Out Of Town Phins Phans? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Out Of Town Phins Phans?

Raised in l.a. But family in Miami and I go twice a year since I waS a kid. Also lived out there 3 years.
GO DOLPHINS!!!!!!!!!!!!

im from long beach cali.an i dont really know why i became a Dolphin fan.my fam. likes the raiders,an rams due to the LA connection but im diehard phin fan an i just take it for what it is no real explanation lol

I am from NC and have lived here all my life. I am the youngest of 7 and one of my brothers was in the AF and stationed down in Homestead. After he got out he got married and went in together with a buddy to start a Karate academy down there (this was in the late 70s). Since he was older and I never got to see him, he was kinda like this hero of mine.

In the early 80s I started to get into sports and when I started to pick a team it was obvious to me to pick the team closest to where my brother lived. I have been a fan every since. I will admit there were a few years after the panthers came to town that I had both dolphin posters and panther curtains up at the same time. But the fins were always #1.

Funny thing about my brother is he moved back up here in the early 90s and he is such a dork. I can't believe I used to practically worship him. He lives behind me now, and he is the brother the rest of us pick on all the time. He has the brains of a bag of doorknobs. lol But at least he did bring me my one true love.....the miami dolphins!!

So many different stories. This is a cool thread. Living in L.A., I always get asked why I am DIEHARD Dolphins fan.

Like a few of you, I was also born and raised in PA, 2 hours north of Pitt. Like the majority of you, Dan Marino won me over. Up until the age of 10, I was a Steeler fan, t-shirts with Mean Joe Green wearing his 4 rings and everything. But, Danny was a legend in those parts in the early 80's as the QB of the Pitt Panthers. The 94/95 season (his 2nd year as a Phin) when he led that team to the Super Bowl, was one of the most exciting and dissappointing times of my life. Dan the Man's athletic ability coupled with his fire made so friggin awesome.

But, I've moved on now and still love my Phins. From Armstrong and Bowens to JT, ZT, and now RB, I will live and die a Miami Dolphins fan. If only Ronnie was a Phin 20 years earlier, Marino would have had his ring FOR SURE.

Very cool thread.

My dad has been a Fin fan since he was a youngin' in high school in the late 60's and early 70's. When I was born (86') I had missed the upcoming of the great Dan Marino, but ever since I can remember I have been marveled at his ability to throw the football. Not only throw the ball, but his competitiveness, and desire. Also his great ability to make those D lineman looks silly when he would side step him.

My dad did watch the Phins all the time, but never really pushed the Phins on me. I have to say from what I have learned about our beloved Phins, it did not take much convincing at all. This is a great franchise with a rich history and I am proud to be a Phins fan! Living in AZ I don't get to watch every game, but I watch at least 10 a year.

Being an Aussie, until 5 years ago, we maybe got 1 hour of NFL a week. Back in the late 80's I came home from arvo shift & flicked the TV on and the Dolphins were playing the Browns in Cleveland. It was a mud bowl. Wet, horrible conditions, but in the end Miami prevailed by a TD. It was the 1st NFL game that I remember seeing & taking notice of. Since then, I have followed the NFL. We get between 3 & 5 games a weekend, so I see more than enough. Just not enough of the phins. Bit of luck we may get to see 3 or 4 games this year.

Just on a side note, I just got back from 6 weeks in the USA. Had a great time over there too. My younger brother was with me, and he has NEVER liked NFL, or rugby league for that matter, got interested in the NFL by listening to the NFL programs on Sirrius radio. I was listening to the program, then he started asking questions. Thinking he was bored & asking questions so that I would get the ****s, changed the channel over & he flicked it straight back. He was interested in the game.

As it happened, we were coming into Indianapolis at the time, and went past the Colts new stadium. He wanted to have a look at it. So we did. He is now a NFL convert, and....a Colts fan. Could have been worse, we could have visited NJ or NE.

So, that my story.

Well it appears I am older than most. I was raised in Orlando in the 60's and the only pro team was the Fins. I had the pleasure of the early glory years and have been hooked every since. Moved to Tampa in the late 70's, but remained loyal to the fins.

Long before the days of "Sunday ticket",the best games shown in Toronto were Miami games.(Marino v.s Bruce Smith).And the "Man Law" here in T.O clearly says we must hate any team from western NY.I think Marino alone converted half of this city to Dolphin fans!

Being from San Antonio, Texas is like the Dallas Cowboys 2nd home. My dad was a Cowboys fan when he was younger. Then as he got older he realized how EVERYONE here liked the Cowboys. He was looking to be different. He saw the uniforms/colors of the Miami Dolphins and he was hooked. By the time I was old enough to really pay attention and enjoy football, the only team I cared about was the Dolphins because of course I wanted be like my dad and I really liked Dan Marino. And looking back Im glad he lead me in the right direction. Im just a Dolphan in sea of Cowboys and I love it.

WOW RONIN!

That is the exact same game which made me a fan of our fins.
I remember watching it on Thanksgiving at the age of 7.
My whole family (plus extended relatives) was rooting against the Cowboys.

When Pete made that field goal then...I was a fan for life.
Picked the Fins and never looked back.

Weird coincidence.[/quote]

Man, that's hard to believe. What a small world.

These are some great stories.

I grew up in PA and when I was a little kid my uncle that taught me how to play football was a huge dolphins fan. I remember my first game ever watching when I was little was Marino and the marks brothers going to work and it was a thing of beauty and I was a diehard from that point on

It's in my blood. I was born and raised in Miami when Miami was a southern town. Been a follower of the Dolphins since day one. Went off to college and the job kept me one state north. Comprende? :chuckle:

So many different stories. This is a cool thread. Living in L.A., I always get asked why I am DIEHARD Dolphins fan.

Like a few of you, I was also born and raised in PA, 2 hours north of Pitt. Like the majority of you, Dan Marino won me over. Up until the age of 10, I was a Steeler fan, t-shirts with Mean Joe Green wearing his 4 rings and everything. But, Danny was a legend in those parts in the early 80's as the QB of the Pitt Panthers. The 94/95 season (his 2nd year as a Phin) when he led that team to the Super Bowl, was one of the most exciting and dissappointing times of my life. Dan the Man's athletic ability coupled with his fire made so friggin awesome.

But, I've moved on now and still love my Phins. From Armstrong and Bowens to JT, ZT, and now RB, I will live and die a Miami Dolphins fan. If only Ronnie was a Phin 20 years earlier, Marino would have had his ring FOR SURE.

94/95 ?? Athletic ability?? Was it his 9 sec 40 time or his 3 inch vertical jump that did it for ya?? Jus messing wit ya there buddy. :crazy:

94/95 ?? Athletic ability?? Was it his 9 sec 40 time or his 3 inch vertical jump that did it for ya?? Jus messing wit ya there buddy. :crazy:

Howzabout Dan's dancing ability? His side-step, or two-step, was as good as anything I saw JT do. At least for a Dolphan. LOL

And I have seen him jump over a foot, although he did have a bit of help from a LB.

all my grandparents lived in Fl. and my grandma is a dolphins fan. on top of that I've always wanted to be a marine biologist since i can remember so my love of dolphins has helped too. I think I've been a dolphins fan since i was 3, Dan was my idol growing up. In a year i will be a marine biologist, hurray!

Back
Top Bottom