Our running game | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our running game

Backs look much improved from last year. Oline improved but a long ways to go. Geno Smith killing it like he did us that one time :lol:

Its week 1, the first time this O line has played together - I dont think they all lined up during pre season together at all....so its a work in progress. Was it good, no, not really. Was it 'the sky is falling bad....no, not close.

I did like that Williams was fairly solid, as was Armstead. Hunt missed a few blocks, losing Jackson actually hurt because the first 1/4 display wasnt horrible. I am not worried yet.

Now the running game, well, again, needs to gain momentum, but damn those two can catch a ball out of the backfield.

This was always going to be the progression of the challenges defenses throw at us.

First test will be 8 in the box and blitzes. Shut down the run, pressure Tua, and make the OL prove it can block and Tua prove he can make quick, correct decisions.

If we prove we can beat 8 in the box, the next test will be a lot of underneath zone coverage, forcing our OL to open holes and Tua to read defenses and make passes on time and into tight windows.

If our running game and Tua prove they can punish that, then we finally get 2 high looks and man coverage. That’s when we’ll see the full playbook and when we can finally dictate what we want to do.

For next week, I’d anticipate we’ll see a lot of 8 man boxes and blitzes from the Ravens.

The Patriots shifted frequently to mess up the angles and introduce confusion. A very good game plan by the Patriots. The OL handled it reasonably well for the 1st game. They need to get better at understanding the scheme and handling the shifts, but I have some hope that the running game will improve.
Stunts and delayed cross rushes kicked their ass, ya.

Backs look much improved from last year. Oline improved but a long ways to go. Geno Smith killing it like he did us that one time :lol:
You mean when he had the 158.3 perfect passer rating, 'cuz we couldn't tackle a 3-year-old in a wheelchair? Ya...

The Ingold first down run on third and short looked good.
Said it when we cut Sony Michel but we’re gonna blow 2nd half leads when we’re trying to stay ahead of the sticks and convert situationally when ur grind it out RBs weigh 200lbs.

When the chargers were milking clock and had a must convert short yardage play at the end of the game guess who they handed it off to. Sony

We handed a must have 3rd and 2 to chase edmunds and he goes down at first contact and we punt

It don’t gotta be Sony but it’s gotta be someone. 4 backs on the roster that all weigh like 205lbs or less. It’s gonna be a problem
For the record, the Chargers had six run plays where it was either third or fourth down and 2 or less. Only one time did they have Michel on the field. I wouldn’t say they view him as their best option for third and short.

Pats played a seven box to eight to pressure Tua. Not easy to run there. But we still needed a better performance.

We can take some solace in the fact that the 49ers tended to start slow and by the second half of the season were running over everyone. I imagine its going to take them a while to figure out what works. Just hold out hope that the front 5 can stay relatively healthy.

Back
Top Bottom