OL are we ready for the season. | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL are we ready for the season.

In a article today, a question was asked, that mirrors my concerns when the answer was given..

"Will either guy, (Jay or Brian) survive behind the offensive line?

In December, the Dolphins believed the best way to improve the offense was shoring up the line. They may still believe it, but they didn't do it, so a team with two quarterbacks with histories of injury will play behind a line with its own history of injuries and suspect depth. Maybe that's why the Dolphins now have two starting quarterbacks."

Another article today says:
• Prospects: Team is built to contend for league title now. Key will be Fiedler/Griese and OL, which doesn't have much depth.

Why isn't it that people here can't see that, It's pretty obvious..the easy answer is, we're alright, the hard answer, is explain how we are alright. Until I see someone give me a answer that will ease my mind, I will be skeptical..Please give me facts on how we're alright at backups. Not I think answers, this doesn't answer the question.

I'm only pointing this out because I don't want you guys going into the season with rose color glasses on..If we have injuries to the OL, this might cause problems..WE DON'T HAVE PROVEN DEPTH right now on the team..that may change, but for me, it's a little concern when I expect so much from this team this year.

It's hard to be experienced when noone will give you a chance to be. In camp these players are watched every day. Wanny knows this is it for him and he's not about to go into a season with players he doesn't believe in. He obviously believes in the players we have as backups or we'd sign someone to come in and give competition. With him not doing that he believes in who we have.

These guys can't become experienced until they get on the field, just like every other player who's experienced. Wanny believes in Jerman and Wade Smith so I will too. They watch them every day in camp and minicamps so they must like what they see.

Just because some writer says we are suspect in depth doesn't make it so, we are suspect in depth of "name" players.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

Why isn't it that people here can't see that, It's pretty obvious..the easy answer is, we're alright, the hard answer, is explain how we are alright. Until I see someone give me a answer that will ease my mind, I will be skeptical..Please give me facts on how we're alright at backups. Not I think answers, this doesn't answer the question.

I'm only pointing this out because I don't want you guys going into the season with rose color glasses on..If we have injuries to the OL, this might cause problems..WE DON'T HAVE PROVEN DEPTH right now on the team..that may change, but for me, it's a little concern when I expect so much from this team this year.

Way to beat the dead horse. Thought I gave you a couple really good ones. This ISN'T the final line. Hell we signed Spencer Folau with what....a week or two before regular season began after Smith blew out? This line is no worse off then last year or the year before that or the year before that. That is why I don't get people freaking out. These guys either will or won't cut it and if they don't cut it in the preseason other cut guys will be signed.

If anything at least were not overpaying for scrubs ala Irwin and not signing bargain basement rejects like Nails (sure Nails turned out ok but when we first signed him he definately wasn't.). We are at least attempting to build a line for the future. 3 3rd round (one being a 2nd next year) and a 6th rounder has to be given the chance in preseason to show their stuff. That's a huge investment placed in these guys. If they aren't cutting it in preseason look for Spielman to scour the cuts and perhaps look at trading 6th/7th's for guys.

Hell do you guys even remember the depth we had in the past few years? We used to have a lot of undrafted guys and projects ala Winey. It was pathetic. There is no way our depth is any worse then previous especially coming back with the same starters with challenges being made by McKinney and hopefully Whitley. The real concern is the tackle depth. Wade Smith looks like he can be a quality tackle just not this year as he needs some developing. Question marks abound about Jerman and then Provost being a 6th rounder. I could see us watching the wires for tackle depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Phinstd
It's hard to be experienced when noone will give you a chance to be. In camp these players are watched every day. Wanny knows this is it for him and he's not about to go into a season with players he doesn't believe in. He obviously believes in the players we have as backups or we'd sign someone to come in and give competition. With him not doing that he believes in who we have.

These guys can't become experienced until they get on the field, just like every other player who's experienced. Wanny believes in Jerman and Wade Smith so I will too. They watch them every day in camp and minicamps so they must like what they see.

Just because some writer says we are suspect in depth doesn't make it so, we are suspect in depth of "name" players.

