Olajuwon, Ewing, Riley selected as finalists for Hall of Fame | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Olajuwon, Ewing, Riley selected as finalists for Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.
70's, 80's, don't forget the 90's when the Phins were 30 wins better than the Jets. Since 2000 the Jets have 2 more wins than the Dolphins. So give us all a break, the Jets are crap.

Sure Zo rode Shaq for a ring, but its not like he wasn't a pretty big part of the team on and off the court. Not sure I can continue to burn Zo for not bringing a team a title in the same era that Ewing, Robinson, Barkley, Malone and a slew of other greats couldn't.

The Jets are crap yet we have been to the playoffs 3 times since your last apperance so if we are crap then what does that make Miami? You guys haven't even been in playoff contention since 2002 and regardless of all your "winning seasons" the facts are you have just ONE more SB title than we have and your latest was 35 years ago while our title was 40 years ago. So to recap we both haven't won many Super Bowls while we have at least been a playoff team 3 times since your last appearance.

As far as Zo goes, spare me w/ the excuse about the other players. At least those other players led their teams to the Finals which was something Zo could never do. The ONLY Conf Finals he made he got b/c half the Knick team was suspended. Heck Miami only made past the 1st rd TWICE when Zo was their best player. Ewing led his team to a Finals, Robinson wound up winning 2 titles(sure he hopped on Duncan's back but he was a big part of their first title), Barkley made a Finals w/ Phoenix, Malone made 2 Finals and Barkley and Malone ran into Jordan in the Finals. Zo had his best Heat teams post '98 and he still couldn't even get to a conf Finals. It's nice he stole millions from the Nets and Raptors then gothis ring riding Shaq and wade's coattails but he was a bit player on that team and he was NEVER a great player.

Zo was along for the ride, Miami would have won that title w/ or w/o Zo. They won that title mainly b/c wade was treated like he was Jordan and shot 20 FTs a game in the Finals. Zo may have had a few good moments but they would have won w/ or w/o him.

As far as the dolphins, you can discount a few years but not a decade. The Jets have been better for a decade and Miami has been an embarrassment much of this decade including nearly going winless a year ago. You guys haven't even been playoff contenders since 2002 so keep talking about the 70s and 80s while the rest of us live in this Century.

They also beat the Mavs because they shot a higher FG% and out-rebounded them and Dirk choked as Haslem owned him......Wade earned his trips to the line because they couldn't defend him. They also beat the snot out of SHAQ and nullified him.

ZO was a pretty important piece for that team. I am not sure they win it without him. Like I said..SHAQ was on the bench down the stretch in all of those games.

As for the Fins...hey...as putrid as you say we have been..Monster said it best. The Jets have won 2 more games than the putrid Dolphins than 2000. So aren't you saying the same thing about your Jets?

Let me explain something to you nyjunc.

I am a heat fan. a few others in here are as well. You can;t find one heat fan to say that ZO was a bit player and not a HUGE part of that championship year.

NOT ONE.

You see....you have to actually have seen the games to appreciate what ZO contributed to that team.

I am not debating this with you. I am TELLING YOU that Zo was a huge part of that team. a HUGE part. Any heat fan would agree. Any fan that saw those games would agree. For the last time, ZO closed most of those games while SHAQ was on the bench.

He was our most important bench player, and in the NBA..a bench is kinda important.

They also beat the Mavs because they shot a higher FG% and out-rebounded them and Dirk choked as Haslem owned him......Wade earned his trips to the line because they couldn't defend him. They also beat the snot out of SHAQ and nullified him.

ZO was a pretty important piece for that team. I am not sure they win it without him. Like I said..SHAQ was on the bench down the stretch in all of those games.

As for the Fins...hey...as putrid as you say we have been..Monster said it best. The Jets have won 2 more games than the putrid Dolphins than 2000. So aren't you saying the same thing about your Jets?

They beat Dallas w/ or w/o Zo and the biggest difference in that series was Wade being treated better than Jordan ever was and absolutely living at the FT line.

