Parcells drinking Ryan's Kool-Aid? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Parcells drinking Ryan's Kool-Aid?

As I quoted above from the urban dictionary, it means more than your single definition 'today'. And it's from quite an informal source.

yeah i get it. my bad i guess, just figured someone would want to know what they were unintentionally saying. like i said, i meant no disrespect. but when i read the thread title and the posts that follow - i immediately started laughing. i guess my mind is just in the gutter - but i bet noone will use that expression again knowing what it can mean, especially in that context. i am laughing even trying to explain this. no offense everyone, but wouldn't you want to know?

Thanks for making my point for me. Like I said, he's not saying anything, i.e. he's not putting up a smokescreen.

How hard would it be to grab the ear of any sports media guy and say, "We're probably going to draft Matt Ryan."
Because actions speak louder than words. Parcells sent at least four representatives to Ryan's Pro Day workout. To Brohm's? None. Even if he has set up a private meeting with Brohm (which was reported after I wrote this article) it would surely appear as though he's more interested in Ryan.

Who knows? When the draft draws nearer, maybe he will go to the media. I definitely wouldn't put it past him. But I don't think he has to.

Thanks for making my point for me. Like I said, he's not saying anything, i.e. he's not putting up a smokescreen.

How hard would it be to grab the ear of any sports media guy and say, "We're probably going to draft Matt Ryan."

Lol your point wasn't even close to being made. It's simple, you have no clue what other GM'S and teams believe. Just because Parcells isn't in the media's face saying "WE ARE TAKING RYAN" doesn't mean he isn't doing a good job on smoke screening.

To me, less is more. Not coming out and giving Beck a vote of confidence. Signing a very "Non successful" QB to "Challenge" Beck for the starting role. Asking Green or expressing interest in him coming back.

Those are the things that would worry me more as a GM then Parcells saying to the media " We need a QB"

Because actions speak louder than words. Parcells sent at least four representatives to Ryan's Pro Day workout. To Brohm's? None. Even if he has set up a private meeting with Brohm (which was reported after I wrote this article) it would surely appear as though he's more interested in Ryan.

Who knows? When the draft draws nearer, maybe he will go to the media. I definitely wouldn't put it past him. But I don't think he has to.

Exactly. I mean after all we were going to draft Braylon Edwards weren't we? Oh and then we were gonna draft Quinn if he fell and our "Backup" plan was to draft Willis wasn't it?

So how did those work out for us? I mean that's what they said they were gonna do basically.

Just a hater's blog. Nothing of any worth. The guy is just hating on Matt Ryan, who actually did do better on his pro day. He only overthrew "1" ball, to Brohm's "3" overthrows.

Also, if BP was really only interested in smokescreening...he would have been working out MacFadden and stating how he isn't sure Brown would be ready for the opener and u can't just put all ur marbles in one basket and so forth...

but no, he isn't doing that. He is actually scouting Matt Ryan, who has impressed scouts enough to warrant the #1 overall pick and be called the consensus "best QB" in the draft. And admitting that he doesn't have enough confidence in john beck to "not" draft a QB and not enough confidence in john beck to "not" name him the starter and open it up for a competition at QB.

He obviously is drafting Beck's potential replacement. Why? because if he was just drafting a "3rd" QB to fill the last roster spot, he would just scout "second day" QBs. But no, he is scouting not only "first day" QBs like Flacco, Henne, and Brohm....but he is scouting the "best QB" in the draft, potential #1 overall pick: Matt Ryan. :hi5:

Exactly. I mean after all we were going to draft Braylon Edwards weren't we? Oh and then we were gonna draft Quinn if he fell and our "Backup" plan was to draft Willis wasn't it?

So how did those work out for us? I mean that's what they said they were gonna do basically.

no, that was just in ur mind...:up:

somebody says 'get off my kool aid' when you are hitting on their girlfriend. don't really see how that applies here. good read though.

Drinking the Kool-Aid is a reference to the Jim Jones cult mass suicide in the 1970s. Jim Jones was a cult leader and brought his followers down to Guyana where he gave them all poisoned kool-aid and they all drank it and died, including him.

I think almost everyone on this site wants to "Drink John Becks Kool-Aid" by what everyone is saying about how great he is and lets give him a chance and we dont need to draft a good QB lets keep playing a QB that should be no more than a signal caller for the rest of eternity. Ryan is not the answer wither he is Ryan Leaf Good, or Todd Marinovich Good, or even Joey Harrington Good. They were all good maybe great QB in college but once they went pro they were terrible. If Brohm fall to 32 or even 57 we have to take him I think. I mean how do you even fall from if he would have came out last year he would have been a top 10 pick to he might not even get drafted by the 3rd round . He would be a 2nd round steal. Even with a terrible team like last year Beck should have threw a couple of TD at least. Beck is not the answer and Parcells knows that. Maybe we can get a 2 nd round pick for him and draft Brohm and Flacco/Henne in the 2nd with those picks. thanks and no disrespect towards you John Beck lovers cause you are doing what any fan is supposed to do-- Love your QB and have faith. But arent you guys losing faith in how our team works. I mean Ray Lucas, Trent Green, Harrington , Culpepper, Fiedler, Huard, Rosenfels, Lemon, Leaf, Cade McCown, Mike Quinn, Brian Griese, Jason Garrett, AJ Feely, Gus Frerotte, Shane Matthews, Casey Bramlet, Scott Aolak, Jim Drukenmiller, Bernie Kosar. There is a group of guys who could definately go the grocery bagger super bowl. We need to get a QB who can play. I wanted Quinn last year and we didnt get him and Beck was my 2nd choice but I dont think he is an Nfl QB I might be wrong but lets get another to groom into a starting QB=Brohm/Henne/Flacco any will do

Drinking the Kool-Aid is a reference to the Jim Jones cult mass suicide in the 1970s. Jim Jones was a cult leader and brought his followers down to Guyana where he gave them all poisoned kool-aid and they all drank it and died, including him.

