Perception vs. Reality | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Perception vs. Reality

JackHammer said:
Now why would the papers have a negative tone? Can you say complete and utter underacheiving team that missed the playoffs the past two years. Can you say a team that has failed to deliver at the end of seasons for almost 10 years. Can you say Wanny whose name cannot be spoken in Chicago now doing the same thing in Miami. I need some of you guys to move to Iraq so you could put a positive spin on that situation. The papers are being realistic. The fans that are positive are being idealistic. We have not been a playoff team in two years and the positive fans think that there is nothing wrong. UGGH.

Dont worry, this board becomes very realistic around week 13. Wanny is good for that.

What do you consider realistic expectations? You seemed convinced that two years missing the playoffs (just barely missing I might add), is some soft of tragic situation. Take a look around the league. nflhistory.com is a nice site to checkout all kinds of info on teams. How many teams have made the playoffs every year over the last 4 years?

Your response is the negative junk that people are sick of. You did not provide one piece of info. Just a rant. You didn't attempt to refute a single point that I made. In fact, you missed the entire point of the post. The point wasn't whether the Dolphins have lived up to expectations over the last 4 years. THe point was that the media and some posters are acting like the changes this offseason are bigger than they are. I don't think that perception matches reality.

Why do you feel the need to submit rants?

Another positive post to heko to morale around here. It seems that A.J. from recent camp reports is starting to unwind a bit and get a little more comfortable then first set of camps. the QB battle will be settle preseason, competition brings out the player in the person.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
I'm finding it very humorous to read all of the posts and articles written about the unbelievable turmoil surrounding the Miami Dolphins. It is as though people actually think the things that are going on are so unusual in the NFL. While I agree that there have been some surprises, how much different is the net effect than what goes on with other teams every year.

1. Marino situation - They brought in Marino to file a newly created job called VP of Football Operations. Did anyone on this site question the fact that we didn't have anyone in that role before the job was created by Marino? Can anyone name the teams that have VPs of Football Operations and tell me who they are? What real impact did Marino's decision really have?

2. Coaches - Yes it has been wierd, but lets compare it to what happens every year to some teams in the NFL. Every year HCs get fired and entirely new staffs and philosophies are brought in. Hell some teams do it every 3 years. Often those given the chance at HC or coordinator are new to the job. Well in Miami, we have a new OC who is getting his first chance. Most of the rest of the coaching staff is the same. The exception is that we have upgraded our WRs coach and brought in a very well respected QBs coach. How can this seem worse that what happens on 5 or 6 teams every year?

3. GM search - They interviewed a bunch of guys and decided to stick with someone they already know. I am happy with the situation. I know Randy Mueller and a few others were popular with some of the fans, but what has Randy Mueller accomplished in his career? Why aren't other teams beating down the door for him? He has been available for a couple of years. I'm optimistic that Rick will be just fine. Quick, when did each of the GMs we considered get the first GM position? Was the team that gave them their chance in disarray?

4. OL - We needed an overhaul and we got one. Now people are complaining? Wade Smith coming back was a nobrainer. Jeno James looks like the real deal. I think McKinney outperformed Ruddy last year. We made the move necessary to get a top RT/RG prospect in the draft. It is hillarious that one year after complaining that we didn't move up in the draft to select an OL prospect ("do whatever it takes" is what we heard over and over), people are complaining that we gave up a 4th round pick one year later to get the guy we wanted. By every analysis that I read, the dropoff in this years offensive tackle prospects was much bigger than last year. The only way the wailing would have been worse is if NE had jumped ahead of us and taken Carey. Can you imagine the outrage?

With the strategy that was used, we got both our future LT and RT. The biggest question on the OL is RG and I believe we have plenty of options to fill the spot. Does anyone actually believe that every team in the league has stars at every OL position? We also have more quality depth and a much younger roster than we have had in years.

