Peter KIng: Phins not trading up | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Peter KIng: Phins not trading up

Good. We have a rare chance to add a ton of talent to the team. Throwing all of our capital away on one player who may not work out is too risky for me.
The rare chance is to add a QB of Tua's talent at the most important position in the sport by far. Why does this fan base love bargain bin shopping for QBs?

Blows my mind.

A collective decision like Minkah over Jackson? Were Harris and Wilkins collective decisions too? Grier, or the collective front office if you prefer, hasn’t proven that their brain trust can come up with the right decisions in the draft so far. Maybe if Ross and Flores speak up together we can go in a different direction than the “safe” picks of the past?
Ummm there are a few others that have joined the staff like Marvin Allen, Reggie McKenzie just to name a few. But go ahead and dwell on the past that really has no bearing going forward.

..... That was the point. Higher level of sarcasm called satire
Satire by definition is used to expose the invalidity behind an idea using humor or exaggeration.

My comment was in regards to what you are actually trying to invalidate as if you were in the right.

The rare chance is to add a QB of Tua's talent at the most important position in the sport by far. Why does this fan base love bargain bin shopping for QBs?

Blows my mind.
I don't think the plan is to bargain basement hunt for a QB going forward. Were I on the Dolphins draft team, I would also have A LOT of reservations about Tua's potential health and longevity. Yeah, he's a great talent, but if he gets hurt this often in college, how well will he hold up against bigger and faster and stronger athletes? He may turn out to be like a Sam Bradford or Jake Long type: tons of talent but a body that can't take the pounding.

It doesn't say they arent trading up it says they arent trading the farm to trade up if that makes sense.

I could easily see them giving the lions a 3rd and 5th rounder to move up to #3.

No one knows what Miami is going to do in the draft. Lol not these articles saying Miami will attempt to trade up or that they won’t trade up.

I don't think the plan is to bargain basement hunt for a QB going forward. Were I on the Dolphins draft team, I would also have A LOT of reservations about Tua's potential health and longevity. Yeah, he's a great talent, but if he gets hurt this often in college, how well will he hold up against bigger and faster and stronger athletes? He may turn out to be like a Sam Bradford or Jake Long type: tons of talent but a body that can't take the pounding.
He may, but that's the crux of the matter, isn't it? You can't project that type of stuff. Jake Long was a college ironman and his body betrayed him. As people on this forum have shown through actual statistics, it's pretty hard to get any kind of accurate projections on whether someone who is healthy in college can stay health in the NFL and vice versa. It's essentially a crap shoot so why do we keep pretending like we can project it in any way whatsoever when actual data scientists can't come to a conclusion?

If the question was, "Can he ever be the same post-injury?" like a Jaylon Smith, then that's a whole different ballgame, but as it stands right now I think most people assume that Tua circa 2020 will be at least 95% of Tua circa 2019 so the rest of the stuff is just background noise.

Last edited:
Yeah, it'll be refreshing to see bitching about the picks Miami made, rather than about the picks that might be made.

You think THAT will be bad? wait until Nov when people can, with hindsight, post who Miami COULD have (not 'of') taken. I'll not be surprised if Miami moves up from #5 or #18, but I don't think it will be for an unrealistic price.

I am really interested to see how things play out. I have ready that Ross doesn't want to pick Tua because of his "concern about [his] health". I am sure that he reminds them from time to time of his desire to draft Jackson and how he turned out for Baltimore...
The Lamar Jackson myth: What really happened in the Miami Dolphins’ 2018 draft room
Sometimes stories take on a life of their own and grow into legendary tales. And sometimes stories take on a life of their own and grow into ugly, bleeding, false lies.

And this is about the latter.

To wit: Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross never told general manager Chris Grier to trade down during the 2018 draft and pick Lamar Jackson.
It. Did. Not. Happen.

Multiple sources, including people in the Dolphins draft room at the time, insist over and over this never happened.

But the Dolphins’ fan base has repeated this falsehood time and again. Ross suggested the team consider trading down from the pick. He wanted to look around and see if his team might trade down, pick up an extra first-round pick, and perhaps still land Fitzpatrick or a player of similar talent. This has been confirmed for me by Ross himself in a 2018 email.

If the Dolphins are going to do it this might be the year as next year we will probably be drafting lower than we are this year. Just saying if they were sold on Burrow.

Back
Top Bottom