Phinstd, it doesn't have to be a named player, just players who been in this league awhile and can play, the point you missed is Wanny wanted a LT and didn't get one, can't blame him , he tried to draft one, I'm glad he didn't break the bank to get a FA, I thought our OL was decent, but needed good backups. So you see the results don't match what he said he needs. So them watching the rooks everyday don't say they're satisfied, just mean that's what out there is not what they want, I actually think they have they're eyes on others who may not make a teams roster and will probably try to get them. But if they don't they have to play PR for us..it seems they've done a good job of PR. But I've been playing and watching this game for over 30 years, and I know we have a slight problem. I won't say major problem until I see the rooks in PS..then we'll know better, but I do realize we have a potential problem here, I just throught others would too. I was surprise at how many people don't see this. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, just don't tell me we'll be alright, without some facts to support that..:D

How is somebody supposed to give you facts that we'll be alright?

Give me facts that we'll be alright at any position?

Originally posted by inFINSible
How is somebody supposed to give you facts that we'll be alright?

Give me facts that we'll be alright at any position?

That's easy, Ricky's proven that he can play at RB, Ruddy, Dixon, Nails, Wade, and Perry have proven they can get a back over a 1000 yards, JT has prove he's a good DE, the rest of the D have proven they're the #3 D a year ago..I can get stats for these guys if you want. All these guys have an NFL resume to pull from...Get my drift..Now give me facts that our backup' ol men will be alright?

That's easy, Ricky's proven that he can play at RB, Ruddy, Dixon, Nails, Wade, and Perry have proven they can get a back over a 1000 yards, JT has prove he's a good DE, the rest of the D have proven they're the #3 D a year ago..I can get stats for these guys if you want. All these guys have an NFL resume to pull from...Get my drift..Now give me facts that our backup' ol men will be alright?

Ok by your own standards though then the offensive line starters are fine...it's just the depth. However Ricky Williams goes down and now you have Travis Minor as your starter. How confident are you that he can do an average job vs say McKinney coming in at center or Whitley coming in at guard.

Or say Seau goes down which means Eddie Moore would go to WLB. Or Surtain going down bringing Fletcher/Buckley into that spot. Or Rob Konrad going down and Dyer coming into catch balls. Or Donald Lee coming in for Randy McMicheal.

See what I am getting at? Depth in the NFL is an extreme luxury. You just try to bring in guys who can hopefully not be a total liability if they have to sub in.

Are you claiming that it is a fact that we will get the same amount of production out of any of those players?.....There's no way on earth that you can state for a fact that any one of those players will have a great season.....what you're asking for is impossible....Get my drift?......

I heard crystal balls were good for obtaining facts about the future but, I've never tried one.

You wanted opinions and were seeking reassurance, I assume, when you started this thread.....Some posters have tried to give you the benefit of their viewpoint yet instead of respecting anybodies reasoning you keep asking for something that can't be given at ANY position.

What more do you want?

Infin, you're making my point, the facts are we have proof or reasoning of how our starters perform, not that they will do exactly what they did last year, actually I hope they do better, but with our depth, we have no measuring stick to say how they will do in the NFL..which has been my whole point here. The reason I asked people to give me facts as to why they think we will be okay, is that I couldn't measure our backups, I have no previous NFL games they've played in to base anything. This is why my question is frustrating to you..which should make you understand my whole point. And that's we have no proven depth on OL..which is a little of a concern for me..that's all..Don't get hung up on the proof, because there is none. But understand the intend of the thread was to get us to think about it and realize we're thin...But instead people starting saying we'll be okay, and I didn't understand their rationale, thus 50 post later, I decided to ask for the basis for their opinion. I'm not attacking anyone, but merely seek to understand the logic they use to make they're assumption that we're okay. That's all...and I think people got frustrated when they couldn't make a argument based on facts and stats or any NFL experience, but on I just think so. I of course disagreed with that logic, I used the Lucas situation, I thought he was a good backup..but the lack of game experience showed last year..He played a part of one year and sat the next 2..and man did we pay for it. Don't get bent out of shape on this subject, it's just a reality check.

Originally posted by DNY
In reality our depth is better then it was last year. The coaching staff is pretty high on Jerman, Smith is a true LT, McKinney has another year and off season under his belt and you're adding Whitley. Last year we had McKinney, Spriggs, Jerman and Andrews.

yeah ive read that they are high on Jerman and can play both tackle spots. I believe Wade Smith can play LT for sure. Smith has stayed with everyone so far. And if Smith somehow ends up starting due to injury or soemthin, i believe he will do well enough with ricky in the backfield and a healthy jay/Griese throwin the ball. It is whitley that i am wondering about. They know they have andrews waiting around for a job if they need him.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Ok by your own standards though then the offensive line starters are fine...it's just the depth. However Ricky Williams goes down and now you have Travis Minor as your starter. How confident are you that he can do an average job vs say McKinney coming in at center or Whitley coming in at guard.