5. David Boston - Give the guy a chance. He is already down 10 pounds from last year. He has already participated in more offseason programs that last year. One negative article (that was later retracted) is causing all kinds of concerns. He doesn't need to catch 100 passes to be worth the trade. I think he will be a great addition.

6. Ogunleye - I think he will sign before the start of the season. There is still plenty of time. The worst case scenario is an eventual trade.

7. QB situation - Only time will tell, but I think they have handled it well. I don't dislike Fiedler nearly as much as some other people do. I think Feeley will win the job but I wouldn't get dramatic if he doesn't. Its just hard for me to get all bent out of shape on this topic. The Fins have won too many games in the last four years to me to be too worried. I honestly believe that upgrades on the OL and WR and more versatility in the playbook is enough by itself to improve the offense. Improved play from the QB postion would just add to the mix. Does everybody realize that the Mighty NE Patriots averaged 2.3 pts per game more that the Fins last year? And in 2002 they scored 3 more points that the Fins?

Just my assessment. This thread was sparked by the idiotic article on ProFootballWekely.com.

Very impressive sugar coating.... :roflmao:

Do you have an extra pair of rosey colored glasses I can borrow until the season starts????...

1.) The Marino Fiasco - It's not that it hurt our team any, it was just a major embarrassment that's all. No real effect on the "team", just the front office...

2.) The Coaches - Well, I can't complain about something I haven't seen yet. I was very excited to have M. Trestman and J. Sullivan added. The uncertainty of a new unexperienced OC carries some major concern though. The guy has never been and OC, and when you've already got highly qualified coaches {Trestman / Sullivan } who could have been promoted instead, it seems strange of Wanny to pass on them for Foerster. IMO, this may be one of those "Wanny's Yes Man" situations. Something we're all too familiar with....

3.) The GM Search - I have to say that I was surprised we didn't bring in someone with a different perspective. Instead of adding a fresh, new, offensive minded GM, we stuck with the same old in R. Spielman. No complaining here. RS has done a very solid job thus far IMO. With his years of hard work and dedication, he deserved the position as well....

4.) The OL Overhaul - BRAVO!!! No complaints here either. This was something that HAD TO BE DONE. RS made sure this was the main focus this off-season, and although we missed out on a couple of studs {Woody / Tait}, we still did a very solid job of bringing in players. The depth right now is very solid IMO, and that's an area we've lacked every season under Wanny IMO. I'm happy with the way this is shaping up now, and for the future....

5.) WR D. Boston - Last week, I was calling this guy a mouse in elephants clothing. Today, I'm reserving judgment. I was highly excited when the news of DB playing in Miami was announced, and immediately, I was having visions of Chambers and Boston tearing up the NFL in 2004. Needless to say, we sometimes forget about the "person", and focus only on the "player". DB has serious troubles as a "person" IMO, but if he can push his ego aside, and play with a purpose, he can be an incredible "player" in the NFL. It's all up to him, so we'll see what he brings during TC, and then make a real assumption. One that is more accurate...

6.) O-GUN - I'm not the least bit worried about him. He'll get his contrcat sooner or later....with Miami. :D

7.) The QB Situation - In one word??....UGLY.

QB AJ Feeley is a nice "future option" at QB, but he's clearly not ready to lead a team as the starting QB IMO. Not this year at least. He looks exactly like what he is....a borderline 2nd / 3rd string QB. Give him a year or two, and he could be very solid, but right now, he's struggling quite a bit for someone who's suppose to beat out QB J. Fiedler this off-season.

This trade leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Basically because the first priority for GM RS was to find a better starting QB. I didn't want QB M. Brunell, and after I saw the contract he got, I'm very happy we didn't sign him. He would have been a waste IMO. The only other QB I really thought would have been an upgrade over JF was QB J. Garcia. He would have been a perfect fit IMO. He's mobile, he's a great leader, and he's got the accuracy Fiedler doesn't possess. Oh well, looks like it's Fielder in 2004!!....

