PBP: Deep dive: Inside Miami Dolphins’ shrewd trade for Kiko Alonso, Byron Maxwell | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PBP: Deep dive: Inside Miami Dolphins’ shrewd trade for Kiko Alonso, Byron Maxwell

CRAZYDOLFAN305

We Are Still Going To The SB
Reaction score
Deep dive: Inside Miami Dolphins’ shrewd trade for Kiko Alonso, Byron Maxwell

At the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis at the end of February, Eagles Executive Vice President Howie Roseman (who had regained personnel control) was plotting to move as high up from No. 13 in the draft as he could, targeting a quarterback.
Roseman approached Dolphins executive Vice President Mike Tannenbaum, whom he had long known. Tannenbaum held the No. 8 pick and a dialogue about what player contracts the Eagles might be willing to move began.
The Dolphins needed to get faster and more athletic at middle linebacker. Miami had seen opposing offenses spread them out. Miami felt Alonso could be a three-down middle linebacker, not entirely common.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/11/26/deep-dive-inside-miami-dolphins-shrewd-trade-for-kiko-alonso-byron-maxwell/

As any NFL executive will tell you, it takes at least two or three years to entirely assess a transaction such as a trade.But appraising now, 10 games into this season, a move the Dolphins made nearly nine months ago, it appears the acquisition of linebacker Kiko Alonso and cornerback Byron Maxwell was an astute one.

The Dolphins are exceeding expectations, both as a team (6-4 and in the AFC playoff picture) and as a defense (14th overall, 8th against the pass and 1st on third downs.)

“I think it’s awesome,” Maxwell said. “We are both contributing. We are a both a major part of the defense. We are both doing well. We are both getting a second chance and making the most of it.”

Before last season, then-Eagles coach/executive Chip Kelly traded for Alonso (LeSean McCoy was in the deal) and signed Maxwell to a 6-year, $63 million contract, including $25 million guaranteed.

Kelly was fired by the Eagles after a disappointing season and now coaches the 49ers, who play at Miami on Sunday at 1 p.m.

At the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis at the end of February, Eagles Executive Vice President Howie Roseman (who had regained personnel control) was plotting to move as high up from No. 13 in the draft as he could, targeting a quarterback.

Roseman approached Dolphins executive Vice President Mike Tannenbaum, whom he had long known. Tannenbaum held the No. 8 pick and a dialogue about what player contracts the Eagles might be willing to move began.

The Dolphins needed to get faster and more athletic at middle linebacker. Miami had seen opposing offenses spread them out. Miami felt Alonso could be a three-down middle linebacker, not entirely common.

The Dolphins also felt a need to get bigger at cornerback. The Dolphins closely studied Maxwell’s Seattle tape (where he had started two Super Bowls and played well).

Miami thought Maxwell would be a good match for the taller receivers in the AFC East, had long arms and physicality and would be a strong fit in defensive coordinator Vance Joseph’s system.

But health. And contracts.

Some criticized Miami for pulling a deal in which they moved down from No. 8 to No. 13 (who might they miss a chance to draft?) while also taking on a player coming off two knee injuries (Alonso) and what was perceived to be an unwieldy contract (Maxwell).

The Dolphins viewed things differently. They saw opportunity.

Miami’s analytics department could not have known that offensive lineman Laremy Tunsil (among the top two players on their draft board) would fortuitously fall to 13. But their extensive research forecast a similar cluster of players at 13 or 8.

Perhaps a cornerback such as Vernon Hargreaves or Eli Apple. Or perhaps defensive end Joey Bosa (also among the top two players on their draft board) or running back Ezekiel Elliott would fall.

It turns out the Dolphins would have taken Tunsil at No. 8. And if necessary, Miami was prepared to move back again.
As for the contracts.

Miami looked at the parameters of free-agent cornerback deals that were about to be signed by former Dolphin Sean Smith (Raiders: 4 years, $38 million) and Janoris Jenkins (Giants: 5 years, $62.5 million) and felt Maxwell’s deal was not cost prohibitive.

In fact, Miami saw value in Maxwell’s deal, which could, if necessary, be shortened to two-years, $17 million, because of front-loaded guarantees. Any future criticism of Maxwell’s performance will undoubtedly mention his contract.

But he’s not being paid like Darrelle Revis. Maxwell has the 15th-highest cornerback salary cap hit this season.

