One Thing Miami Won't Copy From New England? Salary Cap Allocation | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One Thing Miami Won't Copy From New England? Salary Cap Allocation

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
usatsi_11308104.jpg

In the spirit of copying the Patriots, what can the current payroll structure of New England’s salary cap tell us about Miami’s future?

New England has four clear cornerstone players: quarterback Tom Brady ($27M in cap in 2019), safety Devin McCourty ($13.45M), ILB Dont’a Hightower ($10.95M) and cornerback Stephon Gilmore ($9.17M).

Now consider Miami’s roster. The team has two clearly defined cornerstone players — CB Xavien Howard and LT Laremy Tunsil, both on rookie contracts.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...-copy-from-new-england-salary-cap-allocation/

Miami needs to figure this part out. The team has been mediocre for a long time and yet can't keep their top players. Jarvis Landry comes to mind.

Of course, it's easier on salary allocation if you have a top-tier quarterback. You are going to keep that player and pay him. But if you consistently devalue certain positions like wide receiver, why even draft one high? Maybe that's a spot where you fill in much like New England has done.

Maybe you just draft the most critical positions early like DE, CB, OT, QB and fill in the others with low-priced free agents or middle to late round picks.

usatsi_11308104.jpg

In the spirit of copying the Patriots, what can the current payroll structure of New England’s salary cap tell us about Miami’s future?

New England has four clear cornerstone players: quarterback Tom Brady ($27M in cap in 2019), safety Devin McCourty ($13.45M), ILB Dont’a Hightower ($10.95M) and cornerback Stephon Gilmore ($9.17M).

Now consider Miami’s roster. The team has two clearly defined cornerstone players — CB Xavien Howard and LT Laremy Tunsil, both on rookie contracts.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...-copy-from-new-england-salary-cap-allocation/

Doesn't hurt when the QB volunteers a pay cut

In order to have a salary cap allocation strategy, you have to have salary cap worthy players... Its way to early in the process to evaluate their "salary cap allocation strategy"... Lets at least wait to see how they handle Howard and Tunsil... At least...

Hypothetically, if we draft Tua next year, doesnt that make Tunsil less valuable to us? Being a lefty, we would want to invest in a cornerstone right tackle, rather than left tackle.

I think there is a good chance we draft a RT early this year.

Ah, the offseason. Having to manufacture issues to talk about

Well, in the past our team has managed to mess up our cap even thought the team was very low on real talent. They gave out very undeserving contracts to many players and this year they had to get rid of some of those. One way to keep your cap in check is to stop trying to make a splash in free agency every year. Build thru the draft and no trade picks away but rather try to get as many picks as possible. Use free agency to get the missing pieces but don't use free agency to actually build a foundation cause it'll never work.

Until you have a cornerstone QB, you have nothing. Seriously every position should be up for grabs a cheaper player.
I don't think you can win big in this league anymore without a top-10 caliber quarterback. When was the last time a Trent Dilfer type quarterback won a super bowl? And that team was absolutely loaded with defensive talent, pre-salary cap football. Baltimore wouldn't have been able to keep all those defensive players together in today's game. Jacksonville is going to face the same issues when rookie contracts are up.

Hypothetically, if we draft Tua next year, doesnt that make Tunsil less valuable to us? Being a lefty, we would want to invest in a cornerstone right tackle, rather than left tackle.

I think there is a good chance we draft a RT early this year.

It would be foolish to make plans on getting Tua...and even more foolish to let Tunsil get away.

It would be foolish to make plans on getting Tua...and even more foolish to let Tunsil get away.

I'm not saying they would let him walk.

But if they dont take a QB this year and have their hearts set on Tua, they will wan to plan ahead. Besides, we let our RT walk this year, we will need a replacement anyway.

Tunsil could be trade bait if we land Tua.

The fact this new hierarchy organization is being ran, I dont believe Tua is their focus. So drafting a player based on the hope a college QB stays healthy, improved and decides to come out next year is not a sound strategy set up for long term success. However, if the belief is to drastically improve the offense by getting a top notch RT to pair with LT and and improve our anemic offense and inability to sustain drives and score no matter who the QB will be that is something to get behind and believe in.

Personally I'd love a top player defensively, but please dont put this year and next offseason into the hopes we could possibly land a left handed QB.

Flores didnt come here to fail, neither did McKenzie or the guy from Buffalo....this team is rebuilding, but it doesnt have to take more than 2 years or 2 decades like it has been.

Draft football players who make impact plays, that impact games which impact years with high motors and a push me harder coach mentality and we will see incredible growth this season and beyond.

I'm not saying they would let him walk.

But if they dont take a QB this year and have their hearts set on Tua, they will wan to plan ahead. Besides, we let our RT walk this year, we will need a replacement anyway.

Tunsil could be trade bait if we land Tua.

You should have stopped after the first "what if" hypothetical about 2 drafts from now. You know, limit your exposure.

Back
Top Bottom