I like J. Fiedler, but he's just too inconsistant to be a yearly starter in this league. His accuracy is very questionable too. I hope QB's coach M. Trestman can do for Jay what he did for R. Gannon in Oakland. It could happen, and the way Fiedler has looked thus far in mini-camp, he's been crisper, and his throws look stronger as well. Who knows, if Jay can stay healthy, we may finally have something.

As for Feeley, I don't expect him to beat out Fielder. He's way behind already, and it's still only May. Plus, Jay is Dave's boy, and now without Collier around, he'll be calling all of the offensive shots IMO....

I hope none of you take this post of mine as "negative". I'm trying to be as "realistic" as possible. :D

PHINZ RULE!!! :fire:

BLITZKRIEG said:

Do you have an extra pair of rosey colored glasses I can borrow until the season starts????...

1.) The Marino Fiasco - It's not that it hurt our team any, it was just a major embarrassment that's all. No real effect on the "team", just the front office...

2.) The Coaches - Well, I can't complain about something I haven't seen yet. I was very excited to have M. Trestman and J. Sullivan added. The uncertainty of a new unexperienced OC carries some major concern though. The guy has never been and OC, and when you've already got highly qualified coaches {Trestman / Sullivan } who could have been promoted instead, it seems strange of Wanny to pass on them for Foerster. IMO, this may be one of those "Wanny's Yes Man" situations. Something we're all too familiar with....

3.) The GM Search - I have to say that I was surprised we didn't bring in someone with a different perspective. Instead of adding a fresh, new, offensive minded GM, we stuck with the same old in R. Spielman. No complaining here. RS has done a very solid job thus far IMO. With his years of hard work and dedication, he deserved the position as well....

4.) The OL Overhaul - BRAVO!!! No complaints here either. This was something that HAD TO BE DONE. RS made sure this was the main focus this off-season, and although we missed out on a couple of studs {Woody / Tait}, we still did a very solid job of bringing in players. The depth right now is very solid IMO, and that's an area we've lacked every season under Wanny IMO. I'm happy with the way this is shaping up now, and for the future....

5.) WR D. Boston - Last week, I was calling this guy a mouse in elephants clothing. Today, I'm reserving judgment. I was highly excited when the news of DB playing in Miami was announced, and immediately, I was having visions of Chambers and Boston tearing up the NFL in 2004. Needless to say, we sometimes forget about the "person", and focus only on the "player". DB has serious troubles as a "person" IMO, but if he can push his ego aside, and play with a purpose, he can be an incredible "player" in the NFL. It's all up to him, so we'll see what he brings during TC, and then make a real assumption. One that is more accurate...

6.) O-GUN - I'm not the least bit worried about him. He'll get his contrcat sooner or later....with Miami. :D

QB AJ Feeley is a nice "future option" at QB, but he's clearly not ready to lead a team as the starting QB IMO. Not this year at least. He looks exactly like what he is....a borderline 2nd / 3rd string QB. Give him a year or two, and he could be very solid, but right now, he's struggling quite a bit for someone who's suppose to beat out QB J. Fiedler this off-season.

This trade leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Basically because the first priority for GM RS was to find a better starting QB. I didn't want QB M. Brunell, and after I saw the contract he got, I'm very happy we didn't sign him. He would have been a waste IMO. The only other QB I really thought would have been an upgrade over JF was QB J. Garcia. He would have been a perfect fit IMO. He's mobile, he's a great leader, and he's got the accuracy Fiedler doesn't possess. Oh well, looks like it's Fielder in 2004!!....

I like J. Fiedler, but he's just too inconsistant to be a yearly starter in this league. His accuracy is very questionable too. I hope QB's coach M. Trestman can do for Jay what he did for R. Gannon in Oakland. It could happen, and the way Fiedler has looked thus far in mini-camp, he's been crisper, and his throws look stronger as well. Who knows, if Jay can stay healthy, we may finally have something.

As for Feeley, I don't expect him to beat out Fielder. He's way behind already, and it's still only May. Plus, Jay is Dave's boy, and now without Collier around, he'll be calling all of the offensive shots IMO....

