Perfect QB situation for Miami | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Perfect QB situation for Miami

I think Warner packed it in this year when he had a chance to get his job back. He just didn't want it. I don't want a guy like that on my team...JMHO.

Not to flame, but when did Warner pack it in? Are you referring to the Giants game this year? He got a concussion in the first quarter and still threw for almost 400 yards. He fumbled 6 times in that game because his OL couldn't protect him and he had a concussion....not because he is a bad player. I will admit his production has dropped off the past couple of years, but I think that is due to the Rams stupid 70 passes-a-game playcalling and not Kurt. Plus, Warner is an upstanding citizen and someone of good character the Dolphins need as a leader since Wanny doesn't feel like that's a coache's job.

I admit that I do not follow the Rams much but most of what I have seen come from the games early in the season when he just seemed to go through the motions. Passes were off, compare that to the two SB years and you can tell. The look in his eyes and the way he carried himself show...Thats what I based my comment on.

Good point. I agree he lost his confidence, probably that SB against the Pats. I think Warner can still be an effective QB in the NFL, in the right situation.

Originally posted by Jpex

The same could be said of Brunell. Look what Vinny Testaverde did with the Ravens/Jets back in the late 90s. Troy Aikman was the same type QB for the Cowboys. Both were pretty immobile. You are correct that the OL is the problem....that, and poor coaching, of course. If you give just about any NFL QB enough time in the pocket, they can find the open man. Even Drew Bledsoe can do that, except it's usually a linebacker! Signing Kurt as a backup to Fiedler if they keep him might not be a bad move. Flame away. :)

Brunell IS mobile. Brunell has not been injured very often and is a 3 time pro bowler. I would take Brunell over Warner, mostly due to his # of concussions, and also due to his system QB status. Notice when the timing is off on his WRs routes, he doesn't do as well. Brunell can scramble around and make something happen.

Fielder has to go. Sorry, just has to. Injured every year for 4-6 games, sails the deep ball, accurate every other throw, not well under duress, plus he said he won't come back as a back up.

Brunell/Sage/drafted QB and get WRs and OL in the draft

Getting lots of veteran names anyways

Brunell
Warner
Couch
Kitna

To my understanding, they are all under contract with only Brunell being a surefire cap casualty. I've heard that Warner isn't going anywhere unless someone offers up a pick (not likely) and I expect the Couch situation to be the same. Couch has also said he wants to stay in Cleveland and take a pay cut to do so. I don't want him anyway. He didn't do a damn thing with vastly superior WR's in Cleveland, why should we expect him to be a good fit in Miami? I don't know Kitna's contract status but if he's a free agent, I'd throw Jake Delhomme money at him at the most with the understanding he'll get a chance (and chance only) to win the starting job. All that said, Brunell looks the best/likely option to me.

The other side of the QB situatuation is who will we groom for the future. I think we need to draft a QB this year and since we don't have a 2nd rounder, it'll have to be higher (20th pick in the draft as of now). We could get lucky in the 3rd round or later but not as likely. That's why I want the trade down AND still get Rivers. Basically I want to have my cake and eat it too but I think it's a legitimate possibility at this point in time. As I've said before, the combine, allstar games and personal workouts will dictate draft status and may have Rivers going anywhere from the mid-first to the 3rd-4th round. My early money is on him going in the early-mid 2nd round. The Ogun situation adds yet another element. He's a restricted free agent and we'll tender him at 1st and 3rd round compensation should someone sign him to an offer sheet.......and someone will. Other than franchise QB's, young passrush DE's who play the run well (enough) are desparately sough after. I just hope it's not NE, Buf or the Jets who sign him. That'll give us two 1st rounders and two 3rds providing us even more flexibility in drafting our QB of the future AND still allowing us to land Miami guard Varney, LSU's Michael Clayton or OSU's Rashaun Woods. Any of those three would be surefire contributors if not starters.

Can't wait for the offseason to unfold and see what happens! Go Fins!

You guys seem to have a lot of money for all these players you want, please show me in a nice make believe way, how they all fit under the cap...

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
You guys seem to have a lot of money for all these players you want, please show me in a nice make believe way, how they all fit under the cap...

It is TOTALLY possible to get Brunelle and sign a top draft pick, or TWO first rounders, remember we have no second. Cutting Griese alone get's us 6 mil, O-gun will be gone (no cap hit there), Brunelle will come CHEAP. It's all within reason.

Couch, and Maybe Warner would be stretches. But Brunelle and the picks are totally within reason.

Back
Top Bottom