Our running game | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our running game

You must have me confused with someone who cares about convincing you.

It was game 1 after very few live reps in the preseason against a tough defense coached by arguably the best coach of all-time who had the entire offseason to scheme. If you can't enjoy that and feel the need to look for disappointment or nitpick, that says more about you than anything else.
Why the angst bro?

The full back position was originally designed as a lead blocker in a wishbone type offense. Im not sure why youre so upset, but youre wrong.

I (and a few thousand of us) have been worried about the OL. I have felt we needed at least one more FA pick up.
Hopefully the coaches’ confidence in the guys we have turns out to be well placed.
The above statement is spot on. The debate about our dreadful Oline play as been on going for how many years now. I was at the game and from a fans perspective in the stands what we saw didn't offer a lot of encouragement. I know it wasn't all bad, but If all of our off season only moves elevates our Oline from hot garbage to bad we haven't accomplished very much. I have a lot of faith in coach McD and his staff and really hope over the next few weeks with actual game experience to build on the run game will start showing measurable improvement. Fingers crossed!

We brought in two RBs who rely on speed and space, and sadly... backs like this get stuffed a lot. Back in Barry Sanders day, the knock on him was that he'd get you 20 yards, then 2, 2, and -1.
Backs like this make sense for the offense that we run, but on days when they don't spring a big run, their per carry average will be low.
Add to this, the fact that Jax went out in the second quarter when he got rolled from behind, and I'm happy we survived week one.

We do, however, still need a bigger back for the committee.
I agree completely that we brought in explosive, play making backs that are not power backs. I am doing cartwheels and cheering as loud as I can. That is exactly the type of back we need for this blocking scheme. It is going to be good once the line matures within the scheme.

I believe the C is crucial to a good running game. We watched the game last night and noticed that Connor Williams would get knocked backyard on almost every running play and then make some progress against the nose tackle bought it made the whole run look out of sync… Sure wish we had invested in a rookie centre instead of turning a G into one. We’ll see though because he did show good strength after making contact but not on the initial push

We set ourselves up for it. Pats luckily didn’t have offensive juice

We tried to find a run game and couldn’t. Attempted and failed and luckily we held on.

I’d rather address it now than wait for it to bite us in the ass then address it after 👍 2 yards a pop ain’t gonna get it

U call it whining and tooting horns I come here to talk ball not argue w/ folks 👍
The Patriots shifted frequently to mess up the angles and introduce confusion. A very good game plan by the Patriots. The OL handled it reasonably well for the 1st game. They need to get better at understanding the scheme and handling the shifts, but I have some hope that the running game will improve.

I understand but I do not want to be 2-6 when it is decided we have been bitten.
Maybe there is no one out there. Maybe we have no one to trade. Maybe the coaches are happier with the current guys than many of us.
I do not know but I sure would like teams having to prepare to stop our run.
There is too much talent on this team to be in that position, but we shall see.

I believe the C is crucial to a good running game. We watched the game last night and noticed that Connor Williams would get knocked backyard on almost every running play and then make some progress against the nose tackle bought it made the whole run look out of sync… Sure wish we had invested in a rookie centre instead of turning a G into one. We’ll see though because he did show good strength after making contact but not on the initial push
Umm, yeah. It is a zone run scheme. Angles not driving off the ball. I thought he played well. I did not see what you saw.

The Patriots shifted frequently to mess up the angles and introduce confusion. A very good game plan by the Patriots. The OL handled it reasonably well for the 1st game. They need to get better at understanding the scheme and handling the shifts, but I have some hope that the running game will improve.
I think the run game will improve as well. But situationally when teams know the run is coming just need a back that can take a beating and convert short yardage must haves. 4 backs all like 205lbs or less

The above statement is spot on. The debate about our dreadful Oline play as been on going for how many years now. I was at the game and from a fans perspective in the stands what we saw didn't offer a lot of encouragement. I know it wasn't all bad, but If all of our off season only moves elevates our Oline from hot garbage to bad we haven't accomplished very much. I have a lot of faith in coach McD and his staff and really hope over the next few weeks with actual game experience to build on the run game will start showing measurable improvement. Fingers crossed!
It was not dreadful during the game. Some warts like Hunts complete inability to handle a loop stunt keep cropping up, but the run blocking looks ok.

I disagree. I loved how he played last year, but we improved our backs significantly.
I dont have a problem with the guys we have, they are certainly more talented than the guys we had last year. All Im saying is we need a power back as a change of pace to get the tough yards. We dont have that and until I see more of Ingold, im not sold that he is the guy for that.

I get that the FB position has evolved over the years, almost to the point of extinction. Hell I d love a guy like Keith Byars again. I just think we need more reliable wheels when it comes to running between the tackles.

Back
Top Bottom