Overreaction Or Legit Concern

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Classic, Aug 10, 2018 at 11:05 AM.

1. Classic

Classic Well-Known Member

Seeing alot of panic on the forum from one preseason game. One where two of our defenders didn't suit up and our one's played a few series.

Overreaction or Legit Concern:

Raekwon underwhelming?

Parker invisible?

Kicking competition?

Secondary struggles?

Penalities?

No pass rush?

Interior DL?

Weigh in... I'll be back with my takes

2. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

This is one of the least talented rosters in the NFL top to bottom. That’s not an overreaction. That’s just reality.

3. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat Finheaven VIP

Yours.

Vaark, damaster21, Coolguy3 and 25 others like this.
  4. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat Finheaven VIP

I'm of the opinion that we need to see a lot more than one quarter of preseason football from our projected starters before we get up in arms over this team.

Anvil35, Danny68, coalesce and 8 others like this.
  5. Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come A True Fan

Team of shame

Buddy likes this.
  6. MRojas4

MRojas4 The Cheese Connoisseur Finheaven VIP

Watched the first 10 minutes. I understand it's all vanilla play calling.

But our D-line, specifically the DT's got thrown around. Zero push, zero anything. I know Suh didn't live up to the hype, but we better do something.

Again, just off fundamentals.

On the other hand, Minkah looking like the real deal.

7. superphin

superphin don't go clown shoes on us Finheaven VIP

Maybe a bit of both, usually the cycle is, well it's just minicamp, well it's just the 1st pre season game, well it's jus the 4th preseason game, well it's just game one of the season, well we might still make the playoffs if, well we had some injuries-things didn't go our way, well there's always next year after Brady regresses.

8. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

Panic? Here? Never.

More like conditioned acceptance.

9. Classic

Raekwon: I'm not discouraged that he didn't flash during the game, I just have no idea what he brings to the table besides hope. He's praised around here like he's this defenses' savior and it's very premature.

Parker: I'm genuinely concerned. What's with this guy? All the talent in the world but I have no faith that he's going to put it together.

Kicking comp: Legit concern of mine. I think we figure to be in alot of dog fights, we need someone reliable. Idk if he's on the roster yet

Secondary struggles: Reshad didn't play and regardless of the two passes completed on him, I think X is going to be big for us this year. LOVED what I saw from Minkah and he's going to get better. Im a bit concerned that nobody has emerged in the battle for 2nd CB slot.

Penalties: YES. Clean that **** up. We can't afford to beat ourselves.

No pass rush: Not concerned, in fact I think we're going to be alot better than people think in this area.

Interior DL: don't think it's going to be a strength of ours but honestly we were getting gashed with Suh in there. I think the hockey rotation approach will pay dividends but DT will be an early draft pick for us in a loaded class next off-season

Vaark, tay0365, Travis34 and 2 others like this.
  10. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

Raekwon underwhelming? Overreaction - Kid can play football, mind you even though he was drafted a year ago, he is essentially a rookie. Game speed is going to take a little time, butu he will eventually get it. Too hard of a worker and too much natural talent.

Parker invisible? Legit Concern, for him, but I think there is easily enough talent on the roster at WR that Parker may not need to matter.

Kicking competition? Legit Concern, although his miss was a 50 plus yarder, but he does need to be better. I'm talking Sanders only...Joseph isn't really going to be considered.

Secondary struggles? Overreaction, A lot of guys moved in and out, no Jones, I think that unit will be fine.

Penalities? Legit Concern, although it does seem like they are improving...from the scrimmage to this game. IF we see more then one presnap penalty in the next game then we should be worried.

No pass rush? Legit Concern, especially with knowing Burke does not like to blitz...so it is those 4 or nothing.

Interior DL? Legit Concern, yeah, they could be serviceable, but we are not strong enough at backer to make up for it.

11. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Raekwon isn't all the way back yet. It's not necessarily a concern for him - yet. That's to be determined. However, is it a concern for Miami in terms of how they compensate in the meantime? Most likely.

