OL are we ready for the season. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL are we ready for the season.

Originally posted by DNY
In reality our depth is better then it was last year. The coaching staff is pretty high on Jerman, Smith is a true LT, McKinney has another year and off season under his belt and you're adding Whitley. Last year we had McKinney, Spriggs, Jerman and Andrews.

Do you think the coach won't sell the players they have as good enough, We have to look beyond the hype, and see the reality.
And that is, we have no proven (Game experience) depth, other than Seth and German, who's only in their 2nd year..not much experience there...Again this doesn't mean that the rookies can't start or play, we just don't know yet.

Wade Smith and Mark Dixon are only the same type player in size dimensions.

Strength and feet they are totally different players. Mark dixon held our team record for 375 lb bench press until Chester came along. He did it 17 times.

Wade barely does 225 17 times.

Wade has great feet and used to be a TE, Dixon has slow feet but survives with strength and technique. Smith has poor technique due to inexperience.

Wade has a higher upside because you can improve strength and technique, but feet don't improve much.

I think the real key to our Oline is how fast Wade Smith matures. I see those unimpressive bench press stats, but wonder when they were taken... at the start or end of the summer program? We know that Smith and Sprigs were not resigned... this tells me that a rapid improvement in WS is happening.

The big question is ... is he maturing enough to start? That puts Dixon back at left guard and Nails at Right Guard. Perry (the Vet) is the first sub at both guards and McKinney the sub at Center/guard. The rest of our depth will shake out.

From what I've read, WS has the pass blocking skills needed to play. It is obviously the run blocking he has to prove.

If he can be our starting left tackle our line becomes one of the NFL's best lines and our Dolphins may win 13 or 14 regular season games... and of course the SB.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

Are you angling for a steal for the Bills//

I hear ya Muck, but clumps right, provost may make it to the ps, if we do him like we did L Henry last year..keep him off the field during PS basically, only let him play 1 series, so teams can't really get a good take on him.

I wasn't even considering Provost because he pretty much has no chance of making the roster. He's behind Jerman. He'll hit the PS. I'm just talking about the guys who will make the roster. :)

Originally posted by Muck

I wasn't even considering Provost because he pretty much has no chance of making the roster. He's behind Jerman. He'll hit the PS. I'm just talking about the guys who will make the roster. :)

That only leaves Smith and Whitney..Plus Seth and German..You don't think Whitney will make it pass waiver huh...Smith has the most upside because playing T, Seth can handle guard\center. Now if we had one Vet. I think we're set.

1972, what exactly does your post refer to?

I throw tantrums about our offseason concerning the offensive line...

Let's just leave it at that.

Can't fill 'em all. They gave it hell.

Kreutz then Gandy.

It's just too much disappointment for me.

Something tells me the Dolphins will be in the market again next year with a failing 25 million dollar offer..

Originally posted by 1972dolphins
Kreutz then Gandy.

It's just too much disappointment for me.

Something tells me the Dolphins will be in the market again next year with a failing 25 million dollar offer..

Getting Gandy would mean no Seau, Buckley, Knight.

Getting Kruetz would mean no Seau, Buckley, Knight, Possibly Jay Williams, Marion etc.

Pretty much the way to look at it.

I didn't think we need starter "big money" OLmen, just decent cheap, backup's. I'm happy with the starters, just know they're injury prone, i.e. Dixon, and Nails has to come back strong..If he can't start the season, then Seth's in and now our backups are really thin, again, we shallow at OL.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Getting Gandy would mean no Seau, Buckley, Knight.

Getting Kruetz would mean no Seau, Buckley, Knight, Possibly Jay Williams, Marion etc.

Pretty much the way to look at it.

:welcome: to cap jail ;)

Back
Top Bottom