PBP: Deep dive: Inside Miami Dolphins’ shrewd trade for Kiko Alonso, Byron Maxwell | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PBP: Deep dive: Inside Miami Dolphins’ shrewd trade for Kiko Alonso, Byron Maxwell

We got two long term starters in Kiki and Tunsil. Even if Maxwell doesn't pan out the trade was worth it

People have gotta save the lucky talk. The trade filled two holes with players that had risks attached to them. Kiko has been key and has returned to his rookie year form now that he's fully healthy. Maxwell has been coming around to the point I'm not sure if he's an automatic cut next offseason. People seem to think we got luckiest with the Tunsil situation. Well lets say he doesn't slide. Maybe Conklin gets pushed down. Maybe they draft Myles Jack. There was plenty of value on the board at that pick, so their view that the value between 8 and 13 wasn't much different was accurate.

Loved this trade from the start...great value on a team with plenty of holes to fill.

Tunsil falling cemented it as a great move....regardless of why or how he fell.

I don't think anyone thinks Maxwell has justified his contract while here. He has filled a need though with our rookie CB going down. Overall, the trade has worked out very well for us FOR SURE but the key to it all is really getting Tunsil at 13 - which was definitely lucky. Not complaining, you need to relax though.

What big contract? The big bonus was paid by Philly. His contract for a press corner is pretty good for today's NFL.

You guys make it sound like he gets lite up weekly which is hardly the case.

Even grimes got close to 7 mill per during then off season, and that's with the miko baggage. I'd take Maxwell over him all day.

Why do people keep saying we got tunsill from the trade? We would have gotten tunsill whether we did the trade or not.
And we did get lucky in a way.....just imagine if tunsill went in rounds 8 - 12 as he should have done....then the trade would have cost us Tunsill....and have been viewed as a disaster by many!

You guys kill me with the we got lucky BS....anything to justify your absolute wrong position on the trade. Just admit you were WRONG and eat your plate of crow. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must have missed the part where it was confirmed that Tannenbaum was the one who leaked those gas mask photos. Or the part where our CBs started doing anything besides mugging the WRs and hoping the zebras get tired of calling PI against them. Kiko is the only bright spot in the trade.

I think those that were hoping for VHIII or Eli Apple were most vocal about dropping 5 spots claiming it wasnt worth the value. Said it then and now, it was a good trade and I'll credit Tannenbaum on it. Gaining 3 starters and drafting what looks like a sure fire hit in X Howard in the second shaped a pretty good off season. But that Caroo trade. Ugh

We got lucky that Kiko has worked out and that Tunsil fell. Lucky is the word. I'll take it - but it wasn't some SHREWD move - it was luck that Tunsil fell. Kiko's playing well and will get paid beyond his performance... Maxwell is already getting paid WELL BEYOND his performance. Tunsil is the key to all of this - which we got out of luck. Anyways, I'm not complaining.

While it is true Miami was lucky Tunsil fell, it is also true Miami could have passed like 12 other teams. FO gets some credit for making the pick. Maxwell not so much.

People have gotta save the lucky talk. The trade filled two holes with players that had risks attached to them. Kiko has been key and has returned to his rookie year form now that he's fully healthy. Maxwell has been coming around to the point I'm not sure if he's an automatic cut next offseason. People seem to think we got luckiest with the Tunsil situation. Well lets say he doesn't slide. Maybe Conklin gets pushed down. Maybe they draft Myles Jack. There was plenty of value on the board at that pick, so their view that the value between 8 and 13 wasn't much different was accurate.

People worrying about Tunsil and Maxwell too much . . . the biggest key to this trade was having an RFA status on Kiko for year 2. Absolutely huge. Absolutely agree with hoops on the first round tender, and honestly, need to start working on that extension and getting that taken care of during the offseason.

And you are right, Maxwell is not an automatic cut next year . . . after next year, sure, but with some guaranteed money still owed in 2017, he could stick around and it wouldn't be a bad thing as our CB depth still needs another year of infusing talent to the group. That is a paper thin unit with Maxwell on it, talk of cutting guys need to be tempered.

Tannenbaum had balls to make the move and you have to give him credit . . . if Kiko was hurt, our first round pick was a bust and Maxwell was a complete waste . . . he would be getting crucified, but Tunsil has been solid, Kiko has been essential and Maxwell can go up against a big #1 and hold his own.

home run trade if you ask me.

Ok. This is the one post where I am getting on the soapbox. This trade has always been a fantastic trade. It take zero time to check the atta boy box. It is simple statistics. The quality of the players traded makes no difference as long as they check the boxes.

First, I reviewed six posts about the success rate of finding starters in the first round. The success rate ranges between 56% to 63%.

Second, all a player has to do to check the box is to be a starting quality player. He should not be a backup. No one that is fair would call either Maxwell or Alonso a backup.

The bottom line is that we received 2 starters plus a 56% to 63% of drafting starter for a 56% to 63% chance of drafting a starter. THIS IS THE EASIEST DECISION ANY GM MAKES. IT IS A NO BRAINER!!!

Miami benefited from Tunsil's fall. There's little question about that, but it helps to look at the types of players you can expect in the 11-15 range.

2010: Anthony Davis, Brandon Graham, Earl Thomas, and JPP
2011: JJ Watt, Robert Quinn, Mike Pouncey
2012: Dontari Poe, Fletcher Cox, Michael Brockers, Bruce Irvin
2013 (poor class): Sheldon Richardson, Star Lotulelei
2014: Taylor Lewan, Odell Beckham, Aaron Donald, Ryan Shazier
2015: DeVante Parker, Melvin Gordon

Very early to judge 2015, but the point is that there's precedent to landing All Pro talent in that range.

At this point, I'm tired of talking about Maxwell, but Kiko was a MUCH needed addition. With some shrewd drafting in 2017, the D has a chance to take it to the next level.

I must have missed the part where it was confirmed that Tannenbaum was the one who leaked those gas mask photos. Or the part where our CBs started doing anything besides mugging the WRs and hoping the zebras get tired of calling PI against them. Kiko is the only bright spot in the trade.

Yeah clearly you are missing a lot....like where Maxwell is damn near shutting down his assignment every week. And where our pass defense is currently ranked 8th in the league WITHOUT Howard and Reshad.

Yup, you've been missing a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxwell sucked in Philly's scheme; Alonzo has been injured more than healthy; Tunsil fell into their laps, but I do give TBum credit for pulling the trigger on that one. High risk in terms of who we might have been targeting, medium reward. So it worked out pretty well, but in most decision making scenarios: high risk should yield high reward not counting Tunsil. Factor in the Caroo trade, especially with Matthews a proven commodity and having established a chemistry already with Tannehill, and demerits are in order for what I consider squandered picks.

Now the best move he made that was the least popular at the time was ironically the one I most approved of: and that was having the foresight to see Tannehill for what he could become and locking him up with a good escape clause built in.

Back
Top Bottom