Our QB situation looks like a huge risk | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our QB situation looks like a huge risk

DOLFANMIKE

Coaches Corner
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I'll start by saying I understand alot of you disagree with me. But here it goes anyhow -

OK....the QB situation is officially bugging me. Don't get me wrong. I see potential in Feeley. I think there is a chance that he could be an upgrade over Jay, but if someone were to ask me this Football season if Feeley was better than Jay I'd have argued strongly that he was not. So are we really safe with only Sage, Jay, and new challenger AJ? Frankly I am concerned that AJ wont even be able to beat out Jay. To me, I see a Ricks guy (AJ) battle vs Wanny's guy (JAY) and Wanny gets to decide who plays. He is the coach afterall and deciding the starter will be his call unless i'm missing something about responsibilities.

I see a draft in front of us where there is a pretty good chance that a potential Franchise QB drops to us. Back when we originally made the move on Feeley the word was that Rivers was going at #11 overall to Pitt and Feeley sure seemed to be the next best option at hand that we could secure, but things have changed Dolfans.
1 - Oaklands Boss Al Davis loves USC's WR Williams. He supposedly has said if he keeps his pick he will draft him. If he does, that pushes a QB back to pick 20 that wouldnt have been there.
2- Oakland signs O-Gun.....If this unlikely scenerio took effect we'd have an opportunity at Eli or Ben....how could we pass it up? Grab the Franchise QB and pick your WR at 20.
3- Pitt mildly surprises everyone and goes RB at pick 11. Again a QB (Likely Rivers) gets pushed back to us. There is even a remote (very remote) change Big Ben could be this years scratch your head first round slider if Oakland goes USC's WR Williams and Pitt then goes nuts and takes an RB. Yes...I know..not probable. But possible.
4 - I'm sure there are many other scenerios that could push us one of the top QB's in the Draft. There alweays seem to be early blown picks and reaches that cause players to slide.

Listen, I understand the argument that we need OL, and that we need WR.....We do need those positions upgraded....but Dolfans those are positions we can address after our first pick in the draft, and in Free Agency. When was the last time a draft had this kind of QB talent? If the FA pool had the strength it does at QB and less WR or OL I'd feel the same about going those directions.

It could take a long while to have this opportunity again. Also, even if we take a WR at 20, say Woods or Evans, and Feeley is our QB and only a marginal upgrade.....are we where we want to be?

We need an impact QB...Free agency offers none. Free agency does offer quality OL and WR. So do the later rounds in the draft.

If we keep O-Gun and go WR or OL I can understand our gamble on Feeley a little better, but if we end up with two 1st rounders and come out without a QB I will really be disappointed. I'm hoping for the best out of Feeley, but he was a non starter and is now being put into a high pressure situation and competing against the Coaches boy for the starting job. I wont be surprised if Jay is back as our starter if we stay on course. I don't think AJ can beat him out this year.

I know the thing I hear stated over and over is "look at what we paid to get Feeley"(a 2nd rounder next year)...but I have a different take on that cost. After what we have gone through the past 2 seasons at backup QB I'd be more than happy to see us spend a 2nd rounder next year (3rd round value on this draft) on a backup QB that can do a quality job. Thats 3-5 games per season the back up guy is on the field. Who knows, maybe he will even take over and blow us all away. That would be fantastic...... but is it likely?

I think the QB position is bar none the most important one on the field. Thats just my opinion. This draft is loaded at QB. There may be a franchise type player at 20. I dont want to pass on him if it turns out to be the case.

Are we certain... or just hopful that Feeley can be the guy? Can he beat out Fiedler in a convincing way? I'm worried that he wont be able to do it and next season we are sitting in the same position and Rivers is on his way to becoming a Pro Bowler elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
we're hopeful that feeley can do the job and a year this may be strikingly similar to is the 1983 QB draft....especially if Henson gets tossed in the mix.....only thing to make it better would be if McPherson also dropped the AFL and went in the draft this year.

