peyton's cadence | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

peyton's cadence

tommyp

Active Roster
Reaction score
As i am watching the Denver game yesterday, early on Peyton would always bark out "omaha, hut" and then snap the ball so i'm reminded of the go, go dolphin
cadence and i'm thinking sd gonna pick this up and always jump the snap.

but what does denver do for the remainder of the game. they change the cadence and draw 4 offsides penalty. just makes me realize how far miami has to go

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Peyton changes it up regularly in a game and consciously tries to draw the offside penalties. Ryan changed it once every 4 - 5 games.

One of the keys is being able to change it without your incompetent offensive line getting penalized. We also don't know who sets the cadence. Tannehill isn't given the same freedoms that Manning is, nor should he at this point in his career.

Cadence is only one part of it. The other is flat out letting the def know whether the play is a run or pass.

plus, who gets the blame... sherman, philbin, tannehill, the oline or all of the above

Last night was a masterclass in QB play at the line. It appeared the cadence changed every quarter. He got them plenty of times just by getting the line set early and giving the hard count. What was noticeable was that on 'Omaha', the snap count was live and snapped almost straight after except for the final quarter. Then, 'Omaha'' didn't make the snap live and drew them offside. It was brilliant to watch and something that Miami and Tannehill should absolutely be looking to incorporate.

I genuinely got the impression that the San Diego defense had literally given up competing with Manning.

The blame falls on Sherman. He employed a old style of cadence involving the infamous Go/Go-Go and signals from Pouncey. Obviously Tannehill was restricted from changing it because you could sense the frustration he was feeling in both Bills games when they were jumping it.

It isn't Peyton its EVERY team. Most of you probably know this but let me explain quickly:

Each play there is a "live word" it may be the same as the last 10 plays or it may be different.
Peyton uses a "dummy" count to both get a look at the defense (show blitz, drop whatever).

So, let's say the live word is "snake" snap count is one, cadence is set hut. The cadence itself usually stays the same. At least the verbage does, set hut.

Peyton can say whatever the hell he wants "rita rita. ...Omaha set hut! hut-hut" Then he gets a good look at the defense, maybe audibles then says "rita rita, Maiden, Silver, Omaha. Snake....set hut (ball is snapped)
The snap count changes, I am guessing they go on "set", on one, on 2 (hut-hut), and probably on 3.

One of the keys is being able to change it without your incompetent offensive line getting penalized.
I hope our reluctance to do this isn't based on a fear of penalties. I don't think penalties should be a huge concern in the great scheme of things. Both the Seahawks and the Broncos were among the most penalized in the league this year (#32 and #28) and they're both going to their league championship game.

We also don't know who sets the cadence. Tannehill isn't given the same freedoms that Manning is, nor should he at this point in his career.
Changing cadence is something quarterbacks learn back in high school. Why we're so bad in this area is a real mystery to me. I'd love to be a fly on the wall if this comes up in a OC interview with Philbin sitting at the table. I wonder if Philbin will defend the status quo as something he expects to new OC to continue, or if he's willing to accept criticism of his offense and allow a new OC to improve this part of our game.

its shermans fault, and philbins fault. how the hell do you run a team with a huge tendency such as the same snap cadence.

its shermans fault, and philbins fault. how the hell do you run a team with a huge tendency such as the same snap cadence.

Ya it is very concerning. I think it had more to do with Sherman, and Philbnin's stubbornness. They didn't like being told they are wrong/ Neanderthals.

But, I can tell you our High school Cadence was wayyyyyy more advanced than the Miami Dolphins what joke!
Typically even if you use the same cadence (set...go)

You have to vary the snap count. Sometimes on set, on 1 (go), 2 (go-go), and 3 (go...go-go). But it sure as hell cant be dependent on, whether its a run or a pass.
It would be beneficial to snap on set sometimes on running plays, to give the oline that split second to get into their clocks.

I thought it was so amazing to watch. If I was San Diego, I would have just given up trying to anticipate the snap count and just watch the ball or wait for the O-line to move.

And then people here blame the Line for not being able to run block or pass protect. Seriously use some common sense. The talent on this line wasn't that putrid. You can't expect the players on the line to be able to block when the opposing team knows the snap count and is being told its a run or pass. Then add the fact we run a ZBS on top of it while not having the right personnel for a ZBS.

But then people push that to the side and blame the GM for us not being in the playoffs. For putting together the worst line in the league. Bull ****. This failure of a season falls on Mike Sherman for the above reasons as well as being a ****ty play caller and game manager. And its on Philbin for not recognizing a problem and continuing with it.

Sherman wad a horrible OC and cost us the playoffs. Period.

As i am watching the Denver game yesterday, early on Peyton would always bark out "omaha, hut" and then snap the ball so i'm reminded of the go, go dolphin
cadence and i'm thinking sd gonna pick this up and always jump the snap.

but what does denver do for the remainder of the game. they change the cadence and draw 4 offsides penalty. just makes me realize how far miami has to go

How far Miami has to go? I swear, you could almost predict when Denver was going to snap the ball after "Omaha, hut" and when they were trying to pull them offside.
It's not rocket science. It's pretty basic as far as I'm concerned. They make Peyton seem like aerospace engineer!
Makes you wonder if Philbin is worthy of being a head coach when such a basic concept is lost on him and his staff.

Makes you realize what an outdated offensive gameplan we have. After watching the plans and strategies of the playoff teams, we can only improve from moving on from Sherman. I only hope that Philbin doesn't restrain the new OC, whoever he may be.

Back
Top Bottom