OL are we ready for the season. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL are we ready for the season.

I don't know where you get your information from..Mckinnie was so overweight the entire year that he couldn't put his hand down in the "set" position. How's that for overweight ? And McKINNIE also got paid due to his holdout for what seemed like forever..And Gandy is not in his Mid 30's..

Like I said I prefered a 26 year old Turley..While Miami put the offer on the table for Gandy, I was holding out hope for Turley..At 2.3 million for 2003 and 2.3 million for 2004, he's about as cap friendly as it comes..

As for Seau, the information I'm reading says that he got 700,000 in the 2.7 million in his contract for roster bonus from Miami. The rest come from SD. Combine that with the prorated 3 million signing bonus over 4 years and a million dollar base...So your information is contrary to what I just search for on my :badpc: dial-up..

Buckley is not making JACK either...Check it out...

CB Terrell Buckley (2003 cap: $480,000); QB Brian Griese (2003 cap $1.3M); S Sammy Knight (2003 cap: $680,000); KR/PR Charlie Rogers (2003 cap: $475,000); WR Derrius Thompson (2003 cap: $730,000); DT Jeff Zgonina (2003 cap: $880,000).

And at 1 million a year Konrad was a steal.. He got Jacked in a bad market.

All of this is moot though (and please don't make me search for numbers again until next week when I have a capable PC).

It is moot because if you have a need on the offensive line you have a need on the offensive line. Based upon the statistics from last year, the offensive line is the most glaring need...

Last edited by a moderator:
But would 30 million for Gandy or signing a mediocre Turley be upgrades?? Just becuase the highest rated rookie lineman at 22 years old could play overweight doesn't mean a 32 year old Gandy could. Gandy had a good season but playing at least 40 pounds lighter. Throwing the bank at a guy who then goes and ballons up is a very positive development. Dixon couldn't even run until June last year forget about working out. He was then 3rd on the depth chart at LT until August then thrust into the starters role. I'd expect Dixon with a full off season of working out and knowing he's going to play LT to improve his play from last year. My biggest concern with Dixon is him staying healthy.

Before someone jumps on that last sentence in the post, let me say what I have said before and will say again...

Give me any one of those Nebraska Cornhusker National Championship offensive lines and I will give you a 1000 yard running back....

I'm talking about Pass protection...

My biggest concern on the o-line is how far back can Nails come from the achilles tear and then Todd perry. I think Dixon will play better and Wade in a contract year could play much better.

DNY,

I really didn't like the Gandy offer. But the team felt that he was worth the money and I suspect that the contract offered by Miami did not have some assurances that existed in the Saints offer in a Monetary sense.

I disagree with the Turley mediocrity assessment. As you can tell by the contracts of Petitgout, Rosenthal, Turley, Gandy, Williams, and soon to be Pace there is a lack of Top tier tackles in the NFL. Need more proof ? Miami moving there best guard to the outside. It's the market that exists and I don't see it changing. So what are we to do ? When Dixon exits are we then going to take "our best lineman" and convert him into a tackle again ?

At some point we just have to reside to the fact that this is the market for a man that can actually play LT and pay the price...

And Turley can play LT......The Saints have just been loaded on the line...Roaf one year and then Turley the next ? C'mon.....

Turley was a very good RT, an average LT. I agree that the market for LT's is at a premium. The Fins have adrressed , or tried to, the future need at LT with the drafting of Wade Smith.

"First. McKinney isn't a tackle. He's a center/guard. He'd get his rear end handed to him as a tackle."

I hope you appreciate how good Mark Dixon is after making this statement.

Originally posted by DENVERDOLFAN
"First. McKinney isn't a tackle. He's a center/guard. He'd get his rear end handed to him as a tackle."

I hope you appreciate how good Mark Dixon is after making this statement.

DenverDolfan, reread the threads, he was refering to Mckinnie of the Minn. Vikes..

Originally posted by 1972dolphins
I don't know where you get your information from..Mckinnie was so overweight the entire year that he couldn't put his hand down in the "set" position. How's that for overweight ?

Yah lets see him get away with that in the 30's. Also last I heard it was the fact he never learned how to do that stance as he was always in a stand up position in college. Also to presume that just because one phenom can do that some nearly middle aged guy can do it is preposterous.

And Gandy is not in his Mid 30's..

I call 32 entering a 5 year contract middle aged.

