Our Biggest Strength On Offense/defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Biggest Strength On Offense/defense

phish

Active Roster
Reaction score
is it possible that our biggest strength rather on offense or defense is our defensive backfield? Hear me out......
We drafted a ROY candidate in Minkah. X is finally coming into his own and is becoming a lock down corner. McCain is a top 5 slot corner. We already know about Reshad. TJ gets a full offseason to gel with the rest of the defense. Tankersley is coming off a promising rookie campaign. And to top it all off we get an emerging Lippett back from injury.

Some may argue that our D-line might be our strength but I think it has too many question marks. Last year going into the season you coulda said it was our WR corp but not this year. Definitely not our offensive line or linebackers. I’m excited about the RB position as well as the rookie TEs but have yet to prove anything so far.

What say you ?

With Minkah and Reshad patrolling back there, yes it will be. I don't think people realize how much Minkah will impact this defense. He will be an elite shut down free safety that can blitz and support the run.

I think the elephant in the room is stopping the run. If we consistently give up 5-7 on first down, it's going to be a long day.

If our newfound linebackers can't cover, again long day.

Yes, the secondary should be a top unit, but for it to dominate, everyone else must do their jobs.

I go with defensive end based on talent and experience on defense.
I go with probably the reciever group based on again experience and talent. The oline could be a close second but to early to tell.
I keep posting the new assistant coaches most likely be the difference makers if we have a successful season.

If our offense can score points they way Gase has been promising our Defense will thrive as an attacking unit.

If we are a grind it out type of offense and the defense has to worry about ball possession type offenses, we are screwed.

I go with defensive end based on talent and experience on defense.
I go with probably the reciever group based on again experience and talent. The oline could be a close second but to early to tell.
I keep posting the new assistant coaches most likely be the difference makers if we have a successful season.
I keep forgetting about our new coaches.

is it possible that our biggest strength rather on offense or defense is our defensive backfield? Hear me out......
We drafted a ROY candidate in Minkah. X is finally coming into his own and is becoming a lock down corner. McCain is a top 5 slot corner. We already know about Reshad. TJ gets a full offseason to gel with the rest of the defense. Tankersley is coming off a promising rookie campaign. And to top it all off we get an emerging Lippett back from injury.

Some may argue that our D-line might be our strength but I think it has too many question marks. Last year going into the season you coulda said it was our WR corp but not this year. Definitely not our offensive line or linebackers. I’m excited about the RB position as well as the rookie TEs but have yet to prove anything so far.

What say you ?
I think that is actually pretty realistic. Howard looked like a completely different player down the stretch and someone who could turn into a pro bowl type corner. Tankersley held his own as a rookie and was better than advertised in run support. Lippett is coming back from injury and has some really good ball skills. McCain is coming on. Fitzpatrick is someone I honestly feel could end up being the best player on the entire team a few years down the road.

What say you ?

Bobby McCain is the highest paid slot corner In the NFL and he’s the 5-8th best slot CB. Fins paid him top dollar at his position and would only pay Landry 13 mil? Which means they wanted him, just at their price. And he’s the top slot WR in the NFL. This is the kinda dumb stuff mediocre teams do.

BTW, it was extension for McCain. He wasn’t going anywhere this year. So dumb! This is no knock on McCain either. I actually like him, just shows why they’re not taking the leap from mediocrity.

Last edited:
Bobby McCain is the highest paid slot corner In the NFL and he’s the 5-8th best slot CB. Fins paid him top dollar at his position and would only pay Landry 13 mil? Which means they wanted him, just at their price. And he’s the top slot WR in the NFL. This is the kinda dumb stuff mediocre teams do.

BTW, it was extension for McCain. He wasn’t going anywhere this year. So dumb! This is no knock on McCain either. I actually like him, just shows why they’re not taking the leap from mediocrity.
I have seen McCain ranked higher than that for the slot. Either way the difference in money between him and Landry are huge especially for how limited Landry is. Your compression is way off if we had paid McCain how Landry wanted to be paid then he would have gotten Patrick Peterson/pick a top 3 DB Numbers. You don't pay limited role players like they are completer players Landry shouldn't be getting AB/Julio money.

I have seen McCain ranked higher than that for the slot. Either way the difference in money between him and Landry are huge especially for how limited Landry is. Your compression is way off if we had paid McCain how Landry wanted to be paid then he would have gotten Patrick Peterson/pick a top 3 DB Numbers. You don't pay limited role players like they are completer players Landry shouldn't be getting AB/Julio money.

Cap has gone up over 21% in 3 years. JJs contract was in 2015 so inflation has an effect on Landry’s pay. Which in and of itself may be still be tough to swallow because those two have much higher ceilings. But, guys like Watkins, Robinson, Adams and Thomas are getting paid like Landry. Landry was more productive than most of those guys last year. He’s younger than most. And more reliable than most.

"Only pay Landry 13 million"?? At 13 million he would have been the highest paid SLOT receiver in the NFL and he isn't even the best SLOT receiver!!
Frankly, Landry is not better than Doug Baldwin.

Landry $15.1 apy
Baldwin $11.5 apy

It was smart not to pay Landry as if he is a #1 WR. It was smart to lock up McCain before he hits free agency and having another hole to fill. McCain not only improved EVERY year since he was drafted, he has become a LEADER who players look to for advice and help. Miami recognized and rewarded him for it, which was very smart.

"Only pay Landry 13 million"?? At 13 million he would have been the highest paid SLOT receiver in the NFL and he isn't even the best SLOT receiver!!
Frankly, Landry is not better than Doug Baldwin.

Landry $15.1 apy
Baldwin $11.5 apy

It was smart not to pay Landry as if he is a #1 WR. It was smart to lock up McCain before he hits free agency and having another hole to fill. McCain not only improved EVERY year since he was drafted, he has become a LEADER who players look to for advice and help. Miami recognized and rewarded him for it, which was very smart.

Whoa, slow down trigger. Did you compare their stats last year? I just did...more TDs and catches by Landry. Almost identical yards. You’re gonna say ya but his YARDS PER CATCH were SO LOW! Did he move the ball forward and how many times people!?!? Sheesh... and Baldwin will be 30 beginning of this season...and Landry returned kicks. Sorry pal, you’re wrong. Baldwin on his decline.

Baldwin is 5x the complete WR than Landry is.

Landry was force fed the ball and is one of the most inefficient WRs in the NFL and a large reason why Miami’s passing efficiency has been pretty bad since he’s been here.

Back
Top Bottom