Patriots thinking clear cut favorite to win East | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Patriots thinking clear cut favorite to win East

movalli said:
Pat Fans Are In For A Rude Awaking This Year. You Can't Just Win Because Of The Logo On Your Helmet.

You also can't win just because you last won a Super Bowl 33 years ago!

The Pats are the class of the AFCE, and that's that until somebody knocks them out of the top spot -- and that's on the field not in some delusional fantasy where putting on aqua and orange magically turns journeyman players into Pro Bowlers!

Irish Phin Fan said:
Did anyone really think that they would write an article on a Pats website saying the Dolphins are going to win the East? What did you expect?
yea tru......i aint gonna commnet on that article

Kinzua said:
You also can't win just because you last won a Super Bowl 33 years ago!

The Pats are the class of the AFCE, and that's that until somebody knocks them out of the top spot -- and that's on the field not in some delusional fantasy where putting on aqua and orange magically turns journeyman players into Pro Bowlers!

They may have been the class of the AFCE, but the Pats only won 10 games last year, and have (in my opinion) gone backwards in player personnel. The Dolphins did lose Ricky, but also made some major upgrades to the offense. Unless the Pats make some moves soon, I don’t see them winning the division. That leaves one other team that will compete for the division. I will let you guess who I think that is. Hint, it is not the Bills.

Irish Phin Fan said:
Did anyone really think that they would write an article on a Pats website saying the Dolphins are going to win the East? What did you expect?
Exactly. If anything, this site has more homers than any other fansite.

Then again, this site is rated in the Top 5 on Sports fanboards. So I guess it balances out. =P

Jimi said:
we probably wont come to an agreement on this but ill shoot anywayz. How do you figure your clearly better at WR,DL,TE?

Chris Chambers is the best reciever out of both our teams and we have great depth in Booker,Hagan,Welker,Campbell,Gibson, and Aroushmadah(sp?).

Our DL is stacked. Taylor is the best DL out of both our teams and Kevin Carter and Traylor are very good. Holliday played very well last year.

You have good depth but you gotta put McMike as the best TE.

I did give the Fins WR by a wide margin in my mind. Chambers is the best in the division, booker ain't bad either. The others? Welker is ok, the others need to do something first. Using your formula, Caldwell & Jackson, both unprovenm, beat out all but Chambers.

McMike? Best pass catching TE in the east, otherwise? I'll take Graham as the most well rounded and Watson as the most upside. Add in Thomas and Mills, both hugely productive in college? Pats have the best stable of TE's in the game.

DL? Please. Taylor is a monster, but otherwise? How about they have an advantage as a 4-3 DL, but a 3-4? No way. Pats have the best in the game in my mind. Wilfork will continue to improve, Warren is steady, and Seymour is the best at what he does in the league. With the addition of Sullivan, if BB can get anything out of him, the Pats will now have 4 former 1st rd picks on the DL.

dolfinosteel said:
What this person fails to see is that the Patriots have gotten weaker while the dolphins have gotten stronger. They can say what they want about the Culpepper, but what is going to happen to the Patriots when Brady gets knocked out of the game? We have a backup they don't. What they need to be worried about is how good our defense is going to be, because they are going to be relentless going after Brady.

People keep saying that! Just where did they get that much weaker? The kicker?

Their DL, OL, RB, TE, QB are all stronger. LB got thinner with the loss of Willie, but worse?

They lost Mangini - a rookie DC. Big whoop!

If thats weaker, so be it. No other teams lost anyone, right?

Pats picked up 4 new weapons for Brady in Maroney, Jackson, Thomas & Mills. Just how many more guys do they have to sign? It would be nice if they get Law and Edwards, but that would be the icing on the cake.

This could very well be the best team in terms of depth and talent that the Pats have ever had. For those thinking they're weaker, if it makes you feel better to think so, go for it!

The New Guy said:
They may have been the class of the AFCE, but the Pats only won 10 games last year, and have (in my opinion) gone backwards in player personnel. The Dolphins did lose Ricky, but also made some major upgrades to the offense. Unless the Pats make some moves soon, I don’t see them winning the division. That leaves one other team that will compete for the division. I will let you guess who I think that is. Hint, it is not the Bills.

The Pats won 10 games while defying an injury plague that had them using WRs as DBs in some situations in a couple of games!!! With as many injuries as the Patsies had last year, most other teams would have limped home 6-10 or 7-9. None of the rest of the AFC East teams are even close enough to challenge unless Brady goes down for the season.

I cannot believe that so many FishFans treat the loss of Ricky Williams like it's nothing. Wake up and smell the rotting marine mammals on the beach, boys! RW is the dominant RB in the AFCE. The 1-2 punch of RW and RB last year enabled the Fish to have a dominant run game and take the pressure off the QB. They don't have that any more. The combo of RW and RB could have enabled Miami to survive having Joey Harrington as their starter for the first part of the season. Without RW, if Joey starts the first four games of the season, Miami will be lucky to go 2-2. If Ronnie Brown goes down for the season or a significant part of it, then it's 2004 redux, no matter who Miami has at QB.

