Pauline: Sources Fins Want Georgia Lb Smith At 11 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pauline: Sources Fins Want Georgia Lb Smith At 11

So now you're comparing Scooby Wright and Rashaan Evans? LOL

People overreact about the combine every year. The tape between Evans and Edmunds isn't comparable. One of them shows a guy who is often lost. Another shows a guy who frequently knows where to be and can disrupt at the point of attack. I'll let you figure out which is which.

Smith and LVE posted more solo tackles in 2017 than Evans totaled in four years. Jefferson posted just five less. It's fun to watch Evans wrestle with OL, but he's not the athlete that Smith, LVE, Edmunds, or Jefferson are, and his ability to find the ball should be in question - far below any of those players (not even in their neighborhood). His best trait is rushing off the edge, but he's 6'1 232.

Speed is incredibly important for the modern NFL LB, and, particularly with Evans' poor jumps, it's concerning that he didn't run. When talking about transition, Evans doesn't project like the top LB's in this class. He's the smallest, slowest, least-athletic, least-instinctive of the LB's being talked about in the 1st or 2nd. It'd be a small miracle for him to overcome that and produce a better career than any of them.

There are a lot of smokescreens this time of year. I'm with you though, to me, it looks like our biggest needs are DT and TE.

While we can always use a LB, I'm high on Raekwon McMillan as our Mike, and we're committed to Kiko, who has proven durable here in Miami. So that means our only starting LB spot open would be Sam, and Roquan is a Will, so I have a hard time believing he is our major target. I guess he could be, but this feels like a smokescreen to me.

FS would sure be nice, but they've been playing interchangeable SS's for a while, so I guess I'm on the "believe it when I see it" bandwagon, although I would love to have a balhawking FS. RB is another need, but slightly less of a need since we added Gore. Backup QB is a need, but I doubt we target a QB in the 1st unless it's a starter to supplant Tannehill, which I don't see us doing.

So, My guess is that we'll probably draft a DT in the first round and a TE in round 2 or 3. Pure speculation on my part though.
Kiko needs to be moved out of Will. Try him at Sam and go with Roquan at Will.

Kiko needs to be moved out of Will. Try him at Sam and go with Roquan at Will.
Kiko is either a Will or a Mike, but he is no Sam. The Sam needs to be stronger than any of Raekwon, Kiko or Roquan are. There is a reason the Sam tends to be the guy they take out 60% of the time ... they are strong run defenders but usually a liability in coverage. They need to be able to handle power, pulling OL, and TE's in the run game. Every one of these guys is light and movable in the run game. It would be like lining Wake up at DT.

The more I watch Edmunds, the more I want Smith.

We have too great a need at LB to gamble on "potential" and "ceiling."

Give me the guy who is an instinctive stud right now.

It has to be either Smith, James or Fitzpatrick if we stay put at 11.

Kiko is either a Will or a Mike, but he is no Sam. The Sam needs to be stronger than any of Raekwon, Kiko or Roquan are. There is a reason the Sam tends to be the guy they take out 60% of the time ... they are strong run defenders but usually a liability in coverage. They need to be able to handle power, pulling OL, and TE's in the run game. Every one of these guys is light and movable in the run game. It would be like lining Wake up at DT.
I get that Kiko is not a protypical Sam. But in all honesty, none of our LBs fit the protypical S/M/W definitions. All I know is Kiko was absolute crap at Will. If he plays one down there next year our coaches aren't doing their jobs. I want to land a Will in this draft. Put McMillian at Mike. That leaves Sam. I would be open to McMillian at Sam and Kiko in the middle but need to see it pre season to see if it works.

If you put Kiko at SAM, the Fins will break records, and I dont mean that in a good way...

I get that Kiko is not a protypical Sam. But in all honesty, none of our LBs fit the protypical S/M/W definitions. All I know is Kiko was absolute crap at Will. If he plays one down there next year our coaches aren't doing their jobs. I want to land a Will in this draft. Put McMillian at Mike. That leaves Sam. I would be open to McMillian at Sam and Kiko in the middle but need to see it pre season to see if it works.
This is why I want to draft two linebackers. One in the first two days, and another the fourth round. I don't want Kiko on this team next year. We need a guy who can start now, and another who can replace him next year.

This is why I want to draft two linebackers. One in the first two days, and another the fourth round. I don't want Kiko on this team next year. We need a guy who can start now, and another who can replace him next year.
I completely agree. My ultimate draft has us doubling up at LB and a TE. Although if it can only be 1 position it's LB.

McMillan is a pure Mike, he was drafted to be a Mike, and I'll be shocked if they play him anywhere but Mike. I do agree that he is probably better suited to play Sam than Kiko or Roquan, but that's like saying Shaq is better suited for Point Guard than Laremy Tunsil ... neither is suited for it.

Back
Top Bottom