Pauline: Sources Fins Want Georgia Lb Smith At 11 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pauline: Sources Fins Want Georgia Lb Smith At 11

There's a rumor on Bleacher Report that Mayfield to the Jets is a done deal take it for what it's worth.

I LOVE hearing this, Smith is a stud & I like Vander Esch a lot. Would prefer to wait on a QB till 3rd or 4th rd.

“If the Miami Dolphins don’t move up for a quarterback, sources tell me the player they really want is Roquan Smith. But will Smith be available when the team is called to the clock? In our recent mock draft, we have the Oakland Raiders selecting Smith with the pick immediately preceding the Dolphins’ selection.

If that happens, I’m told linebacker Leighton Vander Esch will be a consideration for the Dolphins if they can’t get a quarterback and both Smith and Tremaine Edmunds are off the board”

http://draftanalyst.com/nfl-draft-news-notes-april-18
Word is Gruden loves Edmunds and if he is there, the Raiders will scoop him up fast.

I have not seen any mocks or anything even resembling Vander Esch as a #11 pick or even a top 15 pick

Pauline reported last week that LVE would be taken in the top 20 & not far behind Roquan & Edmunds.

LOL, nope. The 4th best & barely a first round talent. He's afraid to run the 40, that speaks volumes about his character & calls into question his athletic ability.

Ahh so a test in his underwear means more to you than on field play. That says all I need to know about your evaluations

0 chance we're moving up for a QB which means the whole story is bunk.

Edmunds, Smith, Vander Esch, or Fitz in the 1st.

TE in the 2nd.

Then I’m happy.
This but swap LVE with Derwin James who I'd put ahead of Fitzpatrick.

LVE is a nice trade down target, but he's a reach at 11, IMO. I'd still take him over Vita Vea.

Ahh so a test in his underwear means more to you than on field play. That says all I need to know about your evaluations

Timing numbers mean something, if they didn't there wouldn't be a Combine/pro days & guys like Arizona's Scooby Wright would have been a top 5 pick a couple years ago & colossal bust. You need the entire picture to make an educated evaluation & not a half assed one.

In their presser, T-Baum and Grier indicated the two biggest needs were linebacker and corner. That means it's not one of those in the first round. Probably either quarterback or defensive tackle. Then again, maybe they are telling the truth. Do we really know this time of year?

One thing is pretty clear with Miami. The needs are pretty obvious....LB, DT, TE, Backup QB, RB to complement Drake, FS. I could see the team jump for a shutdown corner too even though the team has talent there.
There are a lot of smokescreens this time of year. I'm with you though, to me, it looks like our biggest needs are DT and TE.

While we can always use a LB, I'm high on Raekwon McMillan as our Mike, and we're committed to Kiko, who has proven durable here in Miami. So that means our only starting LB spot open would be Sam, and Roquan is a Will, so I have a hard time believing he is our major target. I guess he could be, but this feels like a smokescreen to me.

FS would sure be nice, but they've been playing interchangeable SS's for a while, so I guess I'm on the "believe it when I see it" bandwagon, although I would love to have a balhawking FS. RB is another need, but slightly less of a need since we added Gore. Backup QB is a need, but I doubt we target a QB in the 1st unless it's a starter to supplant Tannehill, which I don't see us doing.

So, My guess is that we'll probably draft a DT in the first round and a TE in round 2 or 3. Pure speculation on my part though.

Timing numbers mean something, if they didn't there wouldn't be a Combine/pro days & guys like Arizona's Scooby Wright would have been a top 5 pick a couple years ago & colossal bust. You need the entire picture to make an educated evaluation & not a half assed one.

So now you're comparing Scooby Wright and Rashaan Evans? LOL

People overreact about the combine every year. The tape between Evans and Edmunds isn't comparable. One of them shows a guy who is often lost. Another shows a guy who frequently knows where to be and can disrupt at the point of attack. I'll let you figure out which is which.

Assuming we remain at 11, I'm expecting the pick to be Fitzpatrick. If he is not there, then James. If he is not there, then Vea.

At this time, I fully expect TannenGrier to move back, saying how they needed an extra pick to round out the team.
And of course, whoever picks at 11 will have a stud for the next ten years.

Back
Top Bottom