Our Future Drafts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Future Drafts

ChambersWI

Going Ghost
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

So in the next 2 years as of right now we have 10 draft picks in the top 3 rounds. To go along with that the next to draft classes are expected to be loaded. So here are the points I want to use for hopefully a good debate. Chris Grier has done a great job of clearing up cap space and gaining draft picks, but can he be trusted with the picks? That is what we will soon find out. Honestly, with the amount of picks we will have, even being slightly competent should add some building blocks.

Be frustrated in the moment, but enjoy the process

:roflmao:roflmao:roflmao

I don't know if this list is including the 2020 4th round pick Miami traded to the Texans or the 5th round pick they traded to the Titans in the Tannehill deal. The list shows Miami still has their own picks in those rounds and I believe they were traded.

I just hope Grier knows what hes doing. Anyone seen much of Wilkins yet? I havent paid much attention but I havent noticed him.

So in the next 2 years as of right now we have 10 draft picks in the top 3 rounds. To go along with that the next to draft classes are expected to be loaded. So here are the points I want to use for hopefully a good debate. Chris Grier has done a great job of clearing up cap space and gaining draft picks, but can he be trusted with the picks? That is what we will soon find out. Honestly, with the amount of picks we will have, even being slightly competent should add some building blocks.

Be frustrated in the moment, but enjoy the process

Good points.

Almost anything is possible with the next few drafts. A lot of flexibility. They could even draft a second QB if Pittsburgh has a bad year. Many teams would give up a lot to get a top 10 QB.

With the Steelers losing Roethlisberger, that pick could be pretty high next year. Maybe Houston could fall on their face as well. It would be amazing to have 3 picks in the first 10 overall.

Saints will be without Brees for a while as well - early second rounder :).

As this shows, I don't think he's done a great job at selecting talent (although a lot of people question who was making what picks.)

Grier's Drafts

2016:

Laremy Tunsil (R1) - TRADED for high draft picks
Xavien Howard (R2) - Pro Bowl
Kenyan Drake (R3) - Splitting time at RB
Leonte Caroo (R3) - GONE [Out of the League]
Jakeem Grant (R6) - Starter. Resigned to multi-year deal
Jordan Lucas (R6) - GONE [KC]
Brandon Doughty (R7) - GONE [Out of the League]
Thomas Duarte (R7) - GONE [Out of the League]

2017:
Charles Harris (R1) - Very mediocre starter
Raekwon McMillain (R2) - Very mediocre starter

Cordrea Tankersley (R3) - Only really played 1 season, currently on PUP list
Isaac Asiata (R5) - GONE [Out of the League]

Davon Godchaux (R5) - Mediocre starter
Vincent Taylor (R6) - GONE [Currently Unsigned]
Isaiah Ford (R7) - Practice Squad

2018:
Minkah Fitzpatrick (R1) - TRADED for Pitt 1st Rd Pick
Mike Gesicki (R2) - Very mediocre starter
Jerome Baker (R3) - Promising starter
Durham Smyth (R4) - Role player
Kalen Ballage (R4) - Splitting time at RB

Cornell Armstrong (R6) - GONE [Unsigned]
Quentin Polling (R7) - GONE [Unsigned]

Jason Sanders (R8) - Starter

2019:
Christian Wilkins (R1) - In Starting Rotation
[Josh Rosen] (R2) - Backup. Doesn't seem to be in plan for future
Michael Deiter (R3) - Starter
Andrew Van Ginkel (R5) - Injured for the Season
Isaiah Prince (R6) - Backup. Has looked atrocious
Chandler Cox (R7) - Blocking FB
Myles Gaskin (R7) - Backup - 5th String
HONORABLE MENTION - Preston Williams (UFA) - Most promising rookie on the team

Color Code:
Purple = Elite Player
Blue = Good Player Traded Away
Green = Solid Player
Yellow = Average Player
Red = Garbage Player

His best draft was 2016 and he only really got 3 players out of it, 1 of which he already flipped for more lottery tickets. It was also the only draft he got a pro bowl player out of. 2017 was horrid. 2018 looks pretty bad at the moment too because the one good player you got out of it was just traded for essentially a deferred lottery ticket at around the same position. Might just end up with a decent LB and a kicker out of that draft. 2019 way too early to tell, but at the moment only looks like Wilkins and Deiter have any kind of longterm future with the team. That isn't a great track record.

That being said, one thing I really do like about Grier's approach vs when Tannenbaum was leading the team is that he maximizes his opportunities with draft picks. T-bum would throw out picks like he was in the champagne room to the point he really only got around 5 selections. Grier is taking an approach similar to Jimmy Johnson.

I was looking at JJ's Dolphins drafts earlier:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1996&year_max=1999&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&pick_type=overall&team_id=mia&pos[]=qb&pos[]=rb&pos[]=wr&pos[]=te&pos[]=e&pos[]=t&pos[]=g&pos[]=c&pos[]=ol&pos[]=dt&pos[]=de&pos[]=dl&pos[]=ilb&pos[]=olb&pos[]=lb&pos[]=cb&pos[]=s&pos[]=db&pos[]=k&pos[]=p&conference=any&show=all&order_by=default#results::none

He came into every draft with a ton of draft capital. While he drafted a lot of stinkers, he always came away with at least 2 elite players who would go on to become the foundation of the team (specifically defense) which would carry them for almost a decade.

So even though Grier's drafts haven't set the world on fire, the approach may lead to a higher hit rate of elite players being drafted than we've seen in the past just due to the more tickets in the raffle we have. More tickets = more chances to win.

That being said, I really don't like the way Grier is approaching jettisoning proven young talent from recent drafts for more lottery tickets. Those players were supposed to be foundational pieces. We spent time and energy in developing them. They could have been seasoned when a QB gets here making the transition to playoff team easier and quicker. But now the entire timetable has been set back by essentially deferring those picks with another roll of the dice.

I hope, if we retain Grier, he uses this haul to flip for future picks to keep his annual draft haul rather large like JJ did.

Last edited:
I just hope Grier knows what hes doing. Anyone seen much of Wilkins yet? I havent paid much attention but I havent noticed him.

He has been solid at eating up blocks. Now for the 13th pick in the draft you want more especially when the team lacks pass rushers, but he doesn't look out of place

Playing alright taking on double teams, he’s a defensive tackle so he’s not going to make amazing plays every game. Not to mention our defense plays 3/4ths of the game since our offense can’t stay on the field for a big guy like him it’s tough. We won’t see his true potential until we get the offense going and he can play fresh.

Back
Top Bottom