PFT: Phins Intend to Select Manuel Wright | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFT: Phins Intend to Select Manuel Wright

Muck said:
That's right I'm not your father. Chet Steadman's not your father. Your mother doesn't even know who your father is!!

Your father's some guy who left town......

maury_all_kids-1.jpg

"Muck....you ARE the father!"

Back on topic, I wouldn't mind getting Wright but I don't think I'd give up anything higher than a 3rd.

Muck said:
I think a 2nd gets him for sure. A 3rd should also do the trick, since the only team with a better chance of getting him in that round is San Francisco, who plays a 3-4 defense.
In the recent past the supplemental draft is a 3 tier weighted lottery. Meaning every team with 6 or fewer wins last year will have a chance to have a higher pick.

As for supplemental draft procedures, this is straight from the folks at NFL headquarters who would oversee such a draft: Each club’s draft position is weighted by assigning the weakest club the greatest number of lottery chances and the strongest club the fewest number. Team strength and weakness will be determined by the original order of the first round of the prior to the April draft and before any trades (i.e., the weakest club, which from the 2003 season is the San Diego Chargers, will have its name in the drawing 32 times, the next weakest 31 times, etc., until the Super Bowl winner, which would have its name in once).

There is a three-step drawing process that works in the following order:

1. Teams that won six or fewer games in the prior regular season are placed together in a container and drawn to determine the initial arrangement of places in the selection order;

2. The remaining non-playoff teams are placed together in a container and drawn to determine their places following those determined in the first drawing;

3. Playoff teams are placed together in a container and drawn to determine the remaining places in the selection order.

Dphins4me said:
In the recent past the supplemental draft is a 3 tier weighted lottery. Meaning every team with 6 or fewer wins last year will have a chance to have a higher pick.
That fact is not being debated. The debate concerns whether or not the supplemental draft is conducted just like the regular draft. Either each pick is made public when the pick is made (like the reg. draft), or bids are placed on each player a team is interested in and the round they are willing to make the pick in. Then the league configures all this info and determines who placed the earliest bid for each player and therefore is awarded that player. There is a risk here due to not knowing how early a team is willing to bid for a certain player. The latter is my contention, however I do not have a link. It's just what I've been led to understand.

I don't have a link either, but it is blind. Last year both the Texans and Cowboys submitted #2s for Hollings. The Texans were notified that they were the high bidder.

We'll need to use a third for him. I would much rather go with a fourth but there are other teams who would be willing to give up a third. That means that if we want him we'll have to use that high of a pick. The bottom line is that if he can help our DT position, he's worth it. We got a few good free agents, but age is not on their side.

Dolfan4life! said:
The debate concerns whether or not the supplemental draft is conducted just like the regular draft. Either each pick is made public when the pick is made (like the reg. draft), or bids are placed on each player a team is interested in and the round they are willing to make the pick in.
Sorry, the answer to your question is Bids are placed.

I'm afraid I can't add to the supplemental draft debate, though I had always thought it was bids. But, I do want to comment on the story from an NFL source. Since, Nick has put everyones job on the line for speaking for the organization, and he is the only voice, I find it very unlikely that someone spilled the beans.

I bet the Dolphins worked out the guy and we have his old coach so someone speculated we would pick him. No way is this based on a real leak.

Back
Top Bottom