Actually I think the Jets have won juist 1 more regular season game but once again we have made the playoffs 3 times since your last appearance in 2001. Sure we have had a few bad years(in '03 and '05 it was all about injuries, this past year we just stunk) but AGAIn you haven't even been in playoff contention in 5 years and haven't made the playoffs in 6 years. For so many years all I heard from dolphin fans was about Miami always making the playoffs even though they were always humiliated in the playoffs while the Jets have made it more and were competitive in their 2nd rd losses in '02 and '04. The Jets have been the better franchise for a decade now, it hasn't been just a year or 2 it's been for a decade. We have owned you head to head and have been the better playoff team.

Let me explain something to you nyjunc.

I am a heat fan. a few others in here are as well. You can;t find one heat fan to say that ZO was a bit player and not a HUGE part of that championship year.

NOT ONE.

You see....you have to actually have seen the games to appreciate what ZO contributed to that team.

I am not debating this with you. I am TELLING YOU that Zo was a huge part of that team. a HUGE part. Any heat fan would agree. Any fan that saw those games would agree. For the last time, ZO closed most of those games while SHAQ was on the bench.

He was our most important bench player, and in the NBA..a bench is kinda important.

You are a Zo fan, you have tried to tell us he's a HOFer when he isn't close. You are trying to make him seem more important than he was. he may have played some valuable minutes here and there but you win w/ or w/o him.

You are a Zo fan, you have tried to tell us he's a HOFer when he isn't close. You are trying to make him seem more important than he was. he may have played some valuable minutes here and there but you win w/ or w/o him.

Let me try this again. I am a heat fan. I am TELLING YOU that I have my doubts as to wether we win that title without ZO.

Every other Heat fan would admit this as well. This is not a debate nyjunc. I am tellign you that he was very important..and important enough for me to have my doubts as to wether we win without him.

Treated better than Jordan? Jordan never attacked the basket as much as Wade does/did and still got respect. I just found it delicious that the most "contraversial call" in that series had photographic evidence showing a foul being committed by 2 different Mavs.

How come nobody mentions that we were the victim of a likely fixed game in that playoff against the Bulls? (The infamous 31 FT to 5 game)

Kiss his ring, the ring he got riding Shaq's coattails? the ring he didn't deserve? We saw for many years what teams did when Zo was leading them.
Ya, make the playoffs year after year? Put up 20 and 10 on a regular basis on 50 win teams? Ya terrible i know.

Your team hasn't made the playoffs since 2001 and you won ONE game last year. You haven't even been legit playoff contenders since '02 so pipe down about results from 10-20-30 years ago.
at least we have a history worth talking about. You dont. Please dont come on other teams boards and tell them to pipe down about 10-20-30 years ago. It is a Miami Dolphins message board first and foremost. We have a great history and every analyst still recognizes Miami as one of the NFL's historic franchises despite the fact theyve been in existance shorter then some other franchises. The Jets are a nothing franchise. Always have been except for one year. So pipe down about nothing accomplishments and 2 more wins the miami for the last 5 years.

Really? who are these players? Coles, Chad and Ellis were drafted by Al Groh. I don't think there is a single Parcells drafted player(thankfully b/c he was awful at drafting) still on our roster. Do some research before you spout things off.

Our drafts have been bad?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2007/04/26/2007-04-26_jet_draft_stock_soars.html.
Oh really? Al Groh was GM the year you drafted Coles, Chad, Ellis, Abe, Coles? Funny I coulda sworn that was Bill Parcells when he stayed on for that 2000 season as GM. Best draft in your sorry teams history and you dont even know who did it? He hired Groh.

