Perfect QB situation for Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Perfect QB situation for Miami

Canuck

Starter
Reaction score
And no I don't mean Peyton Manning being signed as a free agent. That's not perfect, that's completely out of the realm of possibility.

Much has been said of Brunell being signed as a free agent to start for us. I personally love the idea. He is physically more talented than Fiedler (who isn't) and can throw the deep ball reasonably well. My concern here is that he follows Coughlin to whereever he lands a HC job. Watch this situation closely because outside of Coughlin getting him, I think Miami offer the best situation for the aging Brunell at this point in his career.

Next, we draft a young QB to groom. This is a must however don't be surprised if we get the first part of this potential QB situation solved (signing Brunell), that we wait until next year to draft a QB. With no 2nd rounder, our 1st round pick will likely be used on more pressing immediate needs like WR and OL help. A trade down to the 2nd round to garner more picks AND still land Phillip Rivers would be great however. That is possible and would be a coup for the Fish.

#1 Brunell is to old. i would rather have Kitna, Couch, etc.. MB will be hurt midway through the season and we'll be back to square 1. might as well start jay if the dolphins are considering brunell.

#2 don't get your hopes up about having 2 first rounders. Ogun isn't going anywhere.

#3 miami can't draft a QB with 1 1st rounder. they're in need of an impact WR.

He never said anything about having two first rounders.

Why is he too old to start this year? I didn't realize we needed a future QB and to draft one. Gotta pick either or there. Brunell would be fine pickup. Anyone can get hurt, what's to say Couch wouldn't?

And you know O-Gun isn't going anywhere how?

Brunell is a quality QB. We have Sage or Feilder as a back up. Ogun is gone, we have to get under the cap and resign some new players so I don't think we can afford him. JP Losman and Rivers can go in the 1st, we have a first, so how can we not draft a QB in the first?

Brunell is not Bad. He would not be my first choice, but not a bad option. I think once our GM is named we will have an Idea of who the QB will be.

FA losses and signings will determine much of the draft needs. We already know we are drafting at the 20 spot (As usual too high to get immediate impact player and undesirable trade down spot.)

Brunell is still mobile enough (Unlike Griese) and has good arm strength. I also would like to see what Sage can or can't do before spending a high draft pick on a questionable prospect.

I doubt we will trade up far enough to get a Manning so we can pretty much forget that.

Whats the big deal with Couch...Did I miss something??? The guy has never impressed me...

Brunell would be a good fit

for various reasons least of which is he's a veteran and savvy QB whole most likely will be looking for a place to sign where he has a chance to win now. Sound like a place we know?

As far as Rivers goes, many of us are enamourned with him due to his collegiate career and intangibles but he is not one of the top 2-3 rated QB's in the draft so he not only should be there at our pick (20th) but possibly later. The combine and All Star games will have a lot to do with his final ranking and ultimately where he'll be drafted. I wouldn't be surprised to see him there in the early part of the 2nd round and with a 1-2 trade downs from the 20th pick, we could get much needed extra picks AND still get our QB of the future.

That sounds like a great QB situation to me.

Personally i think we really need to sign a vet QB and get an offensive lineman or wide receiver in the first round. QBs that go in the first are very hit or miss as most of the people that go in the first. But getting a vet QB is the best bet especially if everyone is depending on Sage to be the "future" QB. Why get another one? JUST my opinion of course.

A lot of people I talk to seem to think Couch would be a good fit in Miami.

I also mentioned the Kitna idea a little while back that everyone **** on. Why not? He had a great year. The big question is can he be consistent.....?

Ask yourself an honest question...if YOU were a Free Agent QB, would YOU want to play behind THIS O-line? Here's how the want ad might read...

"Are you a masochist looking for satisfaction? Do you get frequent flyer miles for hospital stays? Do you enjoy watching the action from the sidelines? If you answered yes to ANY of these questions than Miami has the job for YOU!!"

Originally posted by Blueprint_21
#1 Brunell is to old. i would rather have Kitna, Couch, etc.. MB will be hurt midway through the season and we'll be back to square 1. might as well start jay if the dolphins are considering brunell.

#2 don't get your hopes up about having 2 first rounders. Ogun isn't going anywhere.

#3 miami can't draft a QB with 1 1st rounder. they're in need of an impact WR.

1. If you accept that we NEED to draft a QB then we have a QB to step in IF he gets hurt. ANY QB we pull out of the FA this year will be a patch player for 2-3 years, and that's if they can cut it.

2. O-gun will be gone. This year is shallow in DE talent, he's only 2 years into the NFL and has the second most sacks in the AFC. You can't find a surer thing in the draft. Just because OUR team has a defense, doesn't mean other teams don't need him. He WILL be gone.

3. Impact WR? We have Chambers, McMichael, and Ricky. While I agree that we need a #2 receiver, that is NOT what is killing our passing game. Our passing game is hurting because we have no QB. how foolish would we look bringing in a top tier WR, when we have no QB to throw to him?

There are more pressing needs. Worst come to worst, we're with Chambers, Thomson (who picked it up at the end of the year), and OG, and you can throw Tolver in there to boot.

We have potential at WR, but we have little potential at QB. Not to mention the fact that it takes 2-3 years to groom a good QB, while we can pick a receiver or an OL up and expect them to walk on fairly easy.

OL and WR are necessities, but we NEED to get a QB to groom. It's this "we need a RB" or "we need an OL" or "we need a MLB or CB" kind of thinking that got us in this problem in the first place. Instead of drafting a rookie QB to groom behind marino, our franchise thought we were "one position away" from a super bowl. Well look where we are now. We're a few positions away from the SB, and we STILL have no QB. Look a year or two down the road, you can't live in the now.

I also believe Ogun will be gone. If we have 2 1st rounders, we should draft one offensive lineman and trade down the second 1st for a 2nd and a 4th rounder. With the 2nd rounder draft P Rivers. Now lets say we have 2 3rd rounders (if Ogun leaving), draft a wide receiver (this draft is the deepest the position has been in years so we can wait till this late to get someone) like Mike Jenkins and with other 3rd another o lineman. Hopefully, we can get 2 o line starters from the draft. With the 2 fourth rounders (from my mock trade down) , draft another o-lineman and a defensive end (to offset depth lost by Ogun). No 5th. 6th rounder draft best athlete with raw skills available (ex Jason Geathers). Dido also in the 7th round.;

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX
A lot of people I talk to seem to think Couch would be a good fit in Miami.

I also mentioned the Kitna idea a little while back that everyone **** on. Why not? He had a great year. The big question is can he be consistent.....?

One good year in not enough to make me comfortable. As for couch, I would love to see him in a fin uni, however the QB situation in Cleveland is too unsettled for them to trade either guy.

Back
Top Bottom