OL | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL

Besides the draft, I'm sure that they are planning on spending some of the $100 plus million in Cap space on some free agent OL and DL.

I do not receive games on tv and just hear radio.
What holes are on OL?
Dieter, Davis- can they start next year?
Shaq- back up?
How did Prince do?
We need a LT and C?

I suspect Davis, Boehm, Kilgore, Deiter, Calhoun, and Prince return, if not others - at least for OTAs. At least two of those will start in September. My wild guess is Davis and Boehm, though the staff seem to like Kilgore.

The closest to good outside of round 1 were Rex Hadnot, about 6 games of Donald Thomas, and... I guess Samson Satele was ok?
Yes, and how many bombs? Asiata, Martin, I can’t even remember all. Hopefully Grier did not want them and was over ruled by Tbaum.

Yes, and how many bombs? Asiata, Martin, I can’t even remember all. Hopefully Grier did not want them and was over ruled by Tbaum.
Oh this goes way back...to when Grier first started with the Dolphins

OT Todd Wade (2nd round)

OT Shawn Draper (5th round)
OT Brandon Winey (6th round)

OT Wade Smith (3rd round)
OG Taylor Whitley (3rd round)

OG Rex Hadnot (6th round)
OG Tony Pape (7th round)

OT Anthony Alabi (5th round)

OT Joseph Toledo (4th round)

OG Shawn Murphy (4th round)
OG Donald Thomas (6th round)

OT Andrew Gardner (6th round)

OG John Jerry (3rd round)

OT Jonathan Martin (2nd round)

OG Dallas Thomas (3rd round)

OT Billy Turner (3rd round)

OG Jamil Douglas (4th round)

OG Isaac Asiata (5th round)

OG Michael Deiter (3rd round)

I'm not sure I'm ready to worry about grier's past Oline drafting. I have no doubt Flo and Shea will have massive input. They will get the guys they want.

I'm not sure I'm ready to worry about grier's past Oline drafting. I have no doubt Flo and Shea will have massive input. They will get the guys they want.

I don't see how you aren't worried considering that regardless of who the coach has been, we have COMPLETELY MISSED on OL prospects outside of the 1st round. Regardless of who the head coach, offensive coordinator, or offensive line coach has been, we have not been able to find ANYTHING after the 1st round in regards to OL through the draft... we have every reason to be worried if OL is not addressed at least in part through free agency because we have not done a good job of scouting or drafting along the line.

I suspect Davis, Boehm, Kilgore, Deiter, Calhoun, and Prince return, if not others - at least for OTAs. At least two of those will start in September. My wild guess is Davis and Boehm, though the staff seem to like Kilgore.
I wouldn't close the book on Deiter as a starter just yet. It's not like he was a rd1 pick, plug n play day one.
Typically, O-line players take a year to develop, and end up coming back stronger, and far wiser in year two. I may be wrong, but I think the fact that it has been a carousel of inferior players around him made him appear worse than he actually was.

Prince is an interesting case. The one opportunity he got, wasn't nearly the catastrophe I feared it would be. I think if he can improve his technique, and get that pad level down, he can be a force, particularly in the run game.

I really hate to bring in 2 FA tackles. The going rate for good ones is pretty high.

True. Unfortunately the failure to draft/develop OL also spans his entire tenure as scouting director which for the GM is usually the most trusted voice in the draft room.
We've drafted a lot of OL prospects over the last what 16 years hes been on staff? Surely he wasnt the most trusted voice in the room for all those years. I have to believe that Ireland, Hickey, TBaum have had the final call. To think that he was responsible for all of our folleys on the OL seems like a little bit of reach.

I don't see how you aren't worried considering that regardless of who the coach has been, we have COMPLETELY MISSED on OL prospects outside of the 1st round. Regardless of who the head coach, offensive coordinator, or offensive line coach has been, we have not been able to find ANYTHING after the 1st round in regards to OL through the draft... we have every reason to be worried if OL is not addressed at least in part through free agency because we have not done a good job of scouting or drafting along the line.
Not to mention that two of our former coaches (Sparano and Philbin) both had experience as O-line coaches.

We've drafted a lot of OL prospects over the last what 16 years hes been on staff? Surely he wasnt the most trusted voice in the room for all those years. I have to believe that Ireland, Hickey, TBaum have had the final call. To think that he was responsible for all of our folleys on the OL seems like a little bit of reach.
As director of college scouting he used to set the draft board for Ireland. He was basically the go to voice when it came to college players.

As director of college scouting he used to set the draft board for Ireland. He was basically the go to voice when it came to college players.
I feel that man. He had a role for certain in evaluating talent, setting up the draft board, being a voice that carried varying degrees of weight dependent on regime or direction of franchise. The thing the throws me off is that we are burdening 1 person with our lapses or areas of opportunity of identifying talent and developing it. There are several other contributors in our failures in these areas. Parcells, Ireland, Hickey, Grier, Gaine to name a few bigger fish. Along with having multiple coaching staff that were enept in developing talent on the OL specifically, we have a recipe for disaster. It can't just be on Grier, there are alot of moving parts that we as fans are not privy too.

I feel that man. He had a role for certain in evaluating talent, setting up the draft board, being a voice that carried varying degrees of weight dependent on regime or direction of franchise. The thing the throws me off is that we are burdening 1 person with our lapses or areas of opportunity of identifying talent and developing it. There are several other contributors in our failures in these areas. Parcells, Ireland, Hickey, Grier, Gaine to name a few bigger fish. Along with having multiple coaching staff that were enept in developing talent on the OL specifically, we have a recipe for disaster. It can't just be on Grier, there are alot of moving parts that we as fans are not privy too.

Dude this isn't about pointing blame or putting the burden on one person... this is about facts. The facts are we haven't been able to scout even ONE SINGLE OL prospect over a 15+ year stretch... we've found late round gems at various positions, receiver, safety, DL, receiver, etc... but we've never hit on a single OL outside of the first round. You could argue someone like John Jerry went on to have a successful career after the Fins which would show a lack of development, but I mean, that's ONE dude... as another mentioned, we've had head coaches with OL experience and we've still missed... we've had multiple coordinators, coaches, and GMs over the course of the last 15+ years but Grier has always been there and our OL drafting has also always been ****.

I don't want to put the blame solely on him, but I also would quickly identity that finding OL talent is not one of his strengths.

I think Miami has a few decent depth linemen, but lack legit NFL starting caliber talent at that position. Davis might be to only one that might start on other teams.

exactly they are great depth players but jesse davis might be the only legit starter caliber. we need to draft a stud LT and a RT and put davis at RG where he performs best.

to me its : LT - dieter/boehm- Kilgore- davis- RT

Even if Center is Boehm's best position, I want a pro bowl level Center acquired this offseason.

Jim Langer, Dwight Stephenson, Mike Pouncey have spoiled me.

Boehm can be the veteran back up that can teach him everything, and step in when he gets banged up (which happens to our centers all the time).

Back
Top Bottom