2000 - New York Jets
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 12 Shaun Ellis DE Tennessee
1 13 John Abraham LB South Carolina
1 18 Chad Pennington QB Marshall
1 27 Anthony Becht TE West Virginia
3 78 Laveranues Coles WR Florida State
5 143 Windrell Hayes WR USC
6 179 Tony Scott CB North Carolina State
7 218 Richard Seals -- Utah

"In 1999, Bill Parcells retired from football for the second time, vowing that he would not coach again. He remained with the Jets one more year as general manager." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Parcells#New_York_Jets

That one more year was your 2000 draft above. 3 pro bowl level players, a solid qb, and a good blocking Te.

Who cares about the damn winning %, you only have 2 SBs w/ that former great win %. That's just 1 more than the lowly Jets and the lowly Jets have been alot better than Miami in the past decade..
But we've been in 5. You cant even win the division how are you ever going to catch up?

He had a 2 year window when the Knicks were at their peak and he couldn't win a Championship and the Knicks became a Championship caliber team in 1992, do you know how many times from '92- on that Ewing lost to the Bulls? just 3 times. You make it seem like every year they lost to the Bulls.

'92 lost to Chi in 2nd rd
'93 lost to Chi in conf Finals(w/ homecourt)
'94 lost to Houston in Finals
'95 lost to Indiana in 2nd rd(w/ homecourt)
'96 lost to chi in 2nd rd
'97 lost to Miami in 2nd rd
'98 lost to Indiana in 2nd rd

What are the excuses for those other 4 playoff losses?.
Again, supporting cast, the brawl, an unconscious Olajuwon, Reggie Miller.

yeah b/c their college matchup from 10 years earlier was really relevant in 1994. :lol:
It was sarcasm. ;)

It's very clutch to dunk a ball:rolleyes2: How about the finger roll he missed to lose the Indiana series in '95?
Cant pick and choose what you determine as clutch. You either make the shot or miss it. Jordan missed some too, does it make him any less great?

You don't need 4 all-stars around you, he had all-star caliber players in Starks, oakley and Mason. he had more than enough talent to win and never did.
Mason made 0 all star games as a knick. Starks made one. Oakley made one. Again, where is the second scoring option? Bird had Parrish/Mchale. Jordan and Pip. Isiah and Dumars. Olajuwon and Drexler (1 year). Duncan and Robinson. The list goes on. Almost every team that won a title had a consistant second option. John Starks, Mason, Oakley or LJ was never that as a Knick. Sorry, keep trying. :hi5:

You consider Ewing a HOFER? Cause Zo's stats are only a slight step down. He'll get in if its determined he had a long enough run of outstanding play, the shortness of his period of excellence is about the only claim you can make to keep him out.

Wow..that is a misstep. The best draft in Jets history and he gives credit to the wrong guy?

I sensed a little edge toward parcells....

he made the jets relevant. All jets fans should kiss the ground Parcells walks on and for that matter..if there was a mount rushmore for jets ...it would have parcells first..the alcoholic QB second...and third...uhh...uhh...ahh....ehhh....ahhh.....Curtis Martin! I did it!

Wow..that is a misstep. The best draft in Jets history and he gives credit to the wrong guy?

he made the jets relevant. All jets fans should kiss the ground Parcells walks on and for that matter..if there was a mount rushmore for jets ...it would have parcells first..the alcoholic QB second...and third...uhh...uhh...ahh....ehhh....ahhh.....Curtis Martin! I did it!
And Curtis Martin was brought on by....drum roll please...bill parcells.

Let me try this again. I am a heat fan. I am TELLING YOU that I have my doubts as to wether we win that title without ZO.

Every other Heat fan would admit this as well. This is not a debate nyjunc. I am tellign you that he was very important..and important enough for me to have my doubts as to wether we win without him.

Treated better than Jordan? Jordan never attacked the basket as much as Wade does/did and still got respect. I just found it delicious that the most "contraversial call" in that series had photographic evidence showing a foul being committed by 2 different Mavs.

How come nobody mentions that we were the victim of a likely fixed game in that playoff against the Bulls? (The infamous 31 FT to 5 game)

Jordan attacked the basket plenty, every time wade touched the ball they seemed to blow a whistle.

