Philbin On The Clock This year? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philbin On The Clock This year?

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

I'm partial to Tony Levin on bass, a few others. I respect your opinion, but it's just that, your opinion. EVH is the only reason I ever picked up a guitar so you'll never sway me...

IF I were Ross, I would pay Marino a bunch of money to work with RT and Wallace for a few weeks. Just think of the PR, let alone potential results.

I saw Montana on ESPN, who said that he would not want to play against Dan with today's rules.

I just want to let you know, Marino was criticized for his deep balls a lot as a player. The criticism was he throws everything too hard and as a bullet, not lobbying the ball for receivers to run under. Tannehill is a different type of QB, he will learn, and much of his deep ball problem is with Wallace only.

Unless he completely tanks, I don't see Ross dumping his mancrush Principal Philbin. I foresee another 7-9/8-8 season and Ross chalking it up to a first year with Hickey, and then proceeding to waste yet another season by keeping them on.

I completely agree with you. Everything about the Dolphins rounds out as average in the key categories like talent level and quarterbacking. Unless we have an unusual distribution either way in the close games, or are hit with a rash of injuries, I think it very likely equates to another season near .500 and therefore benefit of a doubt to Philbin.

Hickey needs to hit on a great player or two. That's what we've been missing and finally there's room for hope.

Legitimately great players, not the pretend version. I noticed on another site last night that ckparrothead hinted strongly that the coaching staff was not happy with Dion Jordan, who apparently contributed to his lack of playing time.

To be fair to Ross, allowing Philbin & Co. 4 years is not blind allegiance IMO. When mediocre coaches like Gary Kubiak, Marvin Lewis and Jason Garrett get much longer leashes, 4 years seems standard. I tend to look at the bright side and focus on Philbin's 4-1 record against AFC playoff teams this year. He's intelligent and has potential to continue to improve as a head coach. This is not Tony Sparano who was what he was and didn't have the intellect to turn into a good coach.

IMO, with no links or inside info, Philbin has control of our team this year, for better or worse, as Shula did in the past.

Ross loves him, and made a big decision in keeping him. Think what you will but, I believe he was responsible for Ireland being gone, and Hickey being here. Others did not want to keep him. I see Hickey as a "partial puppet" in what Philbin wants to do, and Red Dawn going along as well.

So, he is in his third year in being a HC, and has not been great. He is bringing integrity and detail to the team, and this year will tell the tale IF that works in today's NFL.

I have my doubts but, would love to be wrong.

Will he succeed or, be looking for a job in a year?

I dont think he will succeed but I hope. It depends on multiple factors. The number one factor will be will the oline be anywhere near average. The line we trotted out last year was among the worst in the nfl and that affects all aspects of our offense. Lazor also must come up with a better offensive gameplan to use our strengths which Sherman miserably failed to do. The defense also must play better overall because the play slipped considerably this past season and all of a sudden they couldn't stop the run. Tannehill must continue to imrove but I see him on offense as the least of our problems. No qb is going to be stellar with bad play calling and a bad line esp a qb in development. I just don't think much of Philbin as a coach and Im not convinced that Coyle is a good dc.

I completely agree with you. Everything about the Dolphins rounds out as average in the key categories like talent level and quarterbacking. Unless we have an unusual distribution either way in the close games, or are hit with a rash of injuries, I think it very likely equates to another season near .500 and therefore benefit of a doubt to Philbin.

Hickey needs to hit on a great player or two. That's what we've been missing and finally there's room for hope.

Legitimately great players, not the pretend version. I noticed on another site last night that ckparrothead hinted strongly that the coaching staff was not happy with Dion Jordan, who apparently contributed to his lack of playing time.

Well being well below average at OL could be a major issue.
I also agree with Ck's opinion on Jordan. If they played him on special teams and he played quite a bit when Wake first got hurt, it would seem he didn't play because he didn't earn it not because the staff for some crazy reason was going to hold him back.
Im not sure how people have convinced themselves that Jordan is some great prospect taken with the third overall pick.

Tannehill/Philbin/Hickey all have 2 years to prove themselves if they finish 7-9 to 9-7. Finish worse and the house may get cleaned or if they make the playoffs they might get extensions.

Tannehill/Philbin/Hickey all have 2 years to prove themselves if they finish 7-9 to 9-7. Finish worse and the house may get cleaned or if they make the playoffs they might get extensions.

Giving Philbin two more years is beyond stupid but since we have Ross as owner, well then he will get two more years regardless of results. Tieing these guys together is a disservice to each individual. I mean its possible that Tannehill could play well and we could still not field a winner but we should jettison him because our coach sucks? Ross continues to be a horrid owner, wish we could fire him in two years

Cool, I'm down to 4 guitars now. I mostly just putz around now. Been playing for 28 years though. Anyway, we can chat about this some other time...don't want to hijack the thread...

4 guitars? I'd feel deprived. I have 6 acoustics, 4 electrics, 3 basses, 1 laptop steel, 2 banjos, 3 mountain dulcimers, and 1 irish bouzouki. I had this baby built some years ago...http://www.dreamguitars.com/sold-guitars/2004-bamburg_jsb_signature_baritone_16sep/
I think my next purchase is going to be a strat on which I want to install lipstick pickups.
I've been at it for about 40 years.

4 guitars? I'd feel deprived. I have 6 acoustics, 4 electrics, 3 basses, 1 laptop steel, 2 banjos, 3 mountain dulcimers, and 1 irish bouzouki. I had this baby built some years ago...http://www.dreamguitars.com/sold-guitars/2004-bamburg_jsb_signature_baritone_16sep/
I think my next purchase is going to be a strat on which I want to install lipstick pickups.
I've been at it for about 40 years.

That's pretty sweet. I used to have quite a few more, now I'm down to a Yamaha acoustic, and old Charvel model 2 (my 1st real guitar, the epiphone doesn't count) an EVH stripped Kramer replica, circa 1983 and a quilt top Wolfgang. I mostly just mess around with the Wolfgang when I have the time.

I wouldnt want to learn guitar from a guy with fingers twice my size. I would be dissapointed and dissapointing.

I would rather learn from Alex Lifeson. He has many sounds and machines.

Key thing here in all of this is Tannehill. Which is always my premise in this whole situation. Lazor is the key IMO which Philbin clearly won here with getting the right guy on paper. Even if he is a rookie playcaller, he will base everything off what RT is reading and seeing and what he is seeing then adjust.

I wouldnt want to learn guitar from a guy with fingers twice my size. I would be dissapointed and dissapointing.

I would rather learn from Alex Lifeson. He has many sounds and machines.

Key thing here in all of this is Tannehill. Which is always my premise in this whole situation. Lazor is the key IMO which Philbin clearly won here with getting the right guy on paper. Even if he is a rookie playcaller, he will base everything off what RT is reading and seeing and what he is seeing then adjust.
[video=youtube;iB4uwO1Dmf4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB4uwO1Dmf4[/video]

That's pretty sweet. I used to have quite a few more, now I'm down to a Yamaha acoustic, and old Charvel model 2 (my 1st real guitar, the epiphone doesn't count) an EVH stripped Kramer replica, circa 1983 and a quilt top Wolfgang. I mostly just mess around with the Wolfgang when I have the time.

I'm a big fan of Yamaha acoustics. I gave one as a gift once to a friend who'd helped me out greatly with a recording project. In the $400-$700 range, I think they're the best bang for the buck out there. Way back in the day, James Taylor always played a Yamaha.

The last electric I bought was a PRS Santana SE in whale blue.

BTW, if you or anyone here is ever in the market for anything, I have a hook-up at GC Pro who gets me about 20% off of just about anything. It's a guy I've been dealing with for a lot of years. I'm happy to pass his name and info along, just PM me.

Back
Top Bottom