Our QB situation looks like a huge risk | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our QB situation looks like a huge risk

mess

This team has really put itself in a bad position.
First keeping Jay is absolutley stupid. It does create the Dave vs Rick situation & puts the team in the middle. In recent memory I have not heard an agent be as vocal & stupid as Jay's. So. If Jay loses the job he will be yapping & Jay will cry. If he wins the job (which he has an advantage due to knowing the system & the comfort factor) we are back to square one. If he looks better than AJ & does not get the starting job he will pi$$ & moan endlessly about not getting his fair shot. Any way you look at it is bad. As far as him being the best backup in the league. Jay is not capable of being the best anything as far as QBing. Because of one game against a non playoff team when he had a unique situation where his adrenaline would be at its max & he plays good for a quarter. That is proof huh? What about when he is a disgruntled or even happy FULL-TIME back up? Will he be the same?
Also 2.9M for a below ave QB to sit on the bench? C'mon. There is no logic to this.
As far as his fair shot. He was brought here with the same background as AJ an appointed the starter over DAN MARINO by Dave the dope. He wasn't concerned about any fair shot.
The fact is he has never earned a starting position in the NFL ever.
Hopefully since Dave won't be running the draft we will still go for a QB prospect because you can't take any chances.

Bottom line is BG or someone like Huard should be the back-up for a BU salary & AJ should be given the job & a QB should be drafted. That would be best for the team.
Very logical & very simple.

first off, we havent even gone into free agency yet. the draft is two months away, and many Qb's will be cut if not already. Nothing has been done contract wise for either QB and we dont haver a clue what is going on in spielmans head. which is a good thing cus i dont want any of you knowing whats going on cus you would give it away to our enemies.

second, Fiedler never complained in public about griese starting. he did have a nasty smirk on his face on teh sideline but you never heard a peep out of fiedler.

third, fiedler has accpted the competition of feeley and restructured his contract (today?). so what the hell are you talking about?

Originally posted by finfan54
feeley and fiedler will be fine.........
So just forget your QB dreams and realize that Spielman in no way has second guessed himself. he is only covering his bases. And this fiedler thing may not be over cus i think spielman will come up with incentives instead of his base deal which may end up turning him off.

An article just came out today stating how the Fiedler resigning has been handled with a strong arguement to the contrary regarding your take on Rick second guessing himself and the qB situation. It's posted here on the board by someone if you are interested. Basically it takes us through telling Jay adios, to his resigning. Also, the situation that was present at the time we traded for Feeley is not the case now. Another top 5 player has entered the draft, pushing the QB pile back (possible anyhow).

How can we be so sure that Feeley is going to be better than Jay? Was he better than Jay 3 months ago?

Jay and AJ have never played at the level of Phillip Rivers or those that could go earlier.....IMO

Whoa

Originally posted by finfan54
Our QB situation is not a risk at all. im sorry, If you cant see that Feeley will be better than Griese or anyone else on the market other than draft picks, then your not being reasonable.

No intention to offend you, but could you break this down for me? I would be thrilled if AJ proves to be a quality starting QB. However, I have a hard time resolving how it is that I or the other AJ -Jay "doubters" are being unreasonable by stating we have doubt about AJ and Jay being able to get it done for us.

Jay has been here and never had a healthy season. He has also not met most of our expectations as Dolfans. Heck, we've missed the playoffs each of the past 2 seasons.

AJ? How much did AJ play last season? Would you say AJ was a better QB this past season than Jay Fiedler? If so, based on what? If not, then how is he better 3 months later? AJ Feeley has some nice qualities. aJ Feeley has potential from what I have seen, read, etc.....but I see him as far from a "Lock" to solve our problems. Can AJ even beat out Jay? I don't think even that is a lock. I give the advantage to Jay hands down.

Lastly.....if a franchise QB drops to pick 20 and we pass for a player like WR Evans, or Woods, we will be in the same boat this time next year...IMO
If we lose O-Gun and still dont grab a QB its an even bigger disappointment.

Re: mess

finfan54 answered some of it, I'll answer the rest the best (and shortest) i can.

Originally posted by vcip

Also 2.9M for a below ave QB to sit on the bench? C'mon. There is no logic to this.

Well, for $5-6 mill we get 2 QBs......Feeley and AJ when before we wouuld have just had Fiedler for that amount. That's logical to me, we now have another shot at another QB replacing Fiedler for the same amount.

The fact is he has never earned a starting position in the NFL ever.

I guess beating out Huard, then Lucas, then Griese isn't earning his spot? Now he'll be going up against Feeley.....he's had to compete for his job every year he's been here. Nothing has been gift-wrapped for him as if he is McNabb, Manning or Farve. Quite the contrary, he's been in the middle of a QB controversy almost since day 1. He may not be the best but he's proven to be better then anyone else Miami has brought in.

Bottom line is BG or someone like Huard should be the back-up for a BU salary & AJ should be given the job & a QB should be drafted. That would be best for the team.
Very logical & very simple.

Fiedler runs this offense a lot better then BG can or did/could. He's the best option to have as a backup to Feeley or to compete for the starting job.

I think signing QB M. Brunell to the same size contract the Skinz gave him, would have been even more risky....

We've now got two solid QB's for the price of one....

One hard hit to the head, and QB M. Brunell is done, for good. That's not the kind of million dollar risk I like taking. At the very least, we've still got Jay. It's a no lose situation IMO....

PHINZ RULE!!!:pirate:

Originally posted by PhinstiGator

We certainly have to get at least two Free Agent Offensive lineman. But that's not enough. We are losing Dixon, Ruddy, Perry, Nails ???, and we are trying to re-sign Wade. It would be very wise to take an Offensive Lineman on Day 1 of the draft. The sooner...the better.

Rivers has indeed shot up the PUBLIC draft charts. He wasn't even projected in the first round before the senior bowl. His Senior bowl play was excellent. But, let's see that for what it really was. One quarter of NO BLITZING & NO PRESS COVERAGE. He did well. But, the real scouts are going to take a closer look at his game against Maryland when he played against a more aggressive defense. I don't see Rivers as TOP TEN. Yet, with the addition of Fitzgerald & Williams to the draft...a top 15 WR could drop to our #20 spot. Take him. Our problem when playing teams like the Patriots is that they are able to cancel out our best receiver either by double coverage or their probowl corner. We need another playmaker to break there backs. We need to be able to run the ball.

Rivers rise up the charts is based on reports that teams have him rated higher. You may not have him in the top ten, but it seems many teams do.

I have no problem with taking a QB in the 4th or later. Nothing wrong about getting a player to develop as it typically takes 3 or 4 years in the NFL.

I do have a problem with the thinking that Rivers, or Manning, or Big Ben could step into the NFL right now and light it up. They can't. They won't. They are just rookie QB's and they will make the rookie mistakes. Last years Number one QB in the draft didn't even play one down on a rebuilding team.

I never said that any of these QBs will come in and light it up. IMO it will take them two years. I hope Feeley is the guy, but if he isn't I want a backup plan. Give Feeley two seasons, if he doesn't workout then you have the next option on the roster and ready to plug in. If we don't, then what, two years from no if Feeley didn't workout we take another backup QB and hope he's the answer or we draft a QB and wait two years to see if he will pan out (if we even have a chance draft one).

If our goal is to win now, then the 1st round of the draft must reflect that philosophy. It's not popular. But it is the right thing.

I have a problem with the idea that a drafted OL guy will help this year. Drafting OL is drafting for the future. If you're drafting for the future anyways, then you should draft the more important QB position than the less important interior OL position.

Has anyone kept an ear out to the situation in St Louis? Warner will more than likely be released at some time before the draft......Maybe we've been looking for the wrong thing in a QB, how about we try looking for the numbers.......like the number 13......lol...jk..but think about it when released he'll be practically paid for by the rams, they'll be paying him for the season no matter what happens, all Kurt wants is to play THATS IT!!!! He'll be a bargain and the change of scenery will boost him up like his first season with the rams (which by the way ended in a superbowl victory) I know that we all want Rivers on the back of our jerseys but if theres a way to get Kurt then maybe we can use our picks to address the other positions (WR OL etc) and if O-Gun deal goes thru we'll be sitting pretty come draft day.