Like I said I prefered a 26 year old Turley..While Miami put the offer on the table for Gandy, I was holding out hope for Turley..At 2.3 million for 2003 and 2.3 million for 2004, he's about as cap friendly as it comes..

Expensive enough for a mediocre LT. How about you go talk to Saints fans who have been bemoaning his play at LT all season before he even got traded. Also look into the years after that on his contract. It's not like those years disappear. Not to mention the draft pick (which would have been Eddie Moore). If we were desperate for a RT then great it would have been worth it. He's a solid good RT. We weren't even in the same market as the Saints for Gandy (ours topped out at $3.5 mill a year) again cause we are too up against the cap for it.

As for Seau, the information I'm reading says that he got 700,000 in the 2.7 million in his contract for roster bonus from Miami. The rest come from SD. Combine that with the prorated 3 million signing bonus over 4 years and a million dollar base...So your information is contrary to what I just search for on my :badpc: dial-up..

Yup KFFL has some bad info on Seau it looks like. Hey though thanks for proving my point further by showing just how much WORSE his contract is. Also the info you got is wrong to. So we both got it wrong. He got a $3 million signing bonus plus we eat $700k on a roster bonus plus a $755k (this isn't wrong as it's straight from the NFLPA.) base salary. So he's on tap for $1 692 500 cap wise this year. Next year it's $3 591 667.[/B][/QUOTE]

Buckley is not making JACK either...Check it out...

Uhh you do realize that when I say he is not making jack that is in "jack all" in other words little to nothing. Your arguing a point we agree on lol.

And at 1 million a year Konrad was a steal.. He got Jacked in a bad market.

Uhhh actually that is pretty high up for a FB. FB's don't make much money at all as it's a dying position. Was nowhere near a steal. It was a fair deal for his caliber and age.

It is moot because if you have a need on the offensive line you have a need on the offensive line. Based upon the statistics from last year, the offensive line is the most glaring need...

God if you were going on statistics then there wouldn't be a problem. Jay Fielder being amongst the lowest sacked.....1800 yard rusher. Plenty of teams would die for that. Yes offensive line is a need. Count up all the needs the dolphins have. Now go around the league and see what everyone else has. This is the salary cap era. It's very difficult in this league to have depth. The dolphins are among the best for depth now so who cares if the one spot we aren't sure about is OL (hell 2 of those rooks could come through and turn out just fine making that all moot).

I just don't agree that to fix one problem we ignore several others. Teams really overspent on a mediocre crop of FA's (worse I've seen in 5 years) and I'm glad we didn't sign an 'average' left tackle for millions when we got an average left tackle in Mark Dixon. Especially if Wade ends up taking over the LT spot in 2004. You'd feel pretty damn silly then.

I read the thread. His statement still points out how good Dixon is, wether he made it in error or not.

Dixon moved from guard to tackle and most definitely did not get his a** handed to him. Maybe you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

How did I get into this again ? I told myself I was not going to do it again..:smackhead

Originally posted by ZOD
How did I get into this again ? I told myself I was not going to do it again..:smackhead

Because it's a valid argument...we are defintely not deep on the OL...compare it to the DL and you see a large deflicit. We have a 3 Bil dollar running back playing behind a one injury away OL...which could spell diaster, and no one sees it but a few. I know the FO sees it, but haven't addressed it yet...I guess they want to see the rooks first and then bring in as necessary..I hope our rooks are like Todd Wade, I just don't know that yet. So that makes our depth as OL suspect until proven otherwise.

I got one thing to say..Dave and Rick know what they hell they are doing. I have seen our Line-Man in person and I can tell you this is the best set of OL we had in years. The Rookies are going to be fine. We also have some no names that are adequate and have alot of potential. It's not always about the big name player. If someone happens to be available later on and they are an upgrade to what we have, trust me Rick and Dave will act upon it.

Originally posted by CRAZYDOLFAN305
I got one thing to say..Dave and Rick know what they hell they are doing. I have seen our Line-Man in person and I can tell you this is the best set of OL we had in years. The Rookies are going to be fine. We also have some no names that are adequate and have alot of potential. It's not always about the big name player. If someone happens to be available later on and they are an upgrade to what we have, trust me Rick and Dave will act upon it.

Prove your theory today that we'll okay, and it's not worth talking about. Show me how many Pro players our rooks have gone up against and proven their worth..This thread is not that we don't have the right stuff, but are we sure we have the right stuff..if not, aren't we taking a big gamble..No one has say or can say, who' s right or wrong on this threat, if you note, the thread is in the form of a question for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom