Owners approve extra point change | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Owners approve extra point change

This is a fun rule change, but I'd be surprised if any Dolphins fan read this and felt confident trotting ol' weird facemask Sturgis out there.

New 2015 strategy...GO FOR TWO EVERY TIME!

Makes me feel even better about signing Cameron and drafting Ajayi and Parker. Hell, put Suh and Phillips in there. :lol:

You know, it really wouldn't be all that dumb to take a look at what Oregon does with their swinging gate PATs. If the numbers don't add up, have your guy run it. They do it very well. Hell I'm only half kidding when I say I'd have more confidence with that approach than sending Sturgis out there.

That doesn't work now that's the pat is from the 15

I see Sturgis has never missed an extra point and has missed three field goals of 40 yard or less (including those that were blocked). Has he ever missed a kick of 32 yards or less?

researched it.. he has never missed a fg of 32 yards or less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of what has made this game as great as it is today is the willingness to change the game for the better of the on field product vs hanging on to tradition for dear life. Without said change we'd still be watching 2yds and a cloud of dust every play and 7-0 games.

That said, if you don't like it you dont like it...fair enough.

I do like the ability of the defense to score two pts. Wont happen often but could be interesting.

I do agree that change is important. It's almost funny to watch old football games with the goalposts at the front of the end zone until you realize it was actually pretty dangerous. The last thing anyone wants is for the NFL to take the MLB approach which is to simply refuse to modernize and adapt to societal and cultural changes to the point where they've essentially lost an entire generation of fans. I just think this change is a tad bit drastic.

That doesn't work now that's the pat is from the 15

You can do it from a QB and HB backfield instead of kicker and holder, but I'm not sure teams would risk it with the much faster defenses in the NFL.

Just stupid- this doesn't increase "competition" it just increases room for occasional error.

Part of what has made this game as great as it is today is the willingness to change the game for the better of the on field product vs hanging on to tradition for dear life. Without said change we'd still be watching 2yds and a cloud of dust every play and 7-0 games.

That said, if you don't like it you dont like it...fair enough.

I do like the ability of the defense to score two pts. Wont happen often but could be interesting.

I also think change is good. When I started watching the Phins in the early 70's, the goalposts were about a foot behind the goal line. Csonka often would bounce off them. In the NBA they didn't have three-pointers, which made the game kind of dull....college basketball didn't allow dunks....things change and they usually are for the better.

I see Sturgis has never missed an extra point and has missed three field goals of 40 yard or less (including those that were blocked). Has he ever missed a kick of 32 yards or less?

researched it.. he has never missed a fg of 32 yards or less.

Yeah, he is pretty reliable inside the 40. I don't see this being an issue. He might miss two or three this season but I doubt it costs us a game.

The other teams kickers will be missing them too. If the 32 yard kick rate is around 91% and the average team scores 40 TD's per season you are looking at each team missing 3 to 4 extra points if they kick every time over the course of the season

I like the idea. On the current extra points the linemen don't even try unless it is a game ending situation. With the kick being more like a FG this play will become more contested and more like a real football play.

Well celebration penalties and other penalties that affect the distance of an extra point try just became real penalties.

I do agree that change is important. It's almost funny to watch old football games with the goalposts at the front of the end zone until you realize it was actually pretty dangerous. The last thing anyone wants is for the NFL to take the MLB approach which is to simply refuse to modernize and adapt to societal and cultural changes to the point where they've essentially lost an entire generation of fans. I just think this change is a tad bit drastic.

I can understand the drastic viewpoint. Plus once a few teams lose a missed extra point we can bet on some serious complaining. The 2pt conversion was also a big change (even if it was already in use everywhere else) and I personally think that has improved the game, specifically when a team is down by 8 or 15/16 late in the game.

Just a thought. If you line up for 2 points. Can you audible to kick? If so wouldnt that be a loop hole to kick from the 2 yard line?

Just a thought. If you line up for 2 points. Can you audible to kick? If so wouldnt that be a loop hole to kick from the 2 yard line?

You mean a drop kick? I was thinking the same thing. Say that we line up for the 2 point attempt. Tannehill is in the shotgun. At the snap of the ball, everyone is covered, and Tannehill can't run it in. If he drop kicks (still legal) the ball through the uprights, how many points do we score?

Back
Top Bottom