That's why I say if rivers/eli/ben (in order of my preference) are available we take him....:)

Well, in building a team, I think your start with the QB. The single most important position on a team.

Feeley is a big question mark, and the fact Fiedler might be kept to compete and at 3.7 million tells me that the FO has serious doubts about Feeley too. I'm all for giving him a chance, but...

The FO should still be looking at trading for Ramsey. I keep mentioning this in most of my posts, but I think it would be a great move. Trade Fiedler and a #3 or 4 pick for Ramsey.

If not that, then at least grab Rivers at #20 if he is still there. Use the other #1 pick we get for O-gun on a WR. If we somehow got the Raiders pick, then go for Eli or Ben, or trade down to about #10-12 and get a #2 pick also. Then take Rivers and a WR and OL. Passing on Eli would be tough though.

Anyway, we need another QB in here to at least learn and be ready to compete in 2005. Ramsey is attractive because he could start this year, and would allow us to use whatever high picks we have on WR and OL.

I agree that we must start with the QB postion, before we worry about WR , OL or whatever. As good as Ricky is, he could be putting up much better numbers with a better QB in front of him. One the D has to respect.

For those who are happy with Fiedler, or think he is "good enough" I ask you: "How would you defend against the Dolphin offense?"

It is obvious what the rest of the league has decided to do, stack the line and force Fiedler and the passing attack to beat you. That WILL NOT change in 2004. It won't change because Feeley is back there either, or Ramsey, or whoever. Not until we have a QB who can be consistent, accurate, and make teams pay for stacking the line.

Can Fielder be that QB? The past four years say no.

Can Feeley? Maybe. At least there is that hope. The same goes for Ramsey or Rivers, they would give us the hope of finally having a QB to balance the offensive attack.

We know what we have with Fiedler already. He is simply not good enough.

I dont agree. feeley and fiedler will be fine. Fiedler still may end up traded but i doubt it. there is an outside chance that we end up with Rivers or someone but we may be stuck with drafting OL becuase the market is tight on supply. Bills are going after Woody so we should see alot of competition in FA. that may set us back more than anything.

So just forget your QB dreams and realize that Spielman in no way has second guessed himself. he is only covering his bases. And this fiedler thing may not be over cus i think spielman will come up with incentives instead of his base deal which may end up turning him off.

At first I was worry about A.J but now I feel more comfortable going with A.J and Fiedler....

I'm more worry about Oline than anything.

Originally posted by minus
At first I was worry about A.J but now I feel more comfortable going with A.J and Fiedler....

I'm more worry about Oline than anything.

At first I was looking for a well known good qb to come in and run Fiedler out. Know if Fiedler restructures his contract and Fiedler happens to beat Feeley for the starting job we are at the place we were last year just a younger backup. I believe Feeley will beat Fiedler for the Starting spot but there is just that negative Feeling in the back of my mind. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Your right minus I am more worried about O-line and another WR than I am the Qb situation now.

Well, I think that Ricky Williams is the most important player on the team (by design) and the greatest at risk position is the same as it was last year....The Offensive Line.

The Offensive line is the foundation of the offense...not the Quarterback. If the line is not solidified, it doesn't matter what QB we put back there. If we don't have playmakers who can run good routes and get open, it doesn't matter what QB we put back there. We need a QB that can win games. One that that plays well in the 4th quarter.

The risk of failure is much greater if we over-emphasize the QB position and neglect that which is more important.

Originally posted by PhinstiGator
Well, I think that Ricky Williams is the most important player on the team (by design) and the greatest at risk position is the same as it was last year....The Offensive Line.

The Offensive line is the foundation of the offense...not the Quarterback. If the line is not solidified, it doesn't matter what QB we put back there. If we don't have playmakers who can run good routes and get open, it doesn't matter what QB we put back there. We need a QB that can win games. One that that plays well in the 4th quarter.

The risk of failure is much greater if we over-emphasize the QB position and neglect that which is more important.

Bingo....

It all starts with OL..

