Our offensive ranks under Fielder | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our offensive ranks under Fielder

dlockz said:
For all of the people that think our offense is clicking so well (I truly think we forgot why we were so bad last year new oline- Ricky williams = bad year)

Our offense is ranked 18t in points and yardage currently.
last year it was 28th and 29th respectively

Previous years with Fielder- Pts Yards
2003 17 24
2002 12 15
2001 8 24
2000 16 27

These numbers were in a real conservative offense that ranked higher pointwise than our new offense. Not saying Fielder is better than Frerotte just saying that our offense with Frerotte at helm is not clicking as much as some would believe.

yeah but ferotte throws a better deep ball and more plays downfield have been done since jay..

dlockz said:
Gus is not a rookie so its not like he will continually get better in this so called new offense which supposedly he knew before he got here. In my second paragraph I was showing the main reason we were awful the year before.

In fact look at Gus's games from the first game this year to his last and there is no marked improvement. I think his best game was against Denver early in the year. The best team we beat this year was Denver. Gus was 24 of 36 in this game that we dominated. since then he has been up and down and mostly mediocre. There is very little logical reason to think frerotte will be any better in this offense next year. Against a poor Tennessee defense he was still only 14 of 30 for 150 yards.

bottom line is that gus is still better than jay. jay cant and never will be able to throw the deep ball not too mention his infamous 10 yrd out pick play that every defense knew..

Jimmy James said:
I'll take Jay's 2001 season even with the higher INT rate that resulted from the lack of a good running game. When you consider that those games Ray Lucas played in 2002 killed the Dolphins, I think it's a no brainer that you pick the season when Jay played every game instead of the one where he only played 11.

Nobody liks to admit it but Fiedler carried the offense in 01. He had at least 5 4th quarter comebacks and would have had 6 if our players could have held onto the ball in New England. I think Lamar Smith fell off the wagon in 01 because he was useless.

Mr. Reality said:
Nobody liks to admit it but Fiedler carried the offense in 01. He had at least 5 4th quarter comebacks and would have had 6 if our players could have held onto the ball in New England. I think Lamar Smith fell off the wagon in 01 because he was useless.

I totally agree with you. He did have a better running game than Marino had in an average year, but it was still pretty damned anemic. Jay made the plays in 2001 that got Miami to the playoffs. If he had Ricky, I seriously think Miami could have made serious noise in the playoffs. The same goes for 2002 if not for that thumb injury and Norv's terrible work as OC. In fact, a friend of mine created a tournament of all historic NFL teams at whatifsports.com and came away with the 2002 Dolphins as the winner. He was shocked and dismayed (Redskins fan).

Die Fiedler Huggers!!!! DIE!!!!

OMG!!!!!

The guy was crap, is crap, and does not play for us!!! Let it go!!!! YOU WERE WRONG!

For krissakes, do you want to go into 2006 rehashing the most painful period in team history, or do you want to go in looking forward to the bright future ahead?

Let it go already, guys!

fin-atic said:
Die Fiedler Huggers!!!! DIE!!!!

OMG!!!!!

The guy was crap, is crap, and does not play for us!!! Let it go!!!! YOU WERE WRONG!

It's nice to see that this sort of behavior is tolerated here.

I'm not sure what made anyone think that there were people confused about what QBs are on the roster at present, but I think we're all clear about it. The whole point here is to consider the *current* QB play by reflecting back on the prior QB play.

I really dont see Frerotte being a better Qb than Fiedler. Yes he does have a better long ball arm, but Frerotte isnt that accurate with it so its not that great. I cant stand Fiedler, I never wanted him here, I say the same about Frerotte. We still have the same problem with Frerotte that we had with Fiedler---our Qb sucks.

Only one of those seasons did those teams have a higher yardage per game. What that tells me is that the team had a very good defense that gave them good field position and that was an opportunistic defense and scored defensive TDs. Ill take this offense over any of the other offenses. Fiedler and the previous offenses never had BIG PLAY momentum turning plays through the passing game. This season Ive seen a dozen plays or so passes 35 yards or more, atleast a dozen.

dolphan117 said:
So in the first year under Gus we are as good as we were with Jay after he had spent a good amount of time in the system and had an established offense. Like I said, not bad for the first year.

You are forgetting that 2002 was the first year for Norv Turner and his system. Jay's first two years were with Chan Gailey and a completely different system. This iis also not a new system for Gus. He played the same system in Minn. That is why he has remained the starter all year.

Jimmy James said:
I don't like blaming receivers for drops most of the time, but that drop was among the worst I have ever seen. You almost have to wonder if he had money on the Vikings. I'm seriously pissed at Carter over that drop to this day.

Norv was a good coordinator...when he had Jimmy Johnson to rein him in and prevent him from abandoning the run in the stupidest of times. He was not a good coordinator here, and he was not a good head coach anywhere. He ran an offense that did not maximize Miami's questionable talent at QB and was very much part of the problem. If Georgia Tech didn't hire Chan away, Miami would have assuredly made the playoffs in 2002 because his system was *far* friendlier to the QBs.

I'm still angry over the Carter drop that hit him between the numbers in the endzone also.

Norv Turner did a very good job for beginning of 2002. When he had a healthy Fiedler, the Fins were able to run his offense well enough. They were averaging 30 pts per game. He did a terrible job adjusting to the catastrophy that was Ray Lucas. Lucas was a good fit for Gailey's offense. The Fins got a little blindsided by the fact that Lucas looked good in preseason in 2002.

Really I dont care what our offense is ranked at if we win 11 or more games a year consistantly. I mean, sure, a potent offense is fun to watch, but look what it got San Deigo this year: A big ole' handful of sit the F* down and shut the F* up...

Mr. Reality said:

Lamar was never a first tier running back to begin with. He was really a second tier that had one nice year.

But don't discount the offensive line in fault, either--Donnalley and Richmond Webb had left the prior offseason and while they were definitely aging by then, it did make an impact on the offensive line slightly.

The problem with Lamar was that he was too slow.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
I'm still angry over the Carter drop that hit him between the numbers in the endzone also.

Norv Turner did a very good job for beginning of 2002. When he had a healthy Fiedler, the Fins were able to run his offense well enough. They were averaging 30 pts per game. He did a terrible job adjusting to the catastrophy that was Ray Lucas. Lucas was a good fit for Gailey's offense. The Fins got a little blindsided by the fact that Lucas looked good in preseason in 2002.

That is correct, Miami put up 180 points in 6 weeks. Some of that was defensive related, but still impressive.

Norv ran a good offense at that point of the year because not only did he utilize everybody in the passing game (fullbacks too), he could pick apart the cover 2.

the offense had to be severely dumbed down for Lucas and I have a feeling once Jay came back Norv didn't return it to what it was prior.

Back
Top Bottom