Our offensive ranks under Fielder | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our offensive ranks under Fielder

FinfanInBuffalo said:
You are forgetting that 2002 was the first year for Norv Turner and his system. Jay's first two years were with Chan Gailey and a completely different system. This iis also not a new system for Gus. He played the same system in Minn. That is why he has remained the starter all year.

Keep in mind though while it was the same system, he has different players and no dome here :).

Eww, Chan Gailey. I hated him as an O Coordinator.

I actually remember reading on some Dolphins board once in 2001 where someone proclaimed Dan Marino "sucked" because all he did was pass and he scored too fast meaning the defense had to be on the field too much, and that the team was "much better" now because their offense was so unpredictable. And this person said this in a season in which the team was shut out twice :).

dlockz said:
For all of the people that think our offense is clicking so well (I truly think we forgot why we were so bad last year new oline- Ricky williams = bad year)

Our offense is ranked 18t in points and yardage currently.
last year it was 28th and 29th respectively

Previous years with Fielder- Pts Yards
2003 17 24
2002 12 15
2001 8 24
2000 16 27

These numbers were in a real conservative offense that ranked higher pointwise than our new offense. Not saying Fielder is better than Frerotte just saying that our offense with Frerotte at helm is not clicking as much as some would believe.[/QUOTE

what i see from these stats is that since 2001, with fiedler, the fins have gotten worse each year. until 2004 when the bottom fell out. i'll take 18th oerall in a year where we get a new qb, a rookie rb, and basically, a new coaching staff. and considering that our Oline ranked among the worst last year. Saban seems to know what hes doing ad im happy for it. evryone knows Gus is only a temporary solution!! something Wanny should have seen in Feidler, as well.

Apparently Jay really wowed the Fins in that 62-9 blowout :rolleyes:

dlockz said:
For all of the people that think our offense is clicking so well (I truly think we forgot why we were so bad last year new oline- Ricky williams = bad year)

2003 17 24
2002 12 15
2001 8 24
2000 16 27

These numbers were in a real conservative offense that ranked higher pointwise than our new offense. Not saying Fielder is better than Frerotte just saying that our offense with Frerotte at helm is not clicking as much as some would believe.

Really I am more excited about the mindset of this team than any stats, stats do not tell the real story here

I still find it amusing and ironic that the most successful season in the post-Marino era was the one in which the offense ranked the worst.

dlockz said:

2003 17 24
2002 12 15
2001 8 24
2000 16 27

These numbers were in a real conservative offense that ranked higher pointwise than our new offense. Not saying Fielder is better than Frerotte just saying that our offense with Frerotte at helm is not clicking as much as some would believe.

I'm no Gus fan, but the first difference you are omitting is that Gus is definitely temporary and never was considered more than that. Fieler was for a few years our guy according to Wanny. So under the new regime, our newly installed offense under our stop gap QB is on par with the old offense using their boy Fiedler.

We had a long way to go from last year compared to what Jay inherited from Dan when he stepped in as starter. Comparitively speaking the '04 unit was the worst offense the Dolphins had in its history and yeah I am going back to the expansion years late 60's.

As duly noted there is a new offensive system and a turnover at key positions on the line. There still needs to be improvements on the line. Add the drop passes and the picture becomes more clearer.

Folks, we are still anywhere from a slightly above average to mediocre offense depending on which week and vs. which opponent (except for complete awfulness and futility in the Cleveland game). And, Gus is still not the answer but the keeper of the system until a long term option is found. But the offense will improve and don't be surprised if those stats next year are more in the 10-15 ranking for total offense instead of 18 this year.

Tigers2003 said:
We had a long way to go from last year compared to what Jay inherited from Dan when he stepped in as starter. Comparitively speaking the '04 unit was the worst offense the Dolphins had in its history and yeah I am going back to the expansion years late 60's.

Chambers, Booker, McMichael, Brown, & Williams is worse than what Jay inherited? Sorry, but the skill position talent on this team is way better than the 2000 team. The performance of the 2004 offense was an aberation due to the turmoil on the team and an ineffective OL coach and OC.

Tigers2003 said:
As duly noted there is a new offensive system and a turnover at key positions on the line. There still needs to be improvements on the line. Add the drop passes and the picture becomes more clearer.

There were definite upgrades at OC and OL coach but the nearly the same OL.

Every team has dropped passes every year. Was James McKnight called James McDrop?

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Chambers, Booker, McMichael, Brown, & Williams is worse than what Jay inherited? Sorry, but the skill position talent on this team is way better than the 2000 team. The performance of the 2004 offense was an aberation due to the turmoil on the team and an ineffective OL coach and OC.

There were definite upgrades at OC and OL coach but the nearly the same OL.

Every team has dropped passes every year. Was James McKnight called James McDrop?

No, worse. He was James McFumble. God I'm glad he's gone now.

dlockz said:
Gus is not a rookie so its not like he will continually get better in this so called new offense which supposedly he knew before he got here. In my second paragraph I was showing the main reason we were awful the year before.

In fact look at Gus's games from the first game this year to his last and there is no marked improvement. I think his best game was against Denver early in the year. The best team we beat this year was Denver. Gus was 24 of 36 in this game that we dominated. since then he has been up and down and mostly mediocre. There is very little logical reason to think frerotte will be any better in this offense next year. Against a poor Tennessee defense he was still only 14 of 30 for 150 yards.

Might want to watch some games champ. Gus has been good the last few weeks, and if you think Gus is on his way out of Miami, you could be sorely mistaking. If we draft a QB we will need a veteran to run the offense, and with the rythem Gus is in, I wouldn't be suprised to see him back.

RobFins2005 said:
Bah...until his injury, Fiedler was having a good season being an Aikman like QB who made few mistakes and made the completions he needed to.

LOL

The closest that Fiedler came to Aikman was perhaps, sniffing his jock strap. That POS was an albatross.

RobFins2005 said:
Eww, Chan Gailey. I hated him as an O Coordinator.

You may have hated him because you wanted a prettier looking offense, but you cannot argue with the results he got out of the likes of Fiedler, Lamar Smith, and Gadsden. People are falsely wowed by Norv because he behaved himself early in 2002, but he showed his true colors by the end of that season and in 2003. There is a good reason why Chan's offense went to the playoffs twice and Norv's stayed home twice.

dlockz said:

Wow, maybe the most useles stat I've seen this week. Here's an idea, compare our offense the 2nd half of the season. I"m not a huge Gus fan, but he's played better than Jay ever did (except the one great game Jay had every year). Jay sucked, get over it. Our problem today: we are a terrible red zone offense. been like that ll year. Part of that is Gus, part of it is linehan, part offensive line.

Back
Top Bottom