It starts with the OL, so we're not going to stick a rookie in there unless it is a top ten pick. That's why we're going to address the OL in FA. The OL market in FA is actually strong. Rivers is considered a top 10 pick by many people. When a top 10 talent at the most important position in football is available, you take him. The wr class is deep enough that we could get a good wr in the third. Also we have more young bodies who could potentially fill the wr need than the QB need.

Originally posted by rafael
It starts with the OL, so we're not going to stick a rookie in there unless it is a top ten pick. That's why we're going to address the OL in FA. The OL market in FA is actually strong. Rivers is considered a top 10 pick by many people. When a top 10 talent at the most important position in football is available, you take him. The wr class is deep enough that we could get a good wr in the third. Also we have more young bodies who could potentially fill the wr need than the QB need.

We certainly have to get at least two Free Agent Offensive lineman. But that's not enough. We are losing Dixon, Ruddy, Perry, Nails ???, and we are trying to re-sign Wade. It would be very wise to take an Offensive Lineman on Day 1 of the draft. The sooner...the better.

Rivers has indeed shot up the PUBLIC draft charts. He wasn't even projected in the first round before the senior bowl. His Senior bowl play was excellent. But, let's see that for what it really was. One quarter of NO BLITZING & NO PRESS COVERAGE. He did well. But, the real scouts are going to take a closer look at his game against Maryland when he played against a more aggressive defense. I don't see Rivers as TOP TEN. Yet, with the addition of Fitzgerald & Williams to the draft...a top 15 WR could drop to our #20 spot. Take him. Our problem when playing teams like the Patriots is that they are able to cancel out our best receiver either by double coverage or their probowl corner. We need another playmaker to break there backs. We need to be able to run the ball.

I have no problem with taking a QB in the 4th or later. Nothing wrong about getting a player to develop as it typically takes 3 or 4 years in the NFL.

I do have a problem with the thinking that Rivers, or Manning, or Big Ben could step into the NFL right now and light it up. They can't. They won't. They are just rookie QB's and they will make the rookie mistakes. Last years Number one QB in the draft didn't even play one down on a rebuilding team.

If our goal is to win now, then the 1st round of the draft must reflect that philosophy. It's not popular. But it is the right thing.

Well, I'd point you to Vick as a QB who could still get things done behind a poor line. :D That is the exception though.

Now, who could be drafted at #20 that would step in and play well on the OL? As a rookie? I thought freeing up all the cap money was to address the OL anyway? So why are we are they ready to give Feidler 3.7 million when that could be used for a RT or G? Why not get a cheaper vet QB?

We have a new OC anyway, so saying Jay knows the system doesn't count near as much. Everyone will be learning a new offense, or a heavily modifed one. Unless we have Norv Jr.

Ricky will be facing 8 or 9 man fronts yet again this year. Even a great OL can't block superior numbers on every play. Only a QB who shows he can burn the D with the deep pass will keep the safeties back.

C'mon guys, no team goes into a game thinking they have to find a way to stop Fielder. They stack the line and wait for Ricky. Without a better QB, that will continue this year, next year, etc.

How many good years does Ricky have left anyway? With the pounding he has taken? His career will be a lot shorter without better QB support. We finally get a franchise HB, and we are wasting his best years for lack of a good QB! :cry:

Yes, address the OL in free agency, but get another upgrade at QB this year! I'll hope for the best with Feeley, but why not grab another QB with potential? It requires looking to the future and not just this year, but it needs to be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our QB situation is not a risk at all. im sorry, If you cant see that Feeley will be better than Griese or anyone else on the market other than draft picks, then your not being reasonable. You simply cannot judge something like this when people like Delhomme, Warner, Brady and many others came through from nowhere.

Originally posted by phinfan34
Because we always make risks, that never pay off.

Was ogunleye a risk?
Was Seau a risk?
Was starting Wade Smith a risk?

Life is a risk. those who take risks are ussually the ones who are rich.

Back
Top Bottom