Ding ,ding, ding , we have a winner.

I was going to let this go on a few more days , lol.

Baltimore has a top notch scouting department according in most NFL sources so getting them to bite and over pay for Jake Long will be very difficult in the #1 slot. Now if we were in the #4 or #5 slot and Jake were to fall out of the top 3 picks that is a whole different story. The best way for us to move down without another club feeling like they are giving up the bank nad looking foolish is to attempt to find a targeted player from a club picking no further than 4 picks behind us and then be willing to take a bit less than what the trade value chart says we should receive in return. Lets say that Bill has Atlanta targeted as his trade partner thinking that they "really" want Matt Ryan as their QB so he gets them to trade up 2 spots for their 1 pick and their 1st pick in the 3rd round. The value chart says he should get a 2nd rounder but he is willing to take the 3rd plus possibly a 4th or 5th. Atlanta looks good in the trade we get a couple more picks and it could possibly put us in a position to trade down further later in the draft. As CK or some else posted earleir in regards to trading down and picking up more picks and getting better value for the trade it will more than likly happen with our 1str pick in the 2nd or 4th round where a coveted player starts to slide and a team that really wants him can justify paying more in terms of picks than what he actually is really worth. Jimmy Joshnson was great at manipulating those types of situations but I do not see Bill Parcells in the same mold he may attempt to trade down out of the 1st pick but then stands pat on his picks usually after that. I hope Ireland has some influence and drafts like Jimmy did because Jimmy draft were a lot more fun to watch plus their are great players to be found in every round so the more players you draft the more chances of hitting pay dirt. In the Dolphins state of affairs we need all the paydirt we can find this year. Really this is the year to draft numbers like that and as we build the team later then its time to stand pat more to draft a certain player but the numbers drafting philsophy would help us much more now than down the road.

Very astute post. My guess is that it is Atlanta he is trying to dupe in a smokescreen. They are hurting for a qb worse than even the Ravens and they will overpay and overextend to get it (they have a history of doing such since Blank too over that franchise). I first favored staying where we are at but since the past couple of months the numbers game looks more favorable. There are teams you can trade with (Falcons) and others more shrewd (Ravens). My gut is trust the Tuna on this one.

Parcells could walk around humping a life-size cardboard cutout of Matt Ryan and still nobody would believe we're taking him #1.

At least not around this place.

Around here you could spend a 2nd round pick on a QB(Beck), have another guy on the roster for cheap, who knows your system(Lemon), let it be known that you are trying to make a deal for a veteran former pro bowl QB who knows your system(Green), and people around here will still believe some bum who was horrible in several starts the previous season who was overrated his whole career and totally immoble following a knee injury(Culpepper) will have a shot to stick around and battle for a starters job in camp.

So yea. I could see around this place Parcells holding up a billboard that says we are taking Ryan and no one would believe it. In fact I figure if we do take him there will be a few hundred on here talking about how much we are going to fleece Atlanta for him.

Then after Atlanta takes Dorsey they will be talking about how much Baltimore is gonna give and if we can still trade that pick to Dallas for more picks.

Then after Baltimore makes a selection, they will be talking about why we wanted to trade this years #1 overall for a bunch of picks next year.

Then after Ryan wins a few games they will say it was a smokescreen to get Beck to turn it up a notch.

Then after Ryan wins a title they will say well Bill went for a smokescreen and wound up getting lucky with Ryan. :lol:

Whether we are or not is besides the point, but no other NFL team is going to believe it unless it happens

Because yea, like around here all the other NFL teams are certain that John Beck is a future great at QB. Especially the Jets and Bills. They have no doubts about Beck being good.

no, that was just in ur mind...:up:

Right!!!! Just ask Edwards if he felt like he was lied to.

I mean we all know these GM'S are gonna do what they say right? So what's the point of all this really, I mean so much honesty and all

Matt Ryan, Brian Brohm, Chad Henne and Joe Flacco. Ask yourself, do any of them really stand out from one another? I don't think so. Therefore, you don't draft a QB with the #1 overall pick in the 2008 draft!!

Matt Ryan, Brian Brohm, Chad Henne and Joe Flacco. Ask yourself, do any of them really stand out from one another? I don't think so. Therefore, you don't draft a QB with the #1 overall pick in the 2008 draft!!

I think so because before the offseason and all these workouts, Flacco and Henne weren't even top tier guys nw all of a sudden they could be?

Brohm and Ryan definitely stand out for me. If we don't take Ryan #1 overall I am ok with that if we take Jake Long. If Brohm IS there at 32 I would be very upset if we didn't take him. He's the only other QB I would spend a 2nd round pick on. Heck months ago Brohm was the #1 QB anyway. I don't believe in his stock drop personally. I mean it has dropped, but i don't think it should have

Back
Top Bottom