Philbin and Hinkey's plan | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philbin and Hinkey's plan

Very good analysis....I agree with your comments.

Oh, and I'm old enough to remember George Blanda......he played way past his prime.

Thanks and yeah I'm too young to remember him but going by his stats, he actually had his best years as a kicker in his 40's lol idk how hard it was to kick in te 50's in his 20's but some seasons he went 6 for 25 followed by 7 for 20 the next year. Yikes.

On Offense Phins must have a right Tackle. Must have a FB that can catch.

RG may be on the roster but maybe pick up Mathis in a trade. TE would be good to add in first 2 rounds if possible. WR in the later rounds.

On defense good to add a MLB, and S as higher priorities. Lower priorities another CB and DT for Depth. Need a good Punt Returner too.

For the 1st round I like any of the following: Martin, Mosely, Gilbert, Ebron or Amaro. If Mike Evans were to fall by accident I would grab him too.

Hopefully o-line and RB help along with Lazor will improve the offense and I think we are already in better shape than last year. Now what about the defense ? Unfortunately, I don't see that improving until Coyle is gone. He took a good defense and made it slowly worse over time. Hoping he just had the wrong players and some of the newer pieces will improve things but I am not sold on him or his system.

If Zach Martin and Taylor Lewan are both gone, and Evans is there, I'd take Evans. And then trade Gibson/Hartline for a guard. Evan Mathis for Hartline straight up if we got Evans I could live with, for Philly it would be a good deal cuz they could dump or trade Desean Jackson. Then take a tackle in the 2nd(maybe even trade up to bottom of the 1st or early 2nd for Antonio Richardson or the like) and another guard in the 5th or 6th round to develop for a year or so.

Just because Miami signs Moreno doesn't mean they don't look at RB in the draft. If they get an opportunity for a nice value pick on a big back like Hill or Hyde there's no reason not to consider it. To begin with, KM has a history of getting dinged up, so it would be nice to add depth and more talent. He's nice in short yardage but not prototypical and a big sledgehammer would be give Miami three completely different RB to throw at a defense.

George Blanda (QB and K for the Raiders back in the day for all you kiddies out there) played deep into his 40s.

You know what, the way the league protects star QBs these days, I actually could see Brady playing into his 40s. They simply dont get beat up the way QBs used to...

If Zach Martin and Taylor Lewan are both gone, and Evans is there, I'd take Evans. And then trade Gibson/Hartline for a guard. Evan Mathis for Hartline straight up if we got Evans I could live with, for Philly it would be a good deal cuz they could dump or trade Desean Jackson. Then take a tackle in the 2nd(maybe even trade up to bottom of the 1st or early 2nd for Antonio Richardson or the like) and another guard in the 5th or 6th round to develop for a year or so.

Wow, really? I think Hartline gets way less credit on this board than he deserves. He is by far our most reliable receiver and I'm very comfortable having him at #2. Sure Evans was great in college, but how many have done that and been complete busts in the NFL? At least you know what you get in Mr. Consistent (Hartline).

I know RB isn't as pressing as other positions, but damn I think Tre Mason is going to be a stud in this league for a long long time.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Zach martin is probabaly the smartest pick. Doubt he gets passed Pittsburgh though

Wow, really? I think Hartline gets way less credit on this board than he deserves. He is by far our most reliable receiver and I'm very comfortable having him at #2. Sure Evans was great in college, but how many have done that and been complete busts in the NFL? At least you know what you get in Mr. Consistent (Hartline).

Hartline is one of the chambers in the heart of this team. He bleeds for this team and will do anything asked. He has become one of my favorite Fins.

When I was at the Baltimore game, I was impressed with his work ethic in pregame and the way he conducted himself on/off the field. Hartline is a true professional. He's easily the most dedicated WR we have. I would trade every other WR before trading Hartline.

He's technically proficient and a student of his craft. You can see it when he practices. His mind is focused and is a guy who will be in the league for a long time because of his dedication and work ethic.

Trading Hartline would be one of the biggest mistakes we've made in recent years. Under appreciated and not flashy. He just does what he is supposed to do, every time you ask him.

HINKEY :up:

On a related note, I agree OP that Miami is heading on a good track right now. It's going to come down to execution from Philbin and his staff, especially Lazor, to get us over the hump and into the playoffs (hopefully, far into the playoffs, but even just the first round would be a good first step).

Miami needs to stop giving up the Gimme games to mediocre teams, and actually beat their division rivals instead of playing to their level yet without killer instinct. I saw one dominant game last year and that was because the Jets played like zombies (not the 28 Days Later fast and rabid kind).

The Fins can certainly do it, althouggh the key word there is "do", execute, make the plays and gameplans happen. If we don't, we're just beating ourselves all over again, and another season down the tubes.

For the record, I love Hartline, and I do think he is under-rated...but I also think Evans may be the closest thing to Calvin Johnson since Calvin Johnson. And if, yes its a substantial IF.....if that bears out, it'd be foolish not to take him at 19. Although, I would be shocked if Evans falls that far.

And we have consistently overpaid for free agents because Ireland did not draft studs. Evans has enormous potential to be a stud. Hartline will never be more than a good #2. And keep in mind I'm trading Hartline, not releasing him.

Mike Evans + Evan Mathis>Brian Hartline + Cyrus Kouandijo
IMO....for all that can be said about prospects before they suit up.

Hopefully o-line and RB help along with Lazor will improve the offense and I think we are already in better shape than last year. Now what about the defense ? Unfortunately, I don't see that improving until Coyle is gone. He took a good defense and made it slowly worse over time. Hoping he just had the wrong players and some of the newer pieces will improve things but I am not sold on him or his system.

I disagree with your assessment. Coyle and Philbin have a defensive identity they want to establish. This identity is:

+ aggressive hard hitting backfield
+ disruptive penetration from DTs
+ smaller, fast defensive ends
+ faster linebackers

I truly believe that Ireland held them back. His free agent linebackers do not fit. Clemons did not fit. While talented as a NT, Soliai did not fit the 4-3. Hickey on the other hand has enhanced this identity. All of the FA DBs fit the aggressive, hard hitting mold. Mitchell and Starks are fantastic 4-3 DTs. While I might questions some of his play calling, Coyle is making forward progress.

I wouldn't cross off an RB, I think we're definitely picking up one. But with this FA move, we may not be picking as early as I figured.

Back
Top Bottom