One more hubcap stolen from the "Phillip Rivers" bandwagon | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One more hubcap stolen from the "Phillip Rivers" bandwagon

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Yeah I just think its rare for a RB to genuinely be a top 5 talent and Willis McGahee did not strike me as one of those guys.

The good news is that McGahee is completely healthy and you will see a runningback that is NOT THAT GOOD in a stadium near you.

Wanna bet he will have a better than 3.5 YPC against the Dolphins in 2004?

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus in general I get a twitch when someone keeps talking about where a guy WOULD have been drafted had X not happened.

To be quite honest I've been following the draft a while and I find that there's so much movement after these players' senior seasons are over that you can't say with surety where these guys would have been drafted had they gone through the full normal process. My pet peeves are particularly with Ogunleye but it extends onto guys like McGahee too. People say oh he would have been a top 5 pick but you don't know that man. Nobody knows what his workout numbers would have looked like etc.

My argument against drafting a RB in the 1st round that won't be able to play as a rookie is that IMO runningbacks have the shortest learning curve of any position on the field. In fact I think most often, if they don't come out of the box looking good or at least flashing some talent, they probably won't be very good period. So when you are giving up McGahee's rookie season you're giving up a potentially very productive year. Its not like drafting an OT that you know is going to be rehabbing a bit in his rookie year (George Foster) or a QB who will be rehabbing...or even a WR. Those guys, depending on whether the dude is a LT or RT, chances are they wouldn't have contributed much in their rookie years anyway.

Originally posted by baalworship

The good news is that McGahee is completely healthy and you will see a runningback is that is NOT THAT GOOD.

:lol:

You already have a young RB star that was doing that. Draft WM was a slap in Henry's face.

You guys could have used an OL or WR last year with that pick IMO. Henry does a good job for you.

Baal, this is not meant as "smack."

I know that your prior coach has had alot to do with your record, I think that you guys had 3 coaches in 4 years now? That makes it very tough on a team learn new offensive and defensive systems in such a short span...

Hey, lets start a new thread, cause most of us don't know that Feeley is a HOF QB already....I tbought you had to play first....whoa....LOL

Anyways, just a couple of comments bout what has been said already...

Taking Portis probably will be a smart move...he would have been a top 5 pick w/o the injury and the injury was deemed as not career threatening and even if he doesnot come back to quite as good as he was, they still have Henry....Taking a top 5 player, like a QB that may not play the first year is not bad...When picking that high, you have to go for the BPA, not necessarily need...With Bledsoe to work thru the next year or so and Rivers or Big Ben waiting in the wings, with Mullarky as coach, is not a bad thing. IF Mullarky makes something of Bledsoe this year, it will enhance his trade value when you want to start your "franchise" QB. And, a few years ago (83) we did the same thing, and took a QB that may or may not have been the best candidate at #27 because of some doubts about him and we had just come off a superbowl...well, yes we did have a weak QB, but the thought was to bring him (13) in the following year, allowing him time to develop....of course, we all know how that turned out...

For us, this year, we have too many holes to fill, don't have the ammo to trade up into a position to get one of the top 10 players and there is depth for us in areas that we need....In fact, I still think the best thing for us is to trade down and pick up a extra pick. More picks on the 1st day is what we need. I don't think Andrews will be there for us. I'm a little leary of Andrews anyways. I think Smiley would be a good pick, but #20 is a reach for him. Carey has too much baggage for me, but I'm not the one rating him, RS is... My point is that we are all talking OL, and quite possibly, RS is thinking ??? WR, LB, DT, S who knows...

Probably, as long as the Bills don't field an offensive line that packs as much punch as a girl scout troop, yeah he will. The real question is will he get better than a 6.25 ypc...as in 52 carries for 325 yards in 2 games.

Last year's draft dictated the McGahee pick. Tom Donahoe didn't see good value in other options and he wasn't going to draft a player with an inferior value on his board. McGahee was a high risk/high reward pick. His rehab is over and we will see in a couple of months if this was a good pick or not. If McGahee returns to his form pre-knee injury this pick was a steal. 230 lb RB's that run 4.24 40's and have 41 inch verticles with vision and power don't grow on trees.

Look at the Pats. They STILL can't find a decent back and they've been looking for one since Robert Edwards injured himself. Having 2 good young RB's isn't going to kill us.

Now that has to be the best laugh i have had all year. Dolfanreal69

Back
Top Bottom