Or say Seau goes down which means Eddie Moore would go to WLB. Or Surtain going down bringing Fletcher/Buckley into that spot. Or Rob Konrad going down and Dyer coming into catch balls. Or Donald Lee coming in for Randy McMicheal.

See what I am getting at? Depth in the NFL is an extreme luxury. You just try to bring in guys who can hopefully not be a total liability if they have to sub in.

good point. and i just wanted to point out about Seau that he has started 199 of 200 games. which i read in the "Inside players"
mag i read this week which means seau will not go down easily for those who think he would "peter out".

Infin, you're making my point, the facts are we have proof or reasoning of how our starters perform, not that they will do exactly what they did last year, actually I hope they do better, but with our depth, we have no measuring stick to say how they will do in the NFL..which has been my whole point here. The reason I asked people to give me facts as to why they think we will be okay, is that I couldn't measure our backups, I have no previous NFL games they've played in to base anything. This is why my question is frustrating to you..which should make you understand my whole point. And that's we have no proven depth on OL..which is a little of a concern for me..that's all..Don't get hung up on the proof, because there is none. But understand the intend of the thread was to get us to think about it and realize we're thin...But instead people starting saying we'll be okay, and I didn't understand their rationale, thus 50 post later, I decided to ask for the basis for their opinion. I'm not attacking anyone, but merely seek to understand the logic they use to make they're assumption that we're okay. That's all...and I think people got frustrated when they couldn't make a argument based on facts and stats or any NFL experience, but on I just think so. I of course disagreed with that logic, I used the Lucas situation, I thought he was a good backup..but the lack of game experience showed last year..He played a part of one year and sat the next 2..and man did we pay for it. Don't get bent out of shape on this subject, it's just a reality check.

I'm not getting bent out of shape.....not one person can give proof that ANY of our back-ups will be good enough if called upon but, I've seen alot of posters on this thread give solid speculation that the back-ups will be adequate, which is really all anybody can do....I mean, you saying that we are thin is as much a speculation right now as somebody saying we'll be alright.....That's not a realty check....That's your opinion.....If all those young guys prove to be NFL quality then all of a sudden we are deep on the O-line......It could go either way....I think you're the one getting frustrated that we don't all share your views. Not that you are wrong but why insist that the glass is half empty when it could just as easily be half full? NONE of us know anything for sure...

I guess I'm just an optimist. :cool:

Last edited:
I'm only pointing this out because I don't want you guys going into the season with rose color glasses on..If we have injuries to the OL, this might cause problems..WE DON'T HAVE PROVEN DEPTH right now on the team..that may change, but for me, it's a little concern when I expect so much from this team this year.mdfinfan

no it hasnt been proven. But the facts are that Wade Smith has proven he can stay with everyone so far and is very athletic and smart and a quick learner. They know this from drafting him closely. He is very adaptable. All the kid has to do is learn what Dixon knows and listen to the coaches and he will be fine. will he make mistakes? sure he will. thats how you learn.

I bleive if the coaches are confident in Jerman it is becuase they have watched him in camp closely and watched him grow this past year. that is why he made the roster last year and not someone else. Seth Mckinney has played in two games as a starter. He wasnt great but he learned form that experience and it will carry over to this year. As far as Whitley, i dont know. I just hope he is smarter than what my perception is. I think Provost could surprise if they decide to move him to G. If Provost shows up Whitley, then it could be the other way around. I am kind of hoping their is another diamond in the rough this year in a guy like Jarvis Borum. probably not. OL is the hardest position on the field. i dont care what anyone says.

QB is the hardest position on the field IMO. I think OL is possibly the easiest next to safety of course.

I guess my point was missed earlier when I said if they are happy with who we have and haven't signed anyone else, doesn't that mean there is noone out there who they think is better?

If what we have is the best available then we have to believe in what we have and go with it because it's not getting better. Whitley has enough strength he can maul and be fine if forced into action IMO.

And that's we have no proven depth on OL..which is a little of a concern for me..that's all..Don't get hung up on the proof, because there is none.

Again (/me points to virtually every position excluding Safety, QB.....well maybe even safety). All our backups are unproven hence why they are backups :lol:

Not sure why your picking on the offensive line for. If anything that's the one spot that's been given a much needed injection of youth and many draft picks spent. I'd be more concerned with McMicheal going down or Surtain/Madison or Jason Taylor and big ole timbo then I would the offensive line.

Back
Top Bottom