Our Future Drafts | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Future Drafts

With the Steelers losing Roethlisberger, that pick could be pretty high next year. Maybe Houston could fall on their face as well. It would be amazing to have 3 picks in the first 10 overall.

Saints will be without Brees for a while as well - early second rounder :).

Was just going to point out the same things. ;)

Too bad JAX couldn't pull of that 2 pt conversion yesterday to bury the Texans at 0-2. BUMMER!

But things are looking promising with Big Ben out for the season and Drew Brees out for 6 weeks. 3-3 is still probable for the Saints, but let's cross our fingers for 2-4 or worse.

Trade out of the #1 spot this year and pick up another slew of picks. Maybe net a couple of more number ones and much more over the next couple of years.

I'm on record being on the Tua train. BUT, if the Dolphins aren't sold on him (should he actually declare) then I'd be fine with taking advantage of trading such a highly coveted draft selection. Look what the 49ers got in return from Chicago a couple years ago just to move down one spot to #3 so that the Bears could draft Mitch Trubisky #2.

The #1 pick and the allure of a hyped up QB such as Tua should demand a King's ransom in return.

To be clear, I'd rather take the QB this year if they believe he's the right guy. But if they don't, I'm ok with acquiring even more capital and trading down to take another QB they like or to wait until the 2021 draft.

I meant the Tunsil pick that was a potentially good pick top of the 4th

As this shows, I don't think he's done a great job at selecting talent (although a lot of people question who was making what picks.)

Grier's Drafts

2016:

Laremy Tunsil (R1) - TRADED for high draft picks
Xavien Howard (R2) - Pro Bowl
Kenyan Drake (R3) - Splitting time at RB
Leonte Caroo (R3) - GONE [Out of the League]
Jakeem Grant (R6) - Starter. Resigned to multi-year deal
Jordan Lucas (R6) - GONE [KC]
Brandon Doughty (R7) - GONE [Out of the League]
Thomas Duarte (R7) - GONE [Out of the League]

2017:
Charles Harris (R1) - Very mediocre starter
Raekwon McMillain (R2) - Very mediocre starter

Cordrea Tankersley (R3) - Only really played 1 season, currently on PUP list
Isaac Asiata (R5) - GONE [Out of the League]

Davon Godchaux (R5) - Mediocre starter
Vincent Taylor (R6) - GONE [Currently Unsigned]
Isaiah Ford (R7) - Practice Squad

2018:
Minkah Fitzpatrick (R1) - TRADED for Pitt 1st Rd Pick
Mike Gesicki (R2) - Very mediocre starter
Jerome Baker (R3) - Promising starter
Durham Smyth (R4) - Role player
Kalen Ballage (R4) - Splitting time at RB

Cornell Armstrong (R6) - GONE [Unsigned]
Quentin Polling (R7) - GONE [Unsigned]

Jason Sanders (R8) - Starter

2019:
Christian Wilkins (R1) - In Starting Rotation
[Josh Rosen] (R2) - Backup. Doesn't seem to be in plan for future
Michael Deiter (R3) - Starter
Andrew Van Ginkel (R5) - Injured for the Season
Isaiah Prince (R6) - Backup. Has looked atrocious
Chandler Cox (R7) - Blocking FB
Myles Gaskin (R7) - Backup - 5th String
HONORABLE MENTION - Preston Williams (UFA) - Most promising rookie on the team

Color Code:
Purple = Elite Player
Blue = Good Player Traded Away
Green = Solid Player
Yellow = Average Player
Red = Garbage Player

His best draft was 2016 and he only really got 3 players out of it, 1 of which he already flipped for more lottery tickets. It was also the only draft he got a pro bowl player out of. 2017 was horrid. 2018 looks pretty bad at the moment too because the one good player you got out of it was just traded for essentially a deferred lottery ticket at around the same position. Might just end up with a decent LB and a kicker out of that draft. 2019 way too early to tell, but at the moment only looks like Wilkins and Deiter have any kind of longterm future with the team. That isn't a great track record.

That being said, one thing I really do like about Grier's approach vs when Tannenbaum was leading the team is that he maximizes his opportunities with draft picks. T-bum would throw out picks like he was in the champagne room to the point he really only got around 5 selections. Grier is taking an approach similar to Jimmy Johnson.