In the '06 Finals Wade shot the ball 139 times and shot 97 FTs.

'98 Jordan shot 70 FTs and took 164 shots against Utah.
'97 Jordan shot 55 FTs and took 158 shots against Utah.
'96 Jordan shot 67 FTs and took 123 shots.

Remember how Jordan got all the calls? how is it that probably the greatest player of all time got all the calls yet Wade went to the FT line so much more? You'll tell me how Wade attacked the basket more but in '06 Wade shot 11 3's while in '98 Jordan shot just 13 yet Wade shot 27 more FTs on 25 LESS FGAs.

Ya, make the playoffs year after year? Put up 20 and 10 on a regular basis on 50 win teams? Ya terrible i know.

It is easy to make the playoffs and he only averaged 20 and 10 4 times during his career.

at least we have a history worth talking about. You dont. Please dont come on other teams boards and tell them to pipe down about 10-20-30 years ago. It is a Miami Dolphins message board first and foremost. We have a great history and every analyst still recognizes Miami as one of the NFL's historic franchises despite the fact theyve been in existance shorter then some other franchises. The Jets are a nothing franchise. Always have been except for one year. So pipe down about nothing accomplishments and 2 more wins the miami for the last 5 years.

again, we have been the better franchise the last decade and overall you have just ONE more Championship than we do. You guys act like you are the Yankees of the NFL.

Oh really? Al Groh was GM the year you drafted Coles, Chad, Ellis, Abe, Coles? Funny I coulda sworn that was Bill Parcells when he stayed on for that 2000 season as GM. Best draft in your sorry teams history and you dont even know who did it? He hired Groh.

Al groh ran that draft. Do me a favor and go check out '97-'99 drafts that Parcells ran and tell me the difference. Groh was the man given the credit for those drafts.

"In 1999, Bill Parcells retired from football for the second time, vowing that he would not coach again. He remained with the Jets one more year as general manager." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Pa...#New_York_Jets

That one more year was your 2000 draft above. 3 pro bowl level players, a solid qb, and a good blocking Te.

I don't care what wiki says, I live through this time here. Parcells told everyone in the World Groh was in charge of the draft, he said groh was the one who traded Keyshawn and Groh took all the heat for the that.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu5B6t...ootball/nfl/news/2000/09/18/keyshawn_groh_ap/

But we've been in 5. You cant even win the division how are you ever going to catch up?

We have won 2 division titles in the last decade compared to your one.

Again, supporting cast, the brawl, an unconscious Olajuwon, Reggie Miller.

The NBA East post Jordan stunk for many years. The heat had more than enough talent to make the Finals but w/ choker like Zo they couldn't just like Georgetown couldn't make Final Fours w/ Zo.

Cant pick and choose what you determine as clutch. You either make the shot or miss it. Jordan missed some too, does it make him any less great?

Jordna missed many game winners but he also made alot. Can't say the same for Ewing and a putback dunk is not clutch.

Mason made 0 all star games as a knick. Starks made one. Oakley made one. Again, where is the second scoring option? Bird had Parrish/Mchale. Jordan and Pip. Isiah and Dumars. Olajuwon and Drexler (1 year). Duncan and Robinson. The list goes on. Almost every team that won a title had a consistant second option. John Starks, Mason, Oakley or LJ was never that as a Knick. Sorry, keep trying.

He had more than enough around him. Mason was always a borderline all-star as was Oak, Starks was really good for a few years.

I already showed you how close Starks was in scoring compared to Pippen, Olajuwon won a title WITHOUT Drexler. The Knicks had the top seed in '93 and couldn't win, if not for a blown call against Chi they may not have beaten the Jordan-less Bulls the following year and the hyear after that he missed a finger roll which would have put them in the conf Finals.

You consider Ewing a HOFER? Cause Zo's stats are only a slight step down. He'll get in if its determined he had a long enough run of outstanding play, the shortness of his period of excellence is about the only claim you can make to keep him out.