I had Parker as my top Senior WR for the entire 2014 college football season. I ended up moving him to #2 behind Kevin White in the final days leading up to the draft. In other words, I thought highly of Devante Parker. I just don't think he's going to pan out. I don't think he loves football. He's ok. I don't believe he has greatness within him. He doesn't want it. You've got to want it more than everybody else. Not just have more talent.

I don't know why Miami can't decide on a kicker. They just keep rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Secondary is going to work itself out some. If injury or two hits, that's another story.

Penalties are a concern. That's coaching. Period.

No pass rush is legitimate. The only pass rusher Miami has that warrants any confidence is Wake, and he's old.

Interior of the DLine is the same story as secondary in my opinion.

NBP81, McMichael, Vaark and 11 others like this.
  12. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

Any time now. Can't be much longer. Can it?

Trade Viper, Classic and superphin like this.
  13. PhishyPhishy

PhishyPhishy Well-Known Member

I took things a bit differently then others while watching this game. I thought the first drive had some really positive things. Tannehill rolling out with ease. Fightingback from 1st and 20. Getting in scoring position on the loan drive our starters played in. Was it perfect, nope. But if you were expecting perfect from our offense getting their qb back after 20 months off you were going to be disappointed no matter what happened. The offense is fine and will be the strength of this team.

Defensively I agree there were some very concerning signs at all 3 levels. But as others stated Jones, Wake, and Quinn the three pro bowlers on defense did not play a down. McMillan like Tannehill is working himself back so the fact he didn't make any glaring mistakes was a positive, he will be ready come week 1 I firmly believe that. My biggest let down was from our corners, particularly Xavien. He didn't play well at all against very good competition and that cannot be the case if this defense is going to stop people this season. But boy do I adore Minkah Fitzpatrick, best draft pick for this staff yet.

Final verdict: Overreaction

claytonduper, PAphins, Ray R and 2 others like this.
  14. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

Eh... You never really know about a team in the NFL until at least Week 5 of the regular season. I'm not stressing over the first preseason game in which starters barely played and no actual gameplans were implemented.

Danny68 likes this.
  15. Classic

I really liked what I saw from the first team offense as well. Considering it was the first live game action from RT in ages, he looked pretty good. Agile, confident. OL looked really good. Something to build on for sure

Travis34, joenhre and Ray R like this.
  16. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Im past the point of just looking at it as a camp or first game problem.

The offense hasn’t been able to produce points and never starts quick. (Or rarely). The hope is/ was with the QB back and changes on the roster this year would be different- it still very well might be.

I have just moved to a position of doubt until you show me different. Same situation with the defense - defending the middle of the field and stopping the run etc.

The trends are the same it seems also no matter if its first team or second team or third for the most part.

Hoping to see better from here, but just to dismiss the struggles as its camp or pre season - including the penalties- I think would be looking through things through rose colored glasses and might be really disappointed again.

Another month were going to find out for real

thefieds, Spiff, joerobbie and 2 others like this.
  17. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

How can anyone say that the fans are wrong to have doubts? This team hasn't won a superbowl in 45 YEARS!!!!

I'm hoping for the best and one pre season game does not make a season but the team doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.
    They need to go out there and earn our trust.

18. Danny

beat by a couple of minutes. I too saw some trends that are not good. Things we've seen before. Maybe the team will be different this year but nothing we saw last night screams changed. We'll see what happens. Too early to tell but I'm a little skeptic at the moment.

Albert Romano likes this.
  19. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Unfortunately I was unable to watch the game and instead I searched the Internet and Twitter trying to find updates On the game. All these negative reports on the defense scares the h*** out of me. The same thing last pre season and after the 1st 5 games of the regular season Miami's defense faltered and fell off the rails. Cause for concern I believe so!!

20. MRojas4

MRojas4 The Cheese Connoisseur Finheaven VIP

Minkah was balling though!

D-Coord better find a way to plug in all 3 of our Pro Bowl level Safety.

dolfan91 likes this.
  21. Classic

You weren't encouraged by the lone drive from the first team offense? Tannehill looked good considering it was his first game action in a year and a half. The OL which has been a huge concern played really well. Drake 5ypc. Were in position to put up points, just gotta make the kick

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 12:10 PM
    Phinatic8u likes this.
  22. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Ryan made a couple good throws and a couple bad, to be expected at this point IMO. That holding call again, we did overcome that. It was still a longer FG attempt.