As for Alonso, currently 7th in the AFC with 79 tackles, he is in the fourth year of a rookie deal which pays $991,418 this season.

Alonso is the 28th-highest paid Dolphin and 55th-high paid inside linebacker in the NFL, according to spotrac.com.

While many have believed Alonso is an unrestricted free agent after this season, he is actually a restricted free agent. This is because Alonso lost one accrued season of NFL experience when he was injured training away from an NFL football facility.

It would behoove the Dolphins to explore a long-term deal with Alonso after the season. But they could also offer Alonso a one-year deal worth approximately $1.8 million.

A large offer sheet from another club would seem unlikely, due to the NFL rule stating Miami would receive a second-round draft choice in return.

So, basically, Miami could have Maxwell and Alonso under contractual control for at least two seasons, at what they would consider reasonable rates.

More at LINK: http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...s-shrewd-trade-for-kiko-alonso-byron-maxwell/

Your thoughts? :ponder:

Didn't see this link was already posted. Please MERGE. SORRY.

Really disliked this move when they made it...but then we get Tunsil (felt a little better)...then Kiko and Byron started playing well (felt even better).

If they can finish the year without any major health problems, or falling off a cliff in play, then you'd have to say it was a fantastic trade.

Really disliked this move when they made it...but then we get Tunsil (felt a little better)...then Kiko and Byron started playing well (felt even better).

If they can finish the year without any major health problems, or falling off a cliff in play, then you'd have to say it was a fantastic trade.

It's already a great trade, our best cornerback, best linebacker, and future probable pro bowl left tackle were landed in one trade that cost us nothing.

That's a hell of a trade...

This trade was ridiculed but it worked out for us because we got Tunsil.
Kiko is servicable.

I was in the minority in liking this trade. I wasn't a huge fan of Maxwell (and now I'm definitely not), but I liked getting two starters that would contribute immediately. Especially Alonso. Plus we got Tunsil from it so overall it turned to be a good trade. It was a bit of a gamble though. I understood why people didn't like it, but one trade brought us 3 starters.

Did not like the trade at the time but it has worked out in our favor.
First we got lucky that Tunsil fell in the draft to us.
Second Kiko finally got healthy and has played well.
Third Maxwell played pretty poorly but IMO has improved a bit.
Soo I am not big on giving the front office alot of credit for getting lucky but I am happy they did. We moved around and reached up alot in the draft and the only full time starter is Tunsil, Howard is on IR, Starks parttime, Caroo is invisible, Drake a kick returner. The coaches are making this happen and thst I am very pleased with.

Hated the trade in terms of draft value player value wise to date its worked out in our favor as soon as we get out from maxwells money this offseason

Which should be first thing on the to do list

We got lucky that Kiko has worked out and that Tunsil fell. Lucky is the word. I'll take it - but it wasn't some SHREWD move - it was luck that Tunsil fell. Kiko's playing well and will get paid beyond his performance... Maxwell is already getting paid WELL BEYOND his performance. Tunsil is the key to all of this - which we got out of luck. Anyways, I'm not complaining.

You guys kill me with the we got lucky BS....anything to justify your absolute wrong position on the trade. Just admit you were WRONG and eat your plate of crow. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do agree with the sentiments that the rams game was maxwells best one to date overall..but i think it also has to be stated we were facing a rookie first game starter at qb who right now isnt ready to really test the boundary and the first td from the rams on the run gave up a ghastly 25 yard in cut pass gain like the play prior

Anyways kiko at only a 2nd round tender i wouldnt risk...id go with the first and guarantee his return

The fact they got tunsil trained to play a solid left tackle and left guard the way they did is highly impressive

You guys kill me with the we got lucky BS....anything to justify your absolute wrong position on the trade. Just admit you were WRONG and eat your plate of crow. Simple.

I don't think anyone thinks Maxwell has justified his contract while here. He has filled a need though with our rookie CB going down. Overall, the trade has worked out very well for us FOR SURE but the key to it all is really getting Tunsil at 13 - which was definitely lucky. Not complaining, you need to relax though.

I don't think anyone thinks Maxwell has justified his contract while here. He has filled a need though with our rookie CB going down. Overall, the trade has worked out very well for us FOR SURE but the key to it all is really getting Tunsil at 13 - which was definitely lucky. Not complaining, you need to relax though.

Tunsil falling was lucky. The trade was not lucky. I'm lol at you telling me what I need to do.

Back
Top Bottom