. Is a vet who has never played in our system or with our OL any more proven than a guy in his 2nd year in our system? I'm not saying I know the answer or that you're wrong. Just wondering why you think a vet is a guaranteed upgrade.

Because once I played a little in a league, I got better by the 2nd year, regardless the system, I learned how the new league played and the little things that help make me better. The pros can do things that can't be done in college. The rules are a little different and vets play at a faster and nastier level. Sometimes a rook is awed by this, a vet is use to this and adjust faster. I agree Muck that we should be alright, by I thought that last year with Lucas as a backup..I realized now that he only played part of that one year in NY, and then sat the last couple of years and it showed.

True. While I DO think we'll be ok, it's still a big risk going with so many young guys on the OL. Then again, we needed to get young and deep in a hurry. So that appears to be the sacrifice we made.

Back
Top Bottom