The key for me is Points, we dont score and havent scored enough- its that simple at this time for me.

Again, it can change- I get it but I need to see complete drives ending in TD’s more often

djphinfan likes this.
  23. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

First team offense looked fine. Then add in Wilson who played well and Gesicki looked like a mismatch.

First team D got carved up.

That’s about all I took from that game.

NBP81 and Ray R like this.
  24. Hooligan

Hooligan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

It was just good to see some football.
    We're not going to win the SB this season and probably won't even make the play-offs if Las Vegas has our number.
    This should not be considered a make or break year for Gase or Tannehill.
    I want to see solid improvement from week to week and entertaining football when the regular season starts.

25. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Given the certified underwhelming performance of this team over the past umpteen years (excluding a minor lucky blip called 2016) I tend to believe everything is a concern until proven otherwise. And I'll start with the HC and move down...

Gase has a LOT to prove in terms of producing a consistent winning product on the field. I tend to get the impression he's better at his pressers than what he's achieving on the field. And that's the core point -- its all about the product on the field -- not the hype or supposed "brilliance" behind the design. Gase needs to SHOW us an efficient, effective, disciplined O that tends to score early and often. Until that's been proven, Gase is a concern in my view.

We all know the deal with Ryan. I want to believe but there are definite unprovens and therefore legit concerns. Bottom line -- its based on production and points on the board. I just don't see Thill ever being capable of consistently executing an O that lights up the scoreboard. His brand (regretfully) trends towards sporadic -- lacking consistency and execution at crucial times. Sure. I hope he proves to be a pinball wizard with the scoreboard. But...

Matt Burke. Other than being a sarcastic rascal and extreme vacationer -- what has he proven as an N F L DC? Kind of reminds me of Gase in the sense I get the feeling Burke talks a better game than he actually produces. Another unproven that has to be a concern.

Last, considering the team has so many other unprovens and/or concerns its highly doubtful we're going to turn the corner on every one of them this season. And I'm OK with that. But its has to start at the TOP. Gase has to prove he can create a disciplined TEAM -- and especially an O that scores early and often. He's touted as an offensive guru ("brilliant") and the team has a lot of pieces he hand picked.

So get the job done.

Or get outta town!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 12:46 PM
  26. Classic

I gotta disagree on the Tannehill comment. It's time. Best OL he's had, deep/talented receiving core, what looks to be his best TE, deep stable of running backs - it's time. Period. If he doesn't produce we have to bring in legit competition for him next year and have an open competition for QB1

27. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

My concern is the defensive scheme. I know people here say, no plan was made for this game but I don't get that. If you don't practice your real defense against other teams in preseason, do we just hope and pray it works in game one?
    If there's no plan, why not blitz more, take some chances since these are "Free games."
    All I see and hear is Burke displaying an air of ****iness talking tough, telling players, "You're not going to like me." Blah blah. I'm unimpressed this game, last season, and the season before.

Trade Viper likes this.
  28. joeylats

joeylats FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

The secondary played off man,not Xaviens forte.One of the catches against him was a zone. Anthony is just plain
    horrible completely clueless.D-line must do better,McMillan gets a pass but he better start showing something.
    All said not a bad first showing TB kept starters in quite a while vs our 2nds.O-line looked solid.wrs very good as
    well as rbs.The one big suprise for me was Thomas Duarte got extended snaps and looked solid

Ray R and joenhre like this.
  29. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

It's good to know that Minkah Fitzpatrick and Baker played well. Perhaps there is some hope moving forward. But I'm not going to feel any better until I start to see results on defense. Thank god for the 2019 draft being loaded at the DL position, that's an area I think will end up being the top priority.

30. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

Now I made the Raekwon thread more because I've been wondering why we're considering him a big fix in the middle without ever seeing him play in the NFL for a long while. It had more to do with that than what I saw last night. Football is a long game, you really can't draw any conclusions from a couple series. I've seen many a game where the Miami defense gives up a score on the first drive and ultimately won the game. I'm not that guy who expects the defense to give up 0 points and the offense to score on every possession. Don't laugh we have them here without a doubt, you could tell from the game thread last night. So no I'm not concerned after one preseason games where the starters barely played.