I was looking at JJ's Dolphins drafts earlier:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1996&year_max=1999&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&pick_type=overall&team_id=mia&pos[]=qb&pos[]=rb&pos[]=wr&pos[]=te&pos[]=e&pos[]=t&pos[]=g&pos[]=c&pos[]=ol&pos[]=dt&pos[]=de&pos[]=dl&pos[]=ilb&pos[]=olb&pos[]=lb&pos[]=cb&pos[]=s&pos[]=db&pos[]=k&pos[]=p&conference=any&show=all&order_by=default#results::none

He came into every draft with a ton of draft capital. While he drafted a lot of stinkers, he always came away with at least 2 elite players who would go on to become the foundation of the team (specifically defense) which would carry them for almost a decade.

So even though Grier's drafts haven't set the world on fire, the approach may lead to a higher hit rate of elite players being drafted than we've seen in the past just due to the more tickets in the raffle we have. More tickets = more chances to win.

That being said, I really don't like the way Grier is approaching jettisoning proven young talent from recent drafts for more lottery tickets. Those players were supposed to be foundational pieces. We spent time and energy in developing them. They could have been seasoned when a QB gets here making the transition to playoff team easier and quicker. But now the entire timetable has been set back by essentially deferring those picks with another roll of the dice.

I hope, if we retain Grier, he uses this haul to flip for future picks to keep his annual draft haul rather large like JJ did.

Godchaux is not a mediocre player, Drake is the best back we have but you must think about how many of those picks were influenced by the scheme and HC we had at that moment. Flores knows what he wants.

giphy.gif

I'm literally salivating & licking my chops at the potential of our 2020 draft. Get Tua and a couple of other studs. God damn the future could be really bright!

So in the next 2 years as of right now we have 10 draft picks in the top 3 rounds. To go along with that the next to draft classes are expected to be loaded. So here are the points I want to use for hopefully a good debate. Chris Grier has done a great job of clearing up cap space and gaining draft picks, but can he be trusted with the picks? That is what we will soon find out. Honestly, with the amount of picks we will have, even being slightly competent should add some building blocks.

Be frustrated in the moment, but enjoy the process

he absolutely cannot be trusted with the picks,. I have no doubt he'll trade up for a bust with some of those picks thus negating having them all. And he'll likely take high floor low ceiling guys that aren't difference makers if not complete busts. It's literally what he's done the whole time he's been here (not just these past few years as G.M.). It's been his scouting reports that have dictated all of our abysmal drafts since 2007 hasn't it. He's pretty much the worst talent evaluator in the game. That Ross doesn't see that Grier is literally responsible for our need to tank is why the NFL should force him to sell the team.

If we get a qb the rest will figure itself out..
however if we lose 40-6 all year do we trust these same guys to coach the talent

Cool post but Grier had 1 draft was last year. Tbum made that mess.

So in the next 2 years as of right now we have 10 draft picks in the top 3 rounds. To go along with that the next to draft classes are expected to be loaded. So here are the points I want to use for hopefully a good debate. Chris Grier has done a great job of clearing up cap space and gaining draft picks, but can he be trusted with the picks? That is what we will soon find out. Honestly, with the amount of picks we will have, even being slightly competent should add some building blocks.

Be frustrated in the moment, but enjoy the process

Allen and McKenzie help a lot here.

Cool post but Grier had 1 draft was last year. Tbum made that mess.

Wait. I thought we didn’t know definitively who decided what. Now it’s tannenbaum made every decision? Funny, the same exact people were lauding Grier after the 2016 draft and saying he’s finally running things as gm which a couple years later we found out he had absolutely nothing to do with. Wait or is it we just don’t know. The Grier apologists keep changing their story every year it’s hard to keep up

What I don't understand is how everyone is using what they THINK will happen in next year's draft to view the draft picks this FO now has acquired negatively, and why so many people are clamoring for Chris Grier's head SEVEN MONTHS before the draft.

The one thing that I found most encouraging this past offseason is that nobody in the front office tried to portray themselves as the smartest guy in the room. We saw how well that worked for the previous two seasons, and we see how well that's working in New York. The Jets are a freaking disaster, they're not much better than the Fins, and the Fins are setting themselves up to lose ON PURPOSE.

Grier hired McKenzie, Allen, and Caldwell as assistants...I doubt he did that just to have them hang out. I'm certain they're aware of what they have now. IF the Fins end up with 3 picks in the top half of the draft next year and two picks in the top half of 2021, this can set up the team very, very well for a good 4-5 years in the draft through trade backs. They won't have to hit on every single one of their picks, they just can't miss on all of them.

This is about more than just getting Tua at this point.

Back
Top Bottom