Our Future Drafts | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Future Drafts

I don’t know. Is this kind of stupid to have this many high draft picks?

1) these contracts will all come due at the same time.

2) you need a good mix of rookies and FAs. So what if high pick rookies are on the bubble, and get picked off the PS?

3) Awesome, how good will we do if we focus on QB and OL. A rookie QB and 3(?) rookies on the OL potentially?

I love the concept of having all the pics, but how well will it be managed.

I just hope Grier knows what hes doing. Anyone seen much of Wilkins yet? I havent paid much attention but I havent noticed him.
To me he looks solid for two games into his pro career as a starter. He has a lot to learn.

Rumor has it Miami will aquire all 32 1st round picks in the 2020 draft and somehow manage to strike out on all 32.

With this haul, if we don't leave this draft with at least one perrennial pro bowler it will have been a failure. This team has been lacking elite players for far too long. For almost a decade, it was Cam Wake and nothing else. Now its Xavien and nothing else. Need to hit on some game changers.

Obviously QB is the big one, but we also need to build an identity with some elite players. This has been one of the most boring organizations in the NFL once Ricky left and JJ's all-stars retired.

So in the next 2 years as of right now we have 10 draft picks in the top 3 rounds. To go along with that the next to draft classes are expected to be loaded. So here are the points I want to use for hopefully a good debate. Chris Grier has done a great job of clearing up cap space and gaining draft picks, but can he be trusted with the picks? That is what we will soon find out. Honestly, with the amount of picks we will have, even being slightly competent should add some building blocks.

Be frustrated in the moment, but enjoy the process

So for the rebuilding process over the next two years of the 2020 and 2021 drafts we'll have the following draft assets:
1st Rounders: 5
2nd Rounders: 4
3rd Rounders: 3
4th Rounders: 3
5th Rounders: 3
6th Rounders: 3
7th Rounders: 3

That's 24 draft picks over two years. Assuming the 1st and 2nd rounders become starters, that's 9 new starters. Expecting role players at various rates of rounds 3-7, that projects to about 5 additional role players. Add in two FA starters each year (because we'll have a lot of salary cap), that's 13 new starters and 5 additional role players. Not too shabby. Assuming we keep 6 of our current roster starters, that's 24 starters (9 draft picks, 4 FA's, 5 role players, 6 current players) which is enough for a starting offense and defense with one additional starter on each side of the ball (extra DB, extra WR), so it is very reasonable to assume that we can completely rebuild this team in 2 years time.

Given how much young talent we'll have, there's also a very real chance that 3-5 years from now we'll be in position to overtake the Patriots for the division title and become a legitimate Super Bowl challenger. I like it!

........................................................Championshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip!

As my sig shows, I don't think he's done a great job at selecting talent (although a lot of people question who was making what picks.)

His best draft was 2016 and he only really got 3 players out of it, 1 of which he already flipped for more lottery tickets. It was also the only draft he got a pro bowl player out of. 2017 was horrid. 2018 looks pretty bad at the moment too because the one good player you got out of it was just traded for essentially a deferred lottery ticket at around the same position. Might just end up with a decent LB and a kicker out of that draft. 2019 way too early to tell, but at the moment only looks like Wilkins and Deiter have any kind of longterm future with the team. That isn't a great track record.

That being said, one thing I really do like about Grier's approach vs when Tannenbaum was leading the team is that he maximizes his opportunities with draft picks. T-bum would throw out picks like he was in the champagne room to the point he really only got around 5 selections. Grier is taking an approach similar to Jimmy Johnson.

I was looking at JJ's Dolphins drafts earlier:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1996&year_max=1999&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&pick_type=overall&team_id=mia&pos[]=qb&pos[]=rb&pos[]=wr&pos[]=te&pos[]=e&pos[]=t&pos[]=g&pos[]=c&pos[]=ol&pos[]=dt&pos[]=de&pos[]=dl&pos[]=ilb&pos[]=olb&pos[]=lb&pos[]=cb&pos[]=s&pos[]=db&pos[]=k&pos[]=p&conference=any&show=all&order_by=default#results::none

He came into every draft with a ton of draft capital. While he drafted a lot of stinkers, he always came away with at least 2 elite players who would go on to become the foundation of the team (specifically defense) which would carry them for almost a decade.

