Panthers sign Roberts and Nieuwendyk | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Panthers sign Roberts and Nieuwendyk

what the? u see the pic of brodeur with his goatee? HAHAHAHHAHA oh man he looks like a fruit

Slappy8800 said:
what the? u see the pic of brodeur with his goatee? HAHAHAHHAHA oh man he looks like a fruit

Really? Still looks like the best goaltender on the planet to me. :D

FireWrongstedt said:
No dude- it's $2.25 mil EACH.

I know what it is. I also know that Nieuwendyk will vastly improve our faceoff winning percentage, something we've sucked at since Mike Sillinger was traded. I know that both will provide leadership to a team that was previously captained by Olli Jokinen because he scored the most goals and before that by nobody because we didn't have anyone capable of doing the job. I know that both will teach all of our young players how to be successful in the NHL. And I know that we still have buckets of money to spend on two more very good players, one more all-world player, or 3 or 4 more average-to-good players.

It looks bad on the periphery if you don't understand what the Panthers need, and that's not an insult. But for years, we've needed guys to do the little things...digging the puck out of the corners, checking in open ice, putting the puck in the goal without making that extra pass, etc. Both of these guys will do that. It was crucial for us to get this kind of player. It was great to get him twice.

RWhitney014 said:
I know what it is. I also know that Nieuwendyk will vastly improve our faceoff winning percentage, something we've sucked at since Mike Sillinger was traded. I know that both will provide leadership to a team that was previously captained by Olli Jokinen because he scored the most goals and before that by nobody because we didn't have anyone capable of doing the job. I know that both will teach all of our young players how to be successful in the NHL. And I know that we still have buckets of money to spend on two more very good players, one more all-world player, or 3 or 4 more average-to-good players.

It looks bad on the periphery if you don't understand what the Panthers need, and that's not an insult. But for years, we've needed guys to do the little things...digging the puck out of the corners, checking in open ice, putting the puck in the goal without making that extra pass, etc. Both of these guys will do that. It was crucial for us to get this kind of player. It was great to get him twice.

They might be childhood friends but they are not the same kind of player.The player you described fits Roberts to a tee. Add to that the fact he's played in nearly every situation, and he'll be a great locker room influence. Every team needs a player like Roberts and you'll love him down in Florida, especially if you reach the playoffs, where he brings his game to a whole new level (I know as a Leafs fan).

Nierdermayer is a lot faster, has better vision and softer hands but is a lot less willing to sacrifice his body. I'd be wary of him at this point, might be too injury prone to be depended on.

It's a risk that the Panthers can take, only because of the long term benefit it could have on the younger players.

Pink_Dove said:
They might be childhood friends but they are not the same kind of player.The player you described fits Roberts to a tee. Add to that the fact he's played in nearly every situation, and he'll be a great locker room influence. Every team needs a player like Roberts and you'll love him down in Florida, especially if you reach the playoffs, where he brings his game to a whole new level (I know as a Leafs fan).

Nierdermayer is a lot faster, has better vision and softer hands but is a lot less willing to sacrifice his body. I'd be wary of him at this point, might be too injury prone to be depended on.

It's a risk that the Panthers can take, only because of the long term benefit it could have on the younger players.

Niedermayer? We signed Nieuwendyk...is that who you meant to say?

Still, he's going to bring veteran leadership and be productive. We haven't had players like that since we got rocked by Colorado in the Cup Finals in 1996.

RWhitney014 said:
Niedermayer? We signed Nieuwendyk...is that who you meant to say?

Still, he's going to bring veteran leadership and be productive. We haven't had players like that since we got rocked by Colorado in the Cup Finals in 1996.

:goof: My bad...Nieuwendyk

Latest rumours have Modano and Leetch going to Boston :eek:

Pink_Dove said:

I've got Holik in Atlanta, Murray and McEachern in Boston, the 3 d-men in Philly, Modano in Boston, and Demitra in LA.

EDIT: Yep, Demitra to the Kings for 3 and 13.5...with every 4-5 million dollar signing I'm getting more and more impressed that we got two pretty damn good players for that same price.

RWhitney014 said:
I've got Holik in Atlanta, Murray and McEachern in Boston, the 3 d-men in Philly, Modano in Boston, and Demitra in LA.

EDIT: Yep, Demitra to the Kings for 3 and 13.5...with every 4-5 million dollar signing I'm getting more and more impressed that we got two pretty damn good players for that same price.

Where do you think Satan and Pallfy are heading ??

Pink_Dove said:

Great. Maybe we can pull Mike Richter out of retirement and reassemble the 2002 US Olympic team.

The Bruins' focus on these old farts with big names is just another indicator that they're going to trade Thornton and let Gonchar walk and package them as worthwhile replacements. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

The Panthers also re-signed D Joel Kwiatkowski to a 2 year deal. Man, Keenan is busy.

I don't care what people say about hockey and about the Panthers, but I'm pretty excited about 2005 because we are making moves we have never had the luxury to make. That's not to say we are building a Stanley Cup team for this year, but with the young talent Florida has and the veterans Keenan is assembling to help them get better, you never know.

Back
Top Bottom