I hope none of you take this post of mine as "negative". I'm trying to be as "realistic" as possible. :D

Good post. I actually agree with most of what you said.
I am a little more optimsitc than you about Boston. I still believe he will have a really good season, especially with Sullivan around.
On the other hand, you are more optimsitc about the QB's. If in fact Feeley is not ready to start, I fear we will be right where we were the last couple of season. Struggling to make the playoffs, probably get in as wildcard and lose in the 1st round. I just can't see us going deep into the post-season with Feidler at the helm.............Hopefully I am wrong this time, but I haven't been about Feidler yet.

Mybe I need to get the funeral black suit and glasses to have the dark somber outlook many of you have. Maybe instead of tailgating we can have a wake for the fins before each game. Lets see where to start

1) Marino
we created a position for him because the owner is friends with him, he accepts and later recants, exactly what did teh fins do wrong? offering the job to someone else, to noone? They should have known Marino would change his mind, been a Miss Cleo as many of you are? Or is it you guys are just whiners?

2)Collier
We promoted him to OC because Turner left, we then brought in 2 respected coaches to coach qb and wr. Collier gets sick and decides it is too much for him to handle, our FO and HC feel we need Trestman and Sullivan in those positions as there they provide the most help and promote a guy respected within teh league. Where is teh fault of teh Fins? Once again Miss Cleo? Or are you conspiracy theorists?

Player discussionshave been beaten to death and wont discuss here. Wow Ricky got busted for mary-jane, lets cut him. Lets get to the root of the problem, self-proclaimed experts believe they know better than our owner and FO, and since they (mgmt) have diff ideas than these "experts", the FO and Owner should go? That about it?

Sarcastic? yeah. Unfortunate? Yeah. Just tryin to bring reality back in it for all of us. Noone likes that the FO and coaching things happened, but they did, thru what blunders by Mgmt I dont know since I was not involved in teh discussions. To say teh fins could have prevented these is unfair since you dont know the whole process, you presume. How does thsi prove we are gonna suk this year? Maybe it makes us stronger? Yes concerns abound, but that doesnt mean at every turn around every corner we need to predict doom and gloom.

I disagree with Garcia, here is why:

1) age, he is 35, short term solution.

2) He is a WCO style qb, can he really be effective outside it? Last year he wasnt.

3) Arm is not sign stronger than Jays.

4) durability at his age coming off a back injury is also a concern.

Yes AJ is young, But I do believe he can beat out Jay. One minicamp and he should have it nailed? Our expectations arent unrealistic are they? Now if he doesnt have it down by Sept, then no he shouldnt and wont beat out Jay.

BLITZKRIEG said:

I have agreed with most things in this whole thread.

I also agree with most of the things you wrote Blitz... EXCEPT for Garcia. I really think this guy is OVER-Rated. He did play well in SF, but had some real good WR's. On that note, TO always bickered that Garcia did not have the arm to throw deep. That sounds an AWFUL lot like what we have with Fiedler. I would not call him an upgrade.

I have never been a big fan of Fiedler, however I will say that he is not the worst starting QB out there. I personally do hope Feeley gets comfy in this system and shows what potential RS saw in him.

GO PHINS

rickeyrunsover said:
I disagree with Garcia, here is why:

1) age, he is 35, short term solution.

2) He is a WCO style qb, can he really be effective outside it? Last year he wasnt.

3) Arm is not sign stronger than Jays.

4) durability at his age coming off a back injury is also a concern.

Yes AJ is young, But I do believe he can beat out Jay. One minicamp and he should have it nailed? Our expectations arent unrealistic are they? Now if he doesnt have it down by Sept, then no he shouldnt and wont beat out Jay.

beat me to it Ricky... my thoughts exactly

BLITZKRIEG said:

This just might be the most puzzling reply that I have ever read. You claim that I was sugar coating and that I have rose colored glasses and then go on to agree with most everything I said. Very, very, strange....

