Our running game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our running game

Mike McDaniel

Active Roster
Reaction score
Let's table the Tua discussions for just a second and talk about our running game against New England.

In a word: ugly. Chase Edmonds ran 12 times for 25 yards. Mostert had 5 attempts for 16 yards. 2.4 ypc between them both.

No matter what you think about Tua, this offense cannot succeed long term without a competent running game. Period. Unless Coach McDaniel is going to drastically change the philosophy he's worked under for his entire professional career, that's just the way it is.

Obviously it's just one game, but there were a lot of issues in that one game. To be fair, there were also some good runs that looked promising. But in the AFC, with the high-powered offenses we're playing this year, we need a running game to keep the other guys off the field.

What are y'alls thoughts on week 1's running game

It was a disappointment, but I'm not hitting the panic button yet. I always figured it would take a few weeks for the offense to really hit its stride. I think the running game will take longer to develop than the passing game due to our talent level in key spots along the line plus the new blocking scheme these guys are trying to learn and implement. The running attack is literally MM's specialty. I have a ton of respect for him, Frank Smith and Matt Applebaum and think they're going to get things ironed out. I'm excited at what Edmonds brings to the table, particularly catching passes out of the backfield, and Mostert can definitely be a weapon for us if he stays healthy.

Let's table the Tua discussions for just a second and talk about our running game against New England.

In a word: ugly. Chase Edmonds ran 12 times for 25 yards. Mostert had 5 attempts for 16 yards. 2.4 ypc between them both.

No matter what you think about Tua, this offense cannot succeed long term without a competent running game. Period. Unless Coach McDaniel is going to drastically change the philosophy he's worked under for his entire professional career, that's just the way it is.

Obviously it's just one game, but there were a lot of issues in that one game. To be fair, there were also some good runs that looked promising. But in the AFC, with the high-powered offenses we're playing this year, we need a running game to keep the other guys off the field.

We brought in two RBs who rely on speed and space, and sadly... backs like this get stuffed a lot. Back in Barry Sanders day, the knock on him was that he'd get you 20 yards, then 2, 2, and -1.
Backs like this make sense for the offense that we run, but on days when they don't spring a big run, their per carry average will be low.
Add to this, the fact that Jax went out in the second quarter when he got rolled from behind, and I'm happy we survived week one.

We do, however, still need a bigger back for the committee.

Our running game was well below par. Have to keep in mind the opposition. Belicheat has historically been one of the best coaches at countering the wide zone scheme. This is despite their ordinary run defense ranking in 2021. Hopefully we see some improvement as our o-line get more familiar with the scheme.

It needs to get better, for sure.

I believe it will. Not that it's an excuse because the numbers were terrible, but the Putz have always been good against the run. I like to think that every game will be used for teaching points by our coaches (both run and pass blocking), and the situation should steadily improve. No doubt we have a ways to go, and to be a legit playoff team we have to tighten up considerably.

I believe there are plays that the coaches did not want to show until week 3 or 4.

I don't think we saw much of the playbook yesterday.
LOL There is no trick plays regarding the running game. You line up and run the ball by overpowering opposing defenses.

Now the passing game is a different story.

LOL There is no trick plays regarding the running game. You line up and run the ball by overpowering opposing defenses.

Doesn't apply to McD's run theories. Requires a lot from the OL, and he said in his presser, there was always 1 or 2 guys a little off on the requirement.

It‘s all about the offensive line. The running backs the Dolphins have on the roster are proven running backs that have had success running the ball in the NFL.

They certainly haven’t forgotten how to run the ball but no running back is going to be able to run when he is hit as soon as he gets the ball. The offensive line failed time after time to open any hole that the running backs could run through.

This lack of ability in opening holes has been an issue for the OL for several years. The Patriots appeared to be stacking the defense to stop the run and apply pressure in the passing game. The offensive line failed to resolve the issues on the line yesterday.

Whether it is the coaching, the players aren’t good enough or they just came up against a defensive front that was just better than the offensive line, I don’t know the answer. What I do know is that the offensive line needs to play a lot better than it did yesterday or else they will continue to struggle in the running game and Tua will spend another season with little or no time when he goes back to pass.

Said it when we cut Sony Michel but we’re gonna blow 2nd half leads when we’re trying to stay ahead of the sticks and convert situationally when ur grind it out RBs weigh 200lbs.

When the chargers were milking clock and had a must convert short yardage play at the end of the game guess who they handed it off to. Sony

We handed a must have 3rd and 2 to chase edmunds and he goes down at first contact and we punt

It don’t gotta be Sony but it’s gotta be someone. 4 backs on the roster that all weigh like 205lbs or less. It’s gonna be a problem

Doesn't apply to McD's run theories. Requires a lot from the OL, and he said in his presser, there was always 1 or 2 guys a little off on the requirement.
I can tell u who one of em was. Eich. He was a main stay in the negative reps department on Sunday

Can’t run gap at him can’t toss to his side. Bad all around

Said it when we cut Sony Michel but we’re gonna blow 2nd half leads when we’re trying to stay ahead of the sticks and convert situationally when ur grind it out RBs weigh 200lbs.

When the chargers were milking clock and had a must convert short yardage play at the end of the game guess who they handed it off to. Sony

We handed a must have 3rd and 2 to chase edmunds and he goes down at first contact and we punt

It don’t gotta be Sony but it’s gotta be someone. 4 backs on the roster that all weigh like 205lbs or less. It’s gonna be a problem
Did that happen yesterday, and I missed it?

I can understand saying "I told you so" (not a fan but, knowing human nature, I understand it), but most ppl wait until what they were whining about actually happens before doing tooting their own horn........

Lol...OK, if you say so.

Back
Top Bottom