So even though Grier's drafts haven't set the world on fire, the approach may lead to a higher hit rate of elite players being drafted than we've seen in the past just due to the more tickets in the raffle we have. More tickets = more chances to win.

That being said, I really don't like the way Grier is approaching jettisoning proven young talent from recent drafts for more lottery tickets. Those players were supposed to be foundational pieces. We spent time and energy in developing them. They could have been seasoned when a QB gets here making the transition to playoff team easier and quicker. But now the entire timetable has been set back by essentially deferring those picks with another roll of the dice.

I hope, if we retain Grier, he uses this haul to flip for future picks to keep his annual draft haul rather large like JJ did.

Excellent post. Again the concern about Grier that is valid is how much say or no say did he have over the last several years. Also you have to question if some of the voices changing in places of power (ie Allen, McKenzie, and Engroff) will have more of an impact than the old voices

this ain't your father's nfl. stop drafting for 3 yards and a cloud of dust. use high picks on impact skill players, pass rush and lb/corners and use scheme and FA to get impact elsewhere.

Miami needs to make up for 2019 by adding a slew of players that draw fans to the stadium. Win or lose in 2020 the team needs to have an air of excitment and entertainment.

So for the rebuilding process over the next two years of the 2020 and 2021 drafts we'll have the following draft assets:
1st Rounders: 5
2nd Rounders: 4
3rd Rounders: 3
4th Rounders: 3
5th Rounders: 3
6th Rounders: 3
7th Rounders: 3

That's 24 draft picks over two years. Assuming the 1st and 2nd rounders become starters, that's 9 new starters. Expecting role players at various rates of rounds 3-7, that projects to about 5 additional role players. Add in two FA starters each year (because we'll have a lot of salary cap), that's 13 new starters and 5 additional role players. Not too shabby. Assuming we keep 6 of our current roster starters, that's 24 starters (9 draft picks, 4 FA's, 5 role players, 6 current players) which is enough for a starting offense and defense with one additional starter on each side of the ball (extra DB, extra WR), so it is very reasonable to assume that we can completely rebuild this team in 2 years time.

Given how much young talent we'll have, there's also a very real chance that 3-5 years from now we'll be in position to overtake the Patriots for the division title and become a legitimate Super Bowl challenger. I like it!

........................................................Championshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip!
That’s ridiculous. By the way..... The NFL draft is 220 days away.

I don't trust Grier with all of those draft picks.

2) you need a good mix of rookies and FAs. So what if high pick rookies are on the bubble, and get picked off the PS?

3) Awesome, how good will we do if we focus on QB and OL. A rookie QB and 3(?) rookies on the OL potentially?

Obviously can't be positive, but 99% sure we trade a pick or two or three between years. We are not fixing this team in 1 year so trading a first round pick for a first the following and a second.... Skies the limit.

Can someone confirm... Didn't Miami trade it's 2020 4th round pick in the Titans deal and the 5th in the Tannehill deal?

With this haul, if we don't leave this draft with at least one perrennial pro bowler it will have been a failure. This team has been lacking elite players for far too long. For almost a decade, it was Cam Wake and nothing else. Now its Xavien and nothing else. Need to hit on some game changers.

Obviously QB is the big one, but we also need to build an identity with some elite players. This has been one of the most boring organizations in the NFL once Ricky left and JJ's all-stars retired.

And you know what X was? A reach, Seriously, his draft class was not good on CBs... to many the class was Vernon Hargraves, William Jackson, and everybody else. We traded up for X because we wanted tall CBs that could develop. If you look at X's film from Baylor he was up and down. Hell against Mitchell Trubisky and UNC he did not look like an NFL prospect at all. But the team took elite athletic ability and developed him. We need more of that

Its why you will likely see Miami be very open to trading for future picks to continue having a foundation of picks.

Miami has to grab all pro types in round 1, and if its not there, you get value and move out. Use rounds 2, 3 and 4 to build your roster.

Play to the drafts strengths.

Back
Top Bottom