As for the Bills, keep listening to the talking heads and media mavens. The Bills won't challenge for the division because they'll have a lot of growing pains, especially on defense, early in the season. However, two or three rookies might be starting come November, and if that D gets in gear, the Bills will play spoiler -- and the Felons have to take a little trip North to their favorite chamber of horrors in their favorite month of the season!!! Remember the last time the Felons played in the Ralph in December? The crowd serenaded the hapless Fishes with choruses of "Let it Snow" as the lake storm rolled in and Jim Kelly stood on the sidelines leading the song! :sidelol:

The Pats won 10 games while defying an injury plague that had them using WRs as DBs in some situations in a couple of games!!! With as many injuries as the Patsies had last year, most other teams would have limped home 6-10 or 7-9. None of the rest of the AFC East teams are even close enough to challenge unless Brady goes down for the season.

Why would most teams have finished 6-10 or 7-9? All teams have to deal with injuries during the coarse of the season, and the Pats are no exception. You need depth in the NFL, and the Pats did not have it. The Pats have also not done well in Free agency to improve their situation. They have actually lost more key starters. As for no other AFCE team being close to challenging the Pats, that is crazy. I do not believe that the Jets or Bills will be competing with the Pats, but I do think the Dolphins will. The Dolphins finished 9-7 last year, and have a much better team this year.

I cannot believe that so many FishFans treat the loss of Ricky Williams like it's nothing. Wake up and smell the rotting marine mammals on the beach, boys! RW is the dominant RB in the AFCE. The 1-2 punch of RW and RB last year enabled the Fish to have a dominant run game and take the pressure off the QB. They don't have that any more. The combo of RW and RB could have enabled Miami to survive having Joey Harrington as their starter for the first part of the season. Without RW, if Joey starts the first four games of the season, Miami will be lucky to go 2-2. If Ronnie Brown goes down for the season or a significant part of it, then it's 2004 redux, no matter who Miami has at QB.

The loss of Ricky was definitely a blow to the offense, but I believe that Ronnie Brown will be ready to handle the load. I also believe that you will see Saban pick up a quality backup to spell Ronnie. I do not think that Joey will have to start the first games of the season, but even if he does, I feel confident that we could go 3-1 with the teams that are on the schedule. As for Ronnnie going down to injury, we could play the “if” game all day.

As for the Bills, keep listening to the talking heads and media mavens. The Bills won't challenge for the division because they'll have a lot of growing pains, especially on defense, early in the season. However, two or three rookies might be starting come November, and if that D gets in gear, the Bills will play spoiler -- and the Felons have to take a little trip North to their favorite chamber of horrors in their favorite month of the season!!! Remember the last time the Felons played in the Ralph in December? The crowd serenaded the hapless Fishes with choruses of "Let it Snow" as the lake storm rolled in and Jim Kelly stood on the sidelines leading the song!
I don’t listen to the media when it comes to opinions on NFL teams, I have my own opinions, and I am confident that the Bills will not be competing for a division title next year. No offense, but that is just my opinion.

The last time the Phins played in Buffalo in Dec. was in 2003. The Dolphins beat the Bills 20-3

The New Guy said:
Why would most teams have finished 6-10 or 7-9? All teams have to deal with injuries during the coarse of the season, and the Pats are no exception. You need depth in the NFL, and the Pats did not have it. The Pats have also not done well in Free agency to improve their situation. They have actually lost more key starters. As for no other AFCE team being close to challenging the Pats, that is crazy. I do not believe that the Jets or Bills will be competing with the Pats, but I do think the Dolphins will. The Dolphins finished 9-7 last year, and have a much better team this year.

The loss of Ricky was definitely a blow to the offense, but I believe that Ronnie Brown will be ready to handle the load. I also believe that you will see Saban pick up a quality backup to spell Ronnie. I do not think that Joey will have to start the first games of the season, but even if he does, I feel confident that we could go 3-1 with the teams that are on the schedule. As for Ronnnie going down to injury, we could play the “if†game all day.

I don’t listen to the media when it comes to opinions on NFL teams, I have my own opinions, and I am confident that the Bills will not be competing for a division title next year. No offense, but that is just my opinion.

The last time the Phins played in Buffalo in Dec. was in 2003. The Dolphins beat the Bills 20-3

Well, there's injuries, and then theres INJURIES. For the 3rd year in a row, the Pats set records for the number of different starters they fielded due to injury. (41, 42 & 44 respectively). Other teams have suffered as badly, but none ever put together a winning season, let alone won super bowls.

The Pats are all about quality depth. They went thru 5 starting RB's last year, including two guys who started less than a week after they joined the team (Zeroue and Evans).

They had six DBs on IR by November last year. Just how many do you think teams carry?

No team in the NFL has the depth the Pats do. While their FA pickups may not be flashy, they're solid (last year being the exception to the rule - Starks was B A D!). This year they've picked up Warfield (8yr starting CB), Jones (8 yr starting safety), Mitchell, ST demon & depth at LB), Caldwell, who may step up after getting out of Marty World.

With the rookies they added, this team is better than last years. It remains to be seen if they can remain healthy though. I'm beginning to think they are jinxed.

