Peter KIng: Phins not trading up | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Peter KIng: Phins not trading up

Justin Herbert QB, College Player

NBC Sports' Peter King reported a rival GM said the Patriots, "Love Justin Herbert, but enough to trade up for him?"

King also noted, "Pats do have 12 picks—second-most in the draft—for ammo, but only one of those comes in the top 85. If they want Herbert, they’d likely have to be willing to part with the 2021 first-rounder in a trove of picks." Herbert has been popping up in the first round of basically every mock draft thanks to his NFL-ready size and howitzer for an arm. Rotoworld's Josh Norris rates him as the draft's No. 22 overall prospect, noting, "The tools are absolutely there - Big frame, big arm and a fantastic athlete. He definitely can succeed in an offense that wants to threaten vertical. Yet with all of those tools, I have concerns that he will not succeed off script. Mobility is not the problem, but mentality might be. He just might not have the comfort or confidence in those moments to make magic outside of structure."

Source: Profootballtalk.nbcsports.com

Apr 13, 2020, 9:26 AM ET

Justin Herbert QB, College Player

NBC Sports' Peter King reported a rival GM said the Patriots, "Love Justin Herbert, but enough to trade up for him?"

King also noted, "Pats do have 12 picks—second-most in the draft—for ammo, but only one of those comes in the top 85. If they want Herbert, they’d likely have to be willing to part with the 2021 first-rounder in a trove of picks." Herbert has been popping up in the first round of basically every mock draft thanks to his NFL-ready size and howitzer for an arm. Rotoworld's Josh Norris rates him as the draft's No. 22 overall prospect, noting, "The tools are absolutely there - Big frame, big arm and a fantastic athlete. He definitely can succeed in an offense that wants to threaten vertical. Yet with all of those tools, I have concerns that he will not succeed off script. Mobility is not the problem, but mentality might be. He just might not have the comfort or confidence in those moments to make magic outside of structure."

Source: Profootballtalk.nbcsports.com

Apr 13, 2020, 9:26 AM ET
I can't believe we have to pay attention to which QB the Pats are interested in ...for the first time in my football watching life it's not Brady

I can't believe we have to pay attention to which QB the Pats are interested in ...for the first time in my football watching life it's not Brady
I only put that here cause Herbert could be a target for us

If the Patriots were able to somehow get Herbert, they would continue to dominate the AFC East for years to come. While Brady was an excellent QB, they did not suffer when he was out of the lineup.
The reason the Patriots are the team they are is because of Belichick and getting a QB as talented as Herbert would merely ensure Belichick would be a thorn in the side of the teams in the AFC East for at least another decade.

That being stated, I think it is far more likely Newton will be the Patriots QB next year than Herbert.

If the Patriots were able to somehow get Herbert, they would continue to dominate the AFC East for years to come. While Brady was an excellent QB, they did not suffer when he was out of the lineup.
The reason the Patriots are the team they are is because of Belichick and getting a QB as talented as Herbert would merely ensure Belichick would be a thorn in the side of the teams in the AFC East for at least another decade.

That being stated, I think it is far more likely Newton will be the Patriots QB next year than Herbert.

I'm not so sure about that. Brady's brain is built differently, that is what made him special, not his physical gifts.

I dont see it in Herbert.

Jamarcuss Russell was physically gifted too, I dont think Belichick would have turned him into a star.

All conjecture- if any FO is tipping it’s hand for real, shame on them..

what I think has more validity is Grier taking the safer route, based on his prior perceived history.

That has always given me pause how aggressive he may be in trying to acquire Tua.

Blegh. Screw the Patriots. This is a Dolphins site.

I think it's more likely Miami stays put at #5. There is speculation Miami may trade up from #18 to try and get one of the OT's. And the 26th pick is also being tossed around, in speculation, it could be for sale as well, in a trade down scenario. I suspect Miami will be active.

All conjecture- if any FO is tipping it’s hand for real, shame on them..

what I think has more validity is Grier taking the safer route, based on his prior perceived history.

That has always given me pause how aggressive he may be in trying to acquire Tua.

Ya if all of this Herbert stuff turns out to be true (passing on Tua to draft Herbert) then our front office’s incompetency is out there for the whole world to see. That’s pretty bad tipping one’s hand weeks before the draft so I’m hoping that all this is a smoke screen and we really aren’t the worst run team in the league.

I’m also with you on Grier’s conservative nature. I only hope Ross and/or Flores steps in to save the day.We’ve all heard about the Lamar Jackson story, and we know Ross wants his team to be back to its glory years. So hopefully these last 2 decades tells Ross, Grier, and Flores that the safe route resulted in perpetual early off seasons and it’s time to swing for the fences!

Back
Top Bottom