Omar Good Bye Song Dedication Thread! | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Omar Good Bye Song Dedication Thread!

Should this really be in the main thread!? Everyone of you hate Omar so good he is leaving. Why is this a main forum topic? Where are the forum Nazis?

I love it when someone gets their nose out of joint and instantaneously compares their perceived injustice to one of the most awful groups of humans to ever exist, which attempted genocide.

The analogy totally tracks well.

A "insert word here" nazi is a common term used to describe the over policing of something. Its not meant to actually imply anyone is a nazi, that being a nazi is good, or that there is any actual deep comparison to be made.

Do you guys like...not speak English? It's not even new, the "Soup Nazi" in Seinfeld is one of the best known episodes/phrases. People say "Grammar Nazi" all the time.

I find it worse that he used the phrase backwards personally. Not allowing the thread to exist would be the situation to use it.

A "insert word here" nazi is a common term used to describe the over policing of something. Its not meant to actually imply anyone is a nazi, that being a nazi is good, or that there is any actual deep comparison to be made.

Do you guys like...not speak English? It's not even new, the "Soup Nazi" in Seinfeld is one of the best known episodes/phrases. People say "Grammar Nazi" all the time.

I find it worse that he used the phrase backwards personally. Not allowing the thread to exist would be the situation to use it.

As a part-time writer and editor in marketing, yes, I speak my fair share of English.

A few points for you to consider:

1) The "Soup Nazi" episode of Seinfeld came out almost thirty years ago. You know what word was pretty "okay" to use back in 1995? "Retard."

2) That episode was used humorously about an individual, not an authority. Those are two completely different connotations. Now, one could (and has) easily make the argument that because one isn't literally equating admins with people who tried to commit genocide, nobody would really care. Most certainly, anyone can fall back on the "Soup Nazi" as an example of something that doesn't offend, they would say.

They. Would. Be. Wrong. <--links

3) I'm not going to tell anyone what words they can or can't use. I'm not the forum police. (See how easy that was?) Everyone is free to say almost anything they want in this great country without fear of legal reprisal. But things simply aren't the same as they were in 1995. I used to be on the platform of "I can say whatever I want! You don't understand what I mean! You're too thin-skinned! Man up! THIS ISN'T OFFENSIVE!"

And then I realized that I don't get to decide for other people what they find offensive. I find it easier and less of a waste of my time to say, "You know what? I'm just going to change the way I do things, because I enjoy getting along with people." When my teenage son does something dumb in the grocery store, I don't call him a retard. I just sigh and shake my head and say, "it's a good thing you're pretty."

You know why? Because I've been in a store before, and I called one of my friends a retard. And a lady approached me, very nicely, and asked me to not use that word. She had her young autistic son with her. And it wasn't some huge dramatic thing, but I could clearly see that what I'd said was hurtful to the kid. And...I felt like a complete dick. So I don't do that any more.

Now, I've had arguments with people over that word, and the semantic debate invariably goes back and forth, and what it comes down to for the extreme opposing point of view is, "I have the right to use that word! You shouldn't be offended by it!" I'm not suggesting that you are that way...but I can guarantee that there are a few posters here of that mindset. And they're right on the first part. They have the legal right to use that word and be a complete douchebag for drawing that line in the sand.

Now, do I think the poster literally meant that the admins were the equivalent of SS soldiers who tried to wipe out an entire race? Of course not. I don't really want the dumbass poster from New England in this thread to die in a fire, either, but it seemed like an interesting and over-the-top way to tell him to go **** himself.

But words like "Nazi" and "retard" mean things to people, regardless of context, and one never knows who might read their posts. It's not my place to tell those people they're wrong for feeling that way. I just find it easier and more polite to NOT use those words.

And since I DO live in this great country, if I find someone topping off a bitchy tirade by using the word "Nazi" to describe someone who isn't actually a Nazi, I'm sure as hell gonna feel free to comment on it.

Last edited:
Preachy tl;dr posts aside, Christopher Titus's routine on what he means by the word is one of the more hilarious things I've ever heard.

Should this really be in the main thread!? Everyone of you hate Omar so good he is leaving. Why is this a main forum topic? Where are the forum Nazis?
no-soup-for-you.gif

The only beatwriter worse than Omar Kelly down here is Chris Perkins. He is a Louisiana boy and has no passion for S. Florida sports.

Back
Top Bottom