3/5ths of their OL (LT, C, & RT) were out for the season by November.

I saved this thread in favorites so halfway through the season I can bump it up and laugh in Dolphins fans faces. My money says the Dolphins won't even make the playoffs let alone come close to winning the AFCE. The Dolphins were 8-8 realistically. The Patriots gave the final game away and the Dolphins barely beat the 3rd stringers in an obviously thrown away game at the end. Cassell tossed the ball 10 feet over the open WR's head just to make it look good, LMAO. Nobody in NE is even feeling the least bit threatened by the Dolphins. I find it very funny personally.

Reality will set in for you guys once again when the games are played and actually count.

Tailgater said:
Well, there's injuries, and then theres INJURIES. For the 3rd year in a row, the Pats set records for the number of different starters they fielded due to injury. (41, 42 & 44 respectively). Other teams have suffered as badly, but none ever put together a winning season, let alone won super bowls.

The Pats are all about quality depth. They went thru 5 starting RB's last year, including two guys who started less than a week after they joined the team (Zeroue and Evans).

They had six DBs on IR by November last year. Just how many do you think teams carry?

No team in the NFL has the depth the Pats do. While their FA pickups may not be flashy, they're solid (last year being the exception to the rule - Starks was B A D!). This year they've picked up Warfield (8yr starting CB), Jones (8 yr starting safety), Mitchell, ST demon & depth at LB), Caldwell, who may step up after getting out of Marty World.

With the rookies they added, this team is better than last years. It remains to be seen if they can remain healthy though. I'm beginning to think they are jinxed.

3/5ths of their OL (LT, C, & RT) were out for the season by November.

:foundout:

I knew the Pats had key injuries, but was not aware that the Pats had that many injuries last season. I may have been wrong when I said they did not have depth. My opinion about this upcoming season has not changed though. The Pats have lost a lot of starting talent and depth this offseason. The Pats did do well in the draft, but I don’t think you can expect rookies to come and replace starters right away. The Dolphnis have lacked a quality QB since Marino retired, and that is what has been holding them back the past 6 years. I really believe that the Dolphins are going to win the division this year. No disrespect to the Pats. They have been the best team in football for the last few years, but I believe their run is over.

MrTibbs said:
I saved this thread in favorites so halfway through the season I can bump it up and laugh in Dolphins fans faces. My money says the Dolphins won't even make the playoffs let alone come close to winning the AFCE. The Dolphins were 8-8 realistically. The Patriots gave the final game away and the Dolphins barely beat the 3rd stringers in an obviously thrown away game at the end. Cassell tossed the ball 10 feet over the open WR's head just to make it look good, LMAO. Nobody in NE is even feeling the least bit threatened by the Dolphins. I find it very funny personally.

Reality will set in for you guys once again when the games are played and actually count.

I am not saying that the Pats can not compete for the division title, (as I think it will come down to the last few games of the season) but I think the Dolphins will win it this year. This year’s team is a lot better than last years, and we won 9 games with Frerotte at QB. I find it hard to believe that no Pats fans feel threatened by the Dolphins. If I was a Pats fan, I would. Feel free to bring the thread back up mid way through the season. I am willing to stand by anything I have said in this thread. I have a feeling though, that this thread will not be brought back up.

The pats fans are so used to winning they don't even want to look over there shoulder. That might be good for us. Keep thinking we won't be a problem. Keep thinking Culpepper won't be around till MIddle of the year. Keep thinking Ronnie will get hurt. All it does is let us sneak up on you more and more.

The New Guy said:
I am not saying that the Pats can not compete for the division title, (as I think it will come down to the last few games of the season) but I think the Dolphins will win it this year. This year’s team is a lot better than last years, and we won 9 games with Frerotte at QB. I find it hard to believe that no Pats fans feel threatened by the Dolphins. If I was a Pats fan, I would. Feel free to bring the thread back up mid way through the season. I am willing to stand by anything I have said in this thread. I have a feeling though, that this thread will not be brought back up.

This year's Dolphins team is significantly better than the 2005 team only at the QB position -- if Culpepper can play most of the season and approach his 2004 level (I don't rate JH as an upgrade over anybody but Feeley). The running game is not nearly as good without Ricky. The defense is marginally better -- and still old. That secondary is the "weakest link", although Jason Allen will eventually shore it up. I don't think Miami will be ready to challenge the Pats if the Pats stay healthy.

The New Guy said:

I don't think the Bills will, either. They're a young team with a new coaching staff, a completely new defensive strategy (amen!), and a young QB to groom. How many games they win this season has a lot to do with how fast they can master all that plus learn how to win close games, hold leads, win on the road, etc. I see them winning 6 to 9 games, most toward the end of the season when they've become more familiar with their new defensive schemes, the youngsters have a little experience, and the team has most of its home games. I think that Donte Whitner starts by the season opener, John McCargo sees lots of PT in the DT rotation from the start of the season, Willis McGahee runs and runs, and JP Losman shows why he was a #1 draft choice. I think that the Bills will play spoiler in the AFCE.

The New Guy said:

mea culpa. It was the December, 2002, game.

Back
Top Bottom