Re: Whoa

Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE
...if a franchise QB drops to pick 20 and we pass for a player like WR Evans, or Woods, we will be in the same boat this time next year...IMO
If we lose O-Gun and still dont grab a QB its an even bigger disappointment.

The same can be said if we don't upgrade the WR & Offensive line positions.

This is one of the best WR drafts in a long time. We have a shot at a franchise WR that can make our team better THIS year.

If we don't get Todd Wade signed, the need to get a Vernon Carey type who can play both right side positions may become a higher priority for making this team better now.

New England selects right behind us in the 1st round. I'm sure they would love to get the highest rated WR on the board. It would be in our interest for that player to be in our lineup.

The next team on the board that would be interested in a Rivers or Losman would be the Packers. They haven't selected a first round QB in the last 22 years. In fact, they have consistently drafted one in the 5th - 7th rounds. Some of those players have turned out pretty good. Even Franchise good.

Spielman is confronted with the blueprint of making this team better now. This team is not designed around the QB...no matter how important that position will always be. High powered offenses can have less than great QB's. I still see the QB priority in the draft as no higher than 3rd. Sure it would be a great PR move to get a QB that has franchise expectations. But a rookie QB is a rookie QB...unless his last name is Marino. And after all this QB talk...even the greatest of the great could not get us a championship without a running game and a great defense.

Originally posted by rafael
...Rivers rise up the charts is based on reports that teams have him rated higher. You may not have him in the top ten, but it seems many teams do...

There is NO General Manager in his right mind that will reveal his draft board to the public. In fact, the reverse is true. Look for the smokescreen.

Sure Rivers could be top ten. He could also be 3rd round. We don't really know if a team has it's heart set on taking a QB in the first round.

I highly doubt that the one quarter he played in the Senior bowl will have the affect on real team scouts as it had on Mel Kiper and fans. It appears that Spielman currently has A.J. Feeley rated higher than Rivers.

At the end of the season we have a time of accountability. We can directly compare what Rivers did in contrast to what Feeley did. At this juncture, I feel pretty good about Spielman's choice. Last years QB draft class made no dent at proven Franchise material. The 2002 QB draft class is still on the learning curve...yet to be proven.

Re: Re: Whoa

The same can be said if we don't upgrade the WR & Offensive line positions.

This is one of the best WR drafts in a long time. We have a shot at a franchise WR that can make our team better THIS year.

Only if we have someone that can get him the ball. I also am less convinced about the WR's that seem to be around 20 right now.

I do agree with everything you have said, but I just think the ability to land a potential franchise QB supersedes all the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't matter if we don't address the OL on the first day FA b/c it's not a great OL class and nobody we take will help us this year.

I highly doubt that the one quarter he played in the Senior bowl will have the affect on real team scouts as it had on Mel Kiper and fans. It appears that Spielman currently has A.J. Feeley rated higher than Rivers.

I think you are right on in terms of why Rivers is being looked at as a quality QB. In his College years his play was simply impressive. The Senior Bowl just offered an opportunity to see how he could do in a game against some of his other draft peers.

I don't know that we can assume that Rick S has Feeley rated higher than Rivers. The reason I say that is because when the Dolphins made the move on Feeley it appeared that Rivers was going to go at 11 to Pittsburgh. When Rivers looked to be going at 20, most the news was pointing at us drafting Rivers. Feeley wasn't even mentioned at that time.
We may have grabbed Feeley as it was the next best move we could make if Ramsey, Brunell, Henson, and Rivers were out of reach. I think thats the case. Now Rivers may be within reach again with USC's Williams entering the draft....either way it'll be a fun draft to watch, and i'll suport whomever is on the field.

Back
Top Bottom