PFF Ranks Miami's Defensive Line 28th | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF Ranks Miami's Defensive Line 28th

So having a Defense ranked near the bottom and a lower than the D ranked Offense adds up to 10-6? I call that "credible information"...

I've said this before, and I'll say it again; Miami's interior D-Line (Davis in particular) did what it was asked to do. They were primarily tasked with occupying blockers and gap filling. It's not going to be pretty, and it's not going to get stats, but it's going to allow LB to make splashy plays.

I respect PFF and find some of their information useful, but ranking Miami's defensive line 28th seems extremely low.

Admittedly, there's no way to know how good Phillips will become. That's an unknown and the team really needs him to be a plus player.

But the Dolphins do have nice depth and solid starters in Ogbah, Wilkins and Davis. I think it's an overall unit that's top half in the NFL.

Am I looking at it with aqua colored glasses?
Well said and I agree. Wilkins is not a star, but he's a pretty good player. Ogbah is very good, and he alone should have us in the top half. Phillips is a DE/OLB combo and I expect very good things from him, but don't blame them for not factoring in the rookie. Judging by our defensive performance last year, this ranking is just too low. Even losing Shaq Lawson the stats show that Van Ginkel can likely fill that spot just fine if not better. IMHO, our DL is probably top half of the league, and definitely better than 28th. Without a decent DL, our secondary wouldn't be able to dominate the way we do.

I believe that’s Different era though
That team was just a completely different team. I've never seen a team (not even the 85 Bears) where a defense just told the offense "don't **** up the game by turning the ball over, we will score points and win the game for you" that defense allowed only 9.4 points per game and had 49 turnovers lol.

Last edited:
I do think the defense was a tad smoke and mirrors as far as getting pressure. And what I mean is nobody was good at winning solo battles to generate pressure. I do believe Van Ginkel and ogbah were sneaky good in that area though. Also why we drafted Philips, guy is a beast
Right... but we also werent good vs the run, and the secondary was leaky at times although I think a big part of that was opposing offenses either getting a lot of time to throw with base pressure, or guys on the back end in single coverage so often due to the need to blitz to create pressure.

I think you may be making a superficial judgement here.

In this scheme he doesn't play the role of a 3 technique, penetration lineman.

His job is/has been to take up space, and occupy defenders without giving ground.

With the emergance of Davis, he may get more opportunity in other roles.

When drafted, it analogized that CW would be to Miami's D what R Seymour was to the pats D early in the Belichick era.

If I understand this correctly, the DL is 28th, LB are 26th, secondary middle of the pack, but finished at the top i scoring. The D lost no critical pieces during OS and I see no big drop off in talent anywhere. IIRC, most of the big runs against the D were on the left side of the D. The entire D wasn't bad against the run. I'm missing something
I would definitely put Miami's defensive line in the top half. Probably not top 10, but top 15.

If Phillips is a star, top 10 seems likely.

So basically they are saying our defense was pretty bad and lower 1/3 of the league yet that is the unit that carried us to a 10 win season lol. I will admit though the defense was very leaky and let up a lot of yards... but they thrived off of turnovers and big plays which probably isnt sustainable.
I don't know if they were factoring in metrics that included turnovers, key stops, or even third down efficiency. That's where Miami came up big.

Back
Top Bottom