1. You agreed the Marino situation didn't really hurt the team
2. You like the addition of Trestman and Sullivan.
3. You like the selection of RS as GM
4. You like the OL overhaul
5. You agree that we should wait and see about Boston
6. You're not worried about O-gun
7. You're at least hopeful about the QB situation

Maybe the sugar coating comment was in jest????

The "sugar coating comment" was just a joke really. I think you did a very good job overall, and I do agree with many of the things you stated...

PHINZ RULE!!! :cool:

BLITZKRIEG said:
The "sugar coating comment" was just a joke really. I think you did a very good job overall, and I do agree with many of the things you stated...

PHINZ RULE!!! :cool:

Okay you got me....good one
:up:

inFINSible said:
Can you say living in the past?
Can you say idiotic statement? I guess when Wanny gets fired and tries to get a new job as a waterboy in the NFLE he can tell the owner that he should be judged on what he is wearing that day, had for lunch that day, what he thinks he can do in the future. With your logic, not one NFL coach would have a resume to be hired on because "you cant live in the past" How else is anything judged?

Owner: Hi Dave
Dave: I want the job
Owner: What type of record do you have as a head coach?
Dave: Dont live in the past

FinfanInBuffalo said:
What do you consider realistic expectations? You seemed convinced that two years missing the playoffs (just barely missing I might add), is some soft of tragic situation. Take a look around the league. nflhistory.com is a nice site to checkout all kinds of info on teams. How many teams have made the playoffs every year over the last 4 years?

Your response is the negative junk that people are sick of. You did not provide one piece of info. Just a rant. You didn't attempt to refute a single point that I made. In fact, you missed the entire point of the post. The point wasn't whether the Dolphins have lived up to expectations over the last 4 years. THe point was that the media and some posters are acting like the changes this offseason are bigger than they are. I don't think that perception matches reality.

Why do you feel the need to submit rants?
I have an easy response: The Dolphins were not a playoff team in 2002. The Dolphins were not a playoff team in 2003. Under Wanny, the Dolphins have not advanced past the second round. In fact, The Dolphins have not advanced past the second round in 10 years. The Dolphins have failed miserably to finish seasons in December. You call that a negative outlook? I call that reality. :cooldude:

Teams that have advanced past the second round in the last 6 years: Atlanta, New York Giants, New York Jets, Ravens, Steelers, Chiefs, Titans, Colts, Broncos, Raiders, Rams, Eagles, Cardinals...the list goes on.....

No Dolphins on that list.

JackHammer said:
I have an easy response: The Dolphins were not a playoff team in 2002. The Dolphins were not a playoff team in 2003. Under Wanny, the Dolphins have not advanced past the second round. in fact, The Dolphins have not advanced past the second round in 10 years. The Dolphins have failed miserably to finish seasons in December. You call that a negative outlook? I call that reality. :cooldude:

Once again you fail to address the question - What are your expectations?

How often should the Dolphins make the playoffs? Advance to the SB? win the SB?

I don't have any misconceptions. I know they missed the playoffs the last two years. I also know that they make the playoffs more regularly than most teams. That is reality too.

And you still miss the point of the original post.....

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Once again you fail to address the question - What are your expectations?

How often should the Dolphins make the playoffs? Advance to the SB? win the SB?

I don't have any misconceptions. I know they missed the playoffs the last two years. I also know that they make the playoffs more regularly than most teams. That is reality too.

And you still miss the point of the original post.....
Look, if your happy with getting to second round twice every 10 years then getting bounced more power to you. If your happy going to the playoffs and getting bounced in the first round most of the time in the last ten years more power to you. If your happy telling other fans that it is not realistic to win titles.....then more power to you. I am not that type of fan. I believed the Marlins could win a world series. You can have your 10-6 first round exit if that makes you happy. With that acceptance, Wanny would have happy hour with you every friday. I wnt results and being a fan of the Dolphins lately has produced no results.

Back
Top Bottom