Our Future Drafts | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Future Drafts

I think that's exactly what happens, especially the last of the 3 1st round picks. Someone will look to come up for a player they want. It almost happened last year, but Grier turned down Philly, who was offering a 1st rounder in 2020 to move up to Miami's spot. This time, I think Grier will take the offer.

I had forgotten about that!

Still looks like the right decision via hindsight. I mean, would you rather have Philly's 2020 1st rounder or Pittsburgh's?

As long as the qb is pick #1 Miami has finally learned.

Then grab a Jeudy type and trade out of the 3rd pick for a 1st next year and more 2nds this year.

Always have 2 firsts every year for potential gold.

I'd love to get Jeudy. But I'd also love to get Chase Young.

Can they get ALL three??? LOL.

As of yesterday......

2020 Draft
1st round: Their own pick, the Texans’ pick and the Steelers’ pick

Holy cow! If Pittsburgh stinks and Houston’s offensive line continues to be a problem … this could be even more of an embarrassment of riches.
2nd round: Their own pick and the Saints’ pick

The Dolphins got New Orleans’ 2020 second-rounder because the Saints moved up in last year’s draft to take center Erik McCoy with the 48th pick.
3rd round: Their own pick, and possibly a compensatory pick

That last one is because RT Ja’Wuan James signed with the Broncos, per NFL.com.
4th round: The Titans’ pick

That’s the selection from the Ryan Tannehill trade. They traded their own fourth-rounder in the Fitzpatrick deal.
5th round: A possible compensatory pick and the Steelers’ pick

Pass rusher Cameron Wake signed with the Titans last offseason, so the Dolphins are projected to get a fifth-rounder for him.
6th round: Their own pick, the Cowboys’ selection

The trade for Robert Quinn got them this pick from Dallas.
7th round: Their own pick and the Chiefs’ selection

2021 Draft
1st round: Their own pick and the Texans’ pick

Thanks, Laremy Tunsil trade!
2nd round: Their own pick and the Texans’ pick

Man, if the Texans are bad this year or next year …
3rd round: Their own pick
4th round: Their own pick
5th round: Their own pick
6th round: The Steelers’ pick

They dealt their own pick in the Tunsil trade.
7th round: No pick

The Steelers got this one in the Fitzpatrick deal.

So for the rebuilding process over the next two years of the 2020 and 2021 drafts we'll have the following draft assets:
1st Rounders: 5
2nd Rounders: 4
3rd Rounders: 3
4th Rounders: 3
5th Rounders: 3
6th Rounders: 3
7th Rounders: 3

That's 24 draft picks over two years. Assuming the 1st and 2nd rounders become starters, that's 9 new starters. Expecting role players at various rates of rounds 3-7, that projects to about 5 additional role players. Add in two FA starters each year (because we'll have a lot of salary cap), that's 13 new starters and 5 additional role players. Not too shabby. Assuming we keep 6 of our current roster starters, that's 24 starters (9 draft picks, 4 FA's, 5 role players, 6 current players) which is enough for a starting offense and defense with one additional starter on each side of the ball (extra DB, extra WR), so it is very reasonable to assume that we can completely rebuild this team in 2 years time.

Given how much young talent we'll have, there's also a very real chance that 3-5 years from now we'll be in position to overtake the Patriots for the division title and become a legitimate Super Bowl challenger. I like it!

........................................................Championshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip!

'Assuming the 1st and 2nd rounders become starters'?

When you 'assume' you make an ass out of u & me.

I believe a 4th went to the Texans in the Tunsil trade and the other went to the Steelers in the Minkah trade.

Back
Top Bottom