Ray R and Classic like this.
  31. finomenal

finomenal FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Why do that? A couple of snaps in preseason game #1 isn't enough of a sample size? lol

Vaark, Danny68, Liphinphan and 2 others like this.
  32. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

I'll wait till the 3rd preseason game to pass judgement

33. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

When you say " no plan was made for this game but I don't get that.", I believe you.

Gsmack_42 and Classic like this.
  34. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

Joseph was 1/1 from 48 yards.

Hopefully he can get 2-3 tries next game.

35. Danny

it seems every year we hear that we need to wait cause it's only the first pre season game. Then the season starts and we hear it's just the first regular season game. And then by the 6 game of the year we start talking about the draft.....lol

36. bradmcnutt13

bradmcnutt13 A True Fan

We know that our DT's aren't very good. We're going to have to bring Jones up a lot and hope that the pass rush gets home and that our secondary holds up with the single safety. DE and secondary is the strength of this team so they're going to have to deliver.

37. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Finheaven VIP Donator

Haven't you been ****ting on the team in other threads though?

Ray R likes this.
  38. SCLSU Mud Dogs

If you have to start a thread that says "overreaction or legit concern" after the first preseason game, it's absolutely an overreaction.

39. SCLSU Mud Dogs

It's going to be really nice after wins when you don't post at all.

40. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

Overreaction or Legit Concern:

Raekwon underwhelming? Overreaction, for now. I consider Raekwon a rookie still. The fact he made it through the game without injury is a move in the right direction. Last year he played one snap on special teams and was done for the season. He's still young (21?) so there's time. I was never high on him as a draft pick but if he can at least be a thumper and stop all these gashing runs against the defense then the team has made progress.

Parker invisible? Legit concern. I think the Parker we've seen, the one that shows flashes every now and again...I think that's all we're going to get. As deep as this position is it would be smart of the Dolphins to try and trade him for anything they can get. Cleveland traded their 1st round pick WR to Buffalo for a 7th round pick in return...Parker has more value than that. If someone offered me a 5th I think I'd pull the trigger. I think we'd be just as good with a corp of Amendola, Wilson, Stills, Ford and Jakeem Grant. Obviously not a lot of size in that group but then Parker hasn't played like a 6'3" WR either. He's played more like a 6'0" WR.

Kicking competition? Overreaction. Don't forget that Parkey kicked a few KOs out of bounds when he first got here too. Joseph kicked one out of bounds but he made his FG attempt from 48 yards and Sanders made his extra point attempt and went 2/3 on FGs with his one miss coming from 53 yards. That's not a bad debut. The battle is not over.

Secondary struggles? Legit concern. This was an issue last year with communication being the biggest problem. The longer this takes to sort out the CB opposite Howard the more worrisome I feel this will be. Dolphins never got the communication issue worked out last year. They hired a new DB coach and still the issues remain. Is it an intelligence issue? Is it a lack of ability issue? A combination of both? This one worries me.

Penalities? Gase's teams are highly penalized. Go back and look at the offenses he's run in the NFL. All of them rack up penalties. It is what it is. Just learn to live with it.

No pass rush? Major concern. We got no pass rush on a banged up Tampa Bay O-line. Secondary struggles contribute to the lack of pass rush. Teams know that this defense struggles with the short passing game because of the linebackers and bad communication issues. Until that's resolved all of these high draft picks and traded draft picks for players who make a living getting to the QB was done for nothing.

Interior DL? Not as concerned with this as I am with linebacker play. Seemed to me, from the little I got to see, that Tampa's O-line wasn't getting to the second level. DL was taking up the blockers at least, if they weren't getting the tackles. Where were the linebackers to clean up? I said this last year when we traded for Stephone Anthony but that dude has no instinct and/or he's dumb as rocks. If you watch Tampa's first rushing TD Anthony takes himself completely out of the play...he has no clue where the ball is and he left a huge gapping hole. This dude's another Phillip Wheeler.