Philbin may be sold on Flynn but Ross may not be | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philbin may be sold on Flynn but Ross may not be

Are you talking about this part?
Ross wants a franchise quarterback at the helm in 2012. He is said to be committed to veer away from any attempt that would add a “caretaker” quarterback as a potential starter. He is said to be tired of watching the Dolphins field backups disguised as starters.
I'm not sure if Ross has actually said this or if this is Armando talking crap again in one of his opinion pieces. Either way this may not be about Ross talking about Flynn or any QB in particular.

A while back after the season ended. Ross was the one who pulled the plug on the Kyle Orton trade
Ross pulled the plug on the Kyle Orton trade because of price. Orton wanted to be paid like a franchise QB and the Dolphins didn't view him as one.

Are you talking about this part?

I'm not sure if Ross has actually said this or if this is Armando talking crap again in one of his opinion pieces. Either way this may not be about Ross talking about Flynn or any QB in particular.

Yes, i was refering to that part but the whole article is important to keep in mind, it talks about what Ross is demanding right now in a franchise quarterback. It sounds like Ross wouldnt be too thrilled about the idea of Miami signing Matt Flynn as its franchise QB. If anything, it sounds like the complete opposite of what Ross is looking for and its obvious why he wants Manning so badly.

I also believe that Ross would rather draft Tannehill instead of gambling on Matt Flynn. Ross is all about money, like most owners he wants to sell tickets obviously. I dont think Matt Flynn would be a big ticket seller. But a athletic QB drafted in the top 10 (Tannehill) could get some people excited, and the draft is usually where most teams get their franchise QB's. Im not agreeing with any of this, just trying to view it from Stephen Ross's perspective and his outlook.

We already know that Ross shouldnt be doing any football operations, but we know he has most of the say considering he is the owner. Remember how Ross and Ireland couldnt agree on a head coach before hiring Philbin? Ross definitely has some input in some football operations in this organization whether we like it or not and he will put his foot down

Yes, i was refering to that part but the whole article is important to keep in mind, it talks about what Ross is demanding right now in a franchise quarterback. It sounds like Ross wouldnt be too thrilled about the idea of Miami signing Matt Flynn as its franchise QB. If anything, it sounds like the complete opposite of what Ross is looking for and its obvious why he wants Manning so badly.

I also believe that Ross would rather draft Tannehill instead of gambling on Matt Flynn.
I think Ross doesn't know enough about talent evaluation to know one player from another. If Philbin can convince Ross that Flynn can be the franchise QB then Ross would trust his judgement. I also think if Philbin, Sherman or whomever think Tannehill, Weeden or any other QB can become that franchise QB, Ross would go with that as well.

By the way, that article by Armando was written last October when it looked like we were going to be in the Suck For Luck Sweepstakes.

I think Ross doesn't know enough about talent evaluation to know one player from another. If Philbin can convince Ross that Flynn can be the franchise QB then Ross would trust his judgement. I also think if Philbin, Sherman or whomever think Tannehill, Weeden or any other QB can become that franchise QB, Ross would go with that as well.

By the way, that article by Armando was written last October when it looked like we were going to be in the Suck For Luck Sweepstakes.

I edited my last post in a little more detail. I realize that article isnt new but Ross preference for a franchise QB hasnt changed and thats why he is pushing hard for Manning

But I definitely agree that Ross shouldnt be the talent evaluator but he definitely does have some say

yeah, no. everyone who needs a QB right now is interested in peyton manning. if manning goes elsewhere, we go after flynn if philbin gives him the stamp of approval. there is no stephen ross in that equation. except to cut the check. end of story.

Im bringing this thread back up cause it got lost after the brandon Marshall trade and I feel that its a good discussion

Remind me again how much head coaching experience Ross has?! Unless he has some great plan he needs to let the football guys take care of business
I get your point, but the truth is Philbin doesnt have any head coaching experience either...

I think Philbin may really believe that Matt Flynn is the real deal but is having a hard time trying to convience Stephen Ross that Flynn is a better QB than Matt Moore. We all know that Ross loves the big name guys, especially with Peyton Manning in free agency.

Ross has already said that he is tired of bringing in back ups and disguising them as starters and Flynn is exactly that. Of course Philbin may not be interested in Flynn at all. but it sucks we have such a stubborn owner.

Thoughts?

Flynn is overrated until he can do it for more than ONE GAME .. cmon really he was put into a very powerful Packers system much like ANY RB would have a 1,000 yard season in Denver way back when .. the system is not in place yet .. you can't just bring him in based off of a random fluke game

Remind me again how much head coaching experience Ross has?! Unless he has some great plan he needs to let the football guys take care of business

Technically, he has as much Head Coaching experience as anyone else on the staff now... Lol

Flynn is overrated until he can do it for more than ONE GAME .. cmon really he was put into a very powerful Packers system much like ANY RB would have a 1,000 yard season in Denver way back when .. the system is not in place yet .. you can't just bring him in based off of a random fluke game

No. But you can bring him in because he has a few years of experience in that system, and practicing against NFL caliber players.No matter how you look at it, he has done well in his limited opportunities. And if you are Joe Phibin, what better chance would you have to get someone that can run your system efficiently? He would be like a coach on the field, and that would help immensely. He seems to be held in high regard by fellow players and coaches. I see nothing wrong with giving him a shot here.

Back
Top Bottom