PFT: Phins Intend to Select Manuel Wright | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFT: Phins Intend to Select Manuel Wright

Randy Mueller has been known to leak stories.Maybe the press has hope with him on board now.

I hope they are right on this. Manuel Wright may not be able to do much for us this year, but he would be a possible long term DT for us. Nothing hire then a 3rd round pick for him though.

I see what the debate is, but I don't see how it really changes anything from one to the other. If the teams know the draft order before submitting, then it really doesn't change the dynamic of the game being played.

It changes nothing in terms of the dynamics.

Muck said:
I think at the very least, the Phins are seriously considering drafting him. We are very thin at DT. Plus our assistant DL coach coached this kid last year.

I don't think it's BS. I believe somebody actually told them what they're reporting. Whether this source is wrong or not, we'll find out. But I think where there's smoke, there's fire in this case.

Actually, given the secrecy around the Dolphins now, we might not find out.

Agree Muck. Here are three reasons to sign him.

1) We are thin at DT, with Bowens and possibly Chester out of the picture. We need depth hear, not to mention an injection of youth in the defensive interior.

2) This guy is apparantly a player with high upside and great athleticism. With "isnide" info being passed along from the former USC OL coach (who played against him every day), its seems like our personnel department has this kid highly rated. If we offer a 3-5 round pick for a 1-2 round talent, we are certainly making out like bandits.

3) Picking #2 in each Supplemental round, we can leverage our high draft position to jump ahead of other teams. Furthermore, assuming we improve from last years 4-12 season, using a supplemental pick THIS year is the equivalent of "trading up with ourselves" in order to move up in the draft. We will likely be drafting much lower than #2 in 2006, making this a unique opportunity for the organization.

I hope we get him.

All you need to know about the supplemental draft: http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/supplementaldraft.htm

Some highlights for certain questions taht were debated:
What is the Supplemental Draft and how does it work?
The 2005 Supplemental Draft will be held on July 14th, where a handful of college players will test their luck in the draft with NFL teams. The Supplemental draft is for college players that have either lost their eligibility after the regular NFL draft deadline or have decided to forego their final year(s) of eligibility to pursue a NFL career. Here are some of the rules and specifics:
- NFL teams can opt not to use their pick if they so desire.
- The order is done much like the NBA draft, with a lottery determining the outcome.
- The draft is now conducted via email, where it was formerly held by conference call. There are seven rounds, just like the regular draft

ckparrothead said:
I see what the debate is, but I don't see how it really changes anything from one to the other. If the teams know the draft order before submitting, then it really doesn't change the dynamic of the game being played.

It changes nothing in terms of the dynamics.
There is a lot of posturing going on here. After all, it's still a draft. Teams may give the impression that they are really interested in a player in the hopes it forces a team (desperate for a player at that position) to bid a draft pick in a round far earlier than they need to, costing them a more valuable pick.

There is a lot of posturing going on here. After all, it's still a draft. Teams may give the impression that they are really interested in a player in the hopes it forces a team (desperate for a player at that position) to bid a draft pick in a round far earlier than they need to, costing them a more valuable pick.

Ok, given, but tell me how that means that the way I was talking about, where they go through 7 rounds, round at a time, makes things different from the way you are talking about with everyone knowing their draft order but just submitting their highest bid for a player and then being told whether or not they got him?

It literally changes nothing about the dynamics or posturing or anything about the game. In the method you claim is what happens, teams still know what the pecking order is, and they have their assumptions about who is interested in the player, and they have their own grade on him. They decide whether to bid par value for the player, or whether to bid one round HIGHER than par value for the player, based on where they are in the pecking order, and whether they think a team that picks higher than them is willing to bid on him.

In the way that I believe it happens, round by round, the exact same thing is true. Every round comes and goes, teams decide whether to say "yes" in the round that is one round higher than their par value round, or whether to continue to say "no"

Your argument is kind of a moot point. You've failed to register how the method you claim is actually used changes the dynamic of the game.

ckparrothead said:
Ok, given, but tell me how that means that the way I was talking about, where they go through 7 rounds, round at a time, makes things different from the way you are talking about with everyone knowing their draft order but just submitting their highest bid for a player and then being told whether or not they got him?

It literally changes nothing about the dynamics or posturing or anything about the game. In the method you claim is what happens, teams still know what the pecking order is, and they have their assumptions about who is interested in the player, and they have their own grade on him. They decide whether to bid par value for the player, or whether to bid one round HIGHER than par value for the player, based on where they are in the pecking order, and whether they think a team that picks higher than them is willing to bid on him.

In the way that I believe it happens, round by round, the exact same thing is true. Every round comes and goes, teams decide whether to say "yes" in the round that is one round higher than their par value round, or whether to continue to say "no"

Your argument is kind of a moot point. You've failed to register how the method you claim is actually used changes the dynamic of the game.
In the supp draft, teams don't know for sure how high any team is willing to bid for a player. If we place a 3rd round bid on Wright, we might or might not get him. His stock appears to be rising. So do we place a 2nd round bid on him? It's a gamble, other teams could be bluffing in their interest in him, causing us (in our desperation) to bid higher than we need to, in order to secure his services. When perhaps a 4th rounder could have gotten him all along. It's a gamble. In the regular draft, if the player is there when your draft position comes up and you want him, you select him. If you feel your player won't be there when your choice comes up, you try to trade up and get him, but there are more unknowns in the "blind draft" process.

Again, you've failed to make your case for how your method changes anything about the dynamics from my method. At this point I will just have to declare the issue dead. Whether they do it round by round, or by blind bid, the dynamics do not change, and the results are exactly the same. The only thing that would change the dynamics (slightly), would be if the teams did not know the pecking order.

The teams with the most interest in Wright, at this point, seem to be the Phins, Packers, Eagles, and Bengals.

Miami is guaranteed to have higher priority than any of those other teams, and both Miami, and the other teams know that.

ckparrothead said:
Again, you've failed to make your case for how your method changes anything about the dynamics from my method. At this point I will just have to declare the issue dead. Whether they do it round by round, or by blind bid, the dynamics do not change, and the results are exactly the same. The only thing that would change the dynamics (slightly), would be if the teams did not know the pecking order.
I see your point, if your player is still on the board at your selection in the 2nd round, you must consider whether or not you think he'll be there in the 3rd and decide accordingly. Whether the process is blind or not the decision has to be made, at what point do you pull the trigger.

I see your point, if your player is still on the board at your selection in the 2nd round, you must decide whether or not you think he'll be there in the 3rd and decide accordingly. Whether the process is blind or not the decision has to be made, at what point do you pull the trigger.

EXACTLY, now you're gettin me. You really can put this all into game theory terms. With changing the method from one to the next, you don't change the outcome of the game. Either way teams have their information, know the pecking order (which relates to their ability to outbid other teams simply by submitting in the same round as them), and they decide whether to submit what they believe to be par value for the player, or they decide to submit a round higher than par value, based on their needs, and whether or not another team could trump them.

Things do change, however, if Miami does not know whether they have the #1 order in the pecking order, or say, the #12 order (which is the last possible number they could have, given the process is decided in three tiers).

Back
Top Bottom