I think Ewing was a little overrated but yes he belongs in the HOF, he did make 3 FFs and won a Championship i college plus played on 2 gold medal winning olympic teams. All that counts.

Ewing had 13 20+ PPG seasons, Zo 5
Ewing had 9 10+ RPG seasons, Zo had 4
Ewing had 9 20 and 10 seasons, Zo had 4
Ewing led a team to the Finals, Zo did not
Ewing made 3 FFs in college, Zo didn't make one
Ewing won a college Championship, Zo didn't

They aren't even close.

I love that Parcells turned us from losers to winners but he was a terrible drafter and he was NOT responsible for that 2000 draft.

For all the great things Parcells did here let's not forget that he only had ONE playoff season so how could he be ahead of Namath who won a SB when BP didn't even get us to a SB?

And Curtis Martin was brought on by....drum roll please...bill parcells.

Curtis was not drafted here, he was signed as a RFA. he did better in FA(though he overpaid alot and put us in cap hell as a result).

Parcells was responsible for that 2000 draft nyjunc.

He just was. I don;t know how you can explain that away.

For those Wade stats, you have to remember that Dallas employed a strict hack a shaq that put them in the penalty very early in those games. Wade then handled the ball and attacked, thus got to the FT line.

Jordan never attacked the basket as much as Wade did. Riley even said that part of his playbook..he threw out because he saw how Dallas kept trying to close and trail and thus allowed Wade to get to the basket. it was either dunks or fouls. Dallas chose to foul.

Unlike other teams...Dallas left people open and dared Posey, J-Will etc..to try and beat them. (The Dagger 3 from posey comes to mind as another in a long list of mistakes the Mavs made)

BTW..this "choker" Zo crap is a little funny..especially when ZO always seemed to play his best games in the deciding games.

he did that again in game 6. Remember WHO was the guy that "changed" that game 6 with his blocks and defense.

Parcells was responsible for that 2000 draft nyjunc.

He just was. I don;t know how you can explain that away.

For those Wade stats, you have to remember that Dallas employed a strict hack a shaq that put them in the penalty very early in those games. Wade then handled the ball and attacked, thus got to the FT line.

Jordan never attacked the basket as much as Wade did. Riley even said that part of his playbook..he threw out because he saw how Dallas kept trying to close and trail and thus allowed Wade to get to the basket. it was either dunks or fouls. Dallas chose to foul.

Unlike other teams...Dallas left people open and dared Posey, J-Will etc..to try and beat them. (The Dagger 3 from posey comes to mind as another in a long list of mistakes the Mavs made)

BTW..this "choker" Zo crap is a little funny..especially when ZO always seemed to play his best games in the deciding games.

he did that again in game 6. Remember WHO was the guy that "changed" that game 6 with his blocks and defense.

Parcells told the World they traded away keyshawn b/c that's what Al groh wanted to do and that Al groh was in charge of those decisions. He later tried to take credit for that draft but we all know he didn't make those decisions. Was he involved? sure but it was Groh running the show which is why we had such a great draft after having 3 putrid drafts in a row under Parcells.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/2000/09/18/keyshawn_groh_ap/

as for Wade, I don't care what the circumstances were. He went to the line far too much, anytime anyone came w/in 2 feet of him a whistle blew. he was treated better than Jordna ever was and again I showed you Jordan had 13 3's in '98 compared to 11 for Wade in '06 meaning Jordan took 23 more shots from inside the arc yet went to the line for 27 less FTs.

Zo played his best in deciding games? Then why as a 1 seed twice couldn't he lead Georgetown to a FF? why as a 1 seed in the NBA couldn't mr. clutch lead the Heat out of the 1st rd? Why was he only able to lead his team to 1 conf finals(thanks to the opponent having half it's team suspended)? Clutch players do those sorts of things, Zo was and always will be a choker.

Jet's fans are just upset they are playing in the stadium of the SB champs and don't have a stadium of their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom