Phillip Rivers has an UGLY delivery | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phillip Rivers has an UGLY delivery

Originally posted by lauderdale
Rivers sucks don't draft him! :rolleyes:

"Rivers is not only in Manning's league, he might be better. And the value gained by dealing down and picking up extra picks could be a boost for this moribund franchise -- a much bigger boost than the Chargers would get by just sitting there and taking the big college star.

Last Thursday, sitting with Rivers in the quarterback meeting room of the pristine N.C. State football facility, I watched a couple of 2003 games on tape -- overtime losses at Ohio State and at Florida State. And I came away thinking: This guy's going to be a really good pro. Great? Who knows, because so much of that depends on what surrounds a quarterback. But he played great in two of football's most hostile venues when it mattered most. He brought the Wolfpack back from a 24-7 deficit at Columbus. He's supposed to have just an average arm, but he threw a perfect laser 30 yards downfield through three OSU defenders into a tiny hole for a touchdown; you can count on one hand the NFL quarterbacks who could have made that throw at that moment. He's supposed to have plodding mobility, but he continually evaded the quick Florida State rush, stepping up in the pocket and in and around trouble, throwing for 422 yards. This is no dink-and-dunker. Whereas Tim Couch made his living at Kentucky throwing six and eight yards downfield, completing 70 percent of his passes by always making the safe throw, Rivers makes all the throws. In those two games, against two very good college football teams, he threw for 737 yards and completed 71.1 percent of his passes.

"In the NFL,'' Rivers told me when the tape session was finished, "that's what it's going to be like a lot of times. You're behind, and you've got to come back late. You find out a little bit about yourself in times like that.''

Rivers started 51 college games, which is an NCAA record. He completed 67.1 percent of his career throws. This is the number I really like: In four seasons as a starter, Rivers averaged 7.89 yards per attempt. Brett Favre's NFL career yards-per-attempt number is 7.06."

Peter King

Sorry, but is this the same Peter King that said Cade McNoun and Kenyatta Walker were going to be stars? I trust his opinion of college players as much as I respect mine, which is sketchy at the best of times.

Peter King knows nothing of prospects. Please Peter, leave the talent evaluation to people who know what they are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom