Perfect QB situation for Miami | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Perfect QB situation for Miami

Originally posted by Graythreat

1. If you accept that we NEED to draft a QB then we have a QB to step in IF he gets hurt. ANY QB we pull out of the FA this year will be a patch player for 2-3 years, and that's if they can cut it.

2. O-gun will be gone. This year is shallow in DE talent, he's only 2 years into the NFL and has the second most sacks in the AFC. You can't find a surer thing in the draft. Just because OUR team has a defense, doesn't mean other teams don't need him. He WILL be gone.

3. Impact WR? We have Chambers, McMichael, and Ricky. While I agree that we need a #2 receiver, that is NOT what is killing our passing game. Our passing game is hurting because we have no QB. how foolish would we look bringing in a top tier WR, when we have no QB to throw to him?

There are more pressing needs. Worst come to worst, we're with Chambers, Thomson (who picked it up at the end of the year), and OG, and you can throw Tolver in there to boot.

We have potential at WR, but we have little potential at QB. Not to mention the fact that it takes 2-3 years to groom a good QB, while we can pick a receiver or an OL up and expect them to walk on fairly easy.

OL and WR are necessities, but we NEED to get a QB to groom. It's this "we need a RB" or "we need an OL" or "we need a MLB or CB" kind of thinking that got us in this problem in the first place. Instead of drafting a rookie QB to groom behind marino, our franchise thought we were "one position away" from a super bowl. Well look where we are now. We're a few positions away from the SB, and we STILL have no QB. Look a year or two down the road, you can't live in the now.

I agree about the QB but would like a additional WR. The real issue with the receiving game is that we needed to leave McMike and others in to block compensating for a line that plays like swiss cheese. Combine two receivers in route with an inaccurate QB and you have an anemic passing game and a running game that suffers b/c of both the passing and blocking issues. The hous eof cards crumbles.
Although I must say I would have liked to have seen more deception in the playbook last year knowing that the blocking is crap at least try and fool them.

WR is a need... but if the Dolphins are in urgency mode, with a team designed to win now, then drafting a WR early does not make much sense. with very few excpetions, WR dont make much of an impact until their 3rd season. rookies who have seasons like Boldin are the exception. i like Steve Smith as a FA pickup to fill that need, if he isnt too pricy.

Marlin...No. Were not going to wait and take a WR in the later rounds like we did last year..look at Tolver...hes not starting potential we need Woods, Evans, or Mike Clayton. We can trade for a higher draft pick so i think its safe to say we will take care of our QB and WR in the 1st round, then from there on go for OLine.

BTW what the guy just above me said about how WRs dont make an impact until the 3rd season...Chambers made an impact immediately as soon as he came and hasnt changed since. He broke his past 2 season with 11 touchdowns 1 more than the rest. Hes been very consistant and he was playing just as well back then except back in 01 we didnt have Ricky and needed holes filled. WR's can make an INSTANT impact (a QB would not) Calico, Boldin, Rogers would be great if the Lions didnt suck, all these guys are making impacts on their team and we could have gotten 2 of them easy if we wanted to last year.

I gotta say that when Chambers was a rookie, a lot of us saw the talent and he had a good rookie year. This year was his best by far and he will hopefully be able to put up similar (If not better) #s in the future.

BUT he didn't play like this his first two years. It usually takes at least a season for young WRs to come in and play at a high level every week, unless you're Randy Moss.

I'm not saying its impossible to draft an immediate impact WR but the odds are low...

Originally posted by phins054
I gotta say that when Chambers was a rookie, a lot of us saw the talent and he had a good rookie year. This year was his best by far and he will hopefully be able to put up similar (If not better) #s in the future.

BUT he didn't play like this his first two years. It usually takes at least a season for young WRs to come in and play at a high level every week, unless you're Randy Moss.

I'm not saying its impossible to draft an immediate impact WR but the odds are low...

True (sometimes). More pollished recievers that run good routes typically can contribute more immediately. The exception would be a randy moss who is physically exceptional. By the by Randy was at least the second if not third WR taken that year. We should be in position to get the second or third this year wether we get a 1st for wally or no.

Originally posted by bigmiamifan
Wasn't this his 2nd year?

CC? No its his 3rd.
Year one played 3rd WR and got deep on many CBs. Had 18+ yd/catch ave
Year 2 Soph slump with two noodle armed QBs trying to get him the ball.
Year 3 learned how to catch a ball thrown to the guy in seat 12 section 126 :lol: Threfore put up good numbers even with Jay at QB.

What about Kurt Warner? I think the guy still has something left and after this year on the bench for the Rams, he will have something to prove.

Originally posted by Jpex
What about Kurt Warner? I think the guy still has something left and after this year on the bench for the Rams, he will have something to prove.

your gonna get flamed for this.

Many people on these boards think he's a system QB. I personally think he had raw talent. I'm a huge warner fan, and refuse to say he was a system QB.

That said, he's been injured, and is pretty immobile. I think he needs to hang it up. He made beautiful throws, and great reads at one time, but he got in the game late. FOr a few years there, he was the best though.

Oh..and putting him behind our line wouldn't be good thing either.

That said, he's been injured, and is pretty immobile. I think he needs to hang it up. He made beautiful throws, and great reads at one time

The same could be said of Brunell. Look what Vinny Testaverde did with the Ravens/Jets back in the late 90s. Troy Aikman was the same type QB for the Cowboys. Both were pretty immobile. You are correct that the OL is the problem....that, and poor coaching, of course. If you give just about any NFL QB enough time in the pocket, they can find the open man. Even Drew Bledsoe can do that, except it's usually a linebacker! Signing Kurt as a backup to Fiedler if they keep him might not be a bad move. Flame away. :)

Originally posted by Jpex

The same could be said of Brunell. Look what Vinny Testaverde did with the Ravens/Jets back in the late 90s. Troy Aikman was the same type QB for the Cowboys. Both were pretty immobile. You are correct that the OL is the problem....that, and poor coaching, of course. If you give just about any NFL QB enough time in the pocket, they can find the open man. Even Drew Bledsoe can do that, except it's usually a linebacker! Signing Kurt as a backup to Fiedler if they keep him might not be a bad move. Flame away. :)

Oh, i'm not flaming, I'm just warning you. Some peopel made threads about this awhile back, and got flamed to the sky with it.

I just don't like the idea, he has lost zip on his ball. I also hate the implication that he'd be a backup to fiedler. Fiedler will have to take a MAJOR cut to stay wtih this team, and with Warner's contract he'd be pretty expensive wouldn't he? The ONLY way I support warner/brunelle/jay, etc. being here is if they....

1. Come cheap

2. Come under the knowledge that we draft a rookie in the first round that will replace them in a year or two.

As long as we draft a rookie and he starts the minute he's ready I'm fine with nearly anyone behind the helm. That said I'd rather it be a good QB, but just draft the damn rookie already.

I agree. The drafting of a rookie should have come in April 1998 or 1999. A year or two before Marino retired!

In essence what you're saying is to cut Fiedler and Griese, sign Brunell (or possibly Warner if Brunell goes with Coughlin), draft a rookie as the backup and keep Sage as #3?

Originally posted by Graythreat

Oh, i'm not flaming, I'm just warning you. Some peopel made threads about this awhile back, and got flamed to the sky with it.

I just don't like the idea, he has lost zip on his ball. I also hate the implication that he'd be a backup to fiedler. Fiedler will have to take a MAJOR cut to stay wtih this team, and with Warner's contract he'd be pretty expensive wouldn't he? The ONLY way I support warner/brunelle/jay, etc. being here is if they....

1. Come cheap

2. Come under the knowledge that we draft a rookie in the first round that will replace them in a year or two.

As long as we draft a rookie and he starts the minute he's ready I'm fine with nearly anyone behind the helm. That said I'd rather it be a good QB, but just draft the damn rookie already.

I just don't see us getting the answer at QB unless we move waaaay up in the draft (which will not happen) for this scenario.

Honestly, I think fixing the O-line will be easier to fix via FA and solid drafting than finding the messiah at QB. If we fix the O-line with the right 2 or 3 guys then getting Brunell (My first choice) or keeping Jay/Griese or even Warner becomes moot. The running game improves as well as protecting the QB (Whoever it is) so the passing game should improve as well.

Jay is mobile when needed, but honestly...if he has 5 seconds to scan the field without either running sideways or getting blindsided, he has gotten better with his throws and decisions. (Think Dallas game) I am fine with that (Brunell has the same basic qualities as Jay but I think he is tougher and has a bit of a chip on his shoulder, which is a good thing. The only drawback is that he only has 2-3 years left. About the same amount of time we can realistically expect Ricky to dominate as a RB.)

Improve the O-line. With enough time Jay or whoever should have enough time to accurately throw and make decisions.

I think Warner packed it in this year when he had a chance to get his job back. He just didn't want it. I don't want a guy like that on my team...JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom