"Phillip Merling Looked SICK" | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Phillip Merling Looked SICK"

The combine bench press is not an accurate measure of a player's functional strength. A person with good technique can potentially out lift someone stronger than them.

boy are you on me lol. when i said functional strength i didn't mean his bench i meant he's got more football strength ie technique and proper usage of his hands and leverage than he does pure benching strength. otherwise, he wouldn't anchor as welll as he does vs the run with 17 reps at 2 and a quarter.

That is odd, my grandfather who is a WWII vet, believes you have to change with your times to stay relevant. He uses words that have morphed in meaning somewhat.

My father and mother were the "cool" parents when i was growing up so I dont think they are dissapointed.

Matter of fact, I believe stodgy people have limited their perceptions to believe "their"way is the only "right" way. I am sure you and/or your parents used whatever was the prevailing slang of their time, don't hold it against others for doing the same. Be more accomodating and change with the times...

And as for the English language, read some books from a few hundred years ago and tell me if you talk like that. If you draw a line at using the language correctly why do you get to set the bar at the version YOU use which was not the original either.

Lastly, language is a form of communication. It changes as needed (or wed all speak Latin and Chinese). While I dont think it is a great idea I would not be suprised to see if morph into a more phonetical spelling over the next few hundred years.

i don't know how good he looked because i didn't see him but i sure hope he looked SICK, PHAT, GREAT, the shiznit, grand pubah or any other phrase.

lol I'm using that from now on. e.g. "Dude did you see that play?? Bro he is grand poob."

Definitely sucks. Merling's hernia really hurt his bench press ability. During his S&C he was able to put up 450 lbs at Clemson.

All i care about is how he looks,on the field. heck Tom brady was a 6th rd draft choice for whatever reason.. He'll likely go down as the greatest ever.

I want to see Merling in a preseason game going up against competition. Langford too.

in pratice jack long was handing it to him and merling was getting frustraded and swung at him when he got up. so i guest sick as in bad?

Yeah you're right, but I was hoping they would draft Fred Davis or a Martin Rucker later in the draft.

Im a big Fred Davis fan as well. Him and Cooley are gonna be a handfull to try and cover. Im very interested to see how Zorn uses them in 2 TE sets. I think one of them will be coming out of the backfield as an H Back on alot of plays as welll. Either way, I dont see how safeties and lb's are going to cover those 2.

I'll reserve judgment until he actually plays against an opposing first string offense.

I agree man. There are still a lot of question marks on this team. Not every player is looking perfect, i'm sure. I think Parcells and Ireland have mand a lot of right moves so far though.

You just have to take all these training camp reports with a grain of salt. 2 years ago Culpeper looked "sick" during training camp and looked how that turned out.

Yeah, I remember when people were wondering when Jason Taylor was going to start looking sick. It took about 3 years. I think Merling beats that. Why? because he will be in a BP style defense where the LB's provide pressure enough for LT's to worry their sick little minds....thats when a guy like Merling puts his inside move on and crushes people in the backfield faster than you can say "fumble!"

Back
Top Bottom