Phillip Rivers has an UGLY delivery | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phillip Rivers has an UGLY delivery

Rivers threw a ton of passes last year. And I think only like 4 were batted down. In football, you throw thru lanes far more often than over the top.

Plus, you can't argue with that accuracy.

There is a lot of side stress on his elbow joint. If a pass rusher blocks his hand with the ball in it midway through his delivery, there will be a sudden increase in force in that elbow in a direction out of line with the normal pathway of the joint. Major ouch.

True, he threw a lot of balls in college....but that was in college. One would think that the NFL's players are way better than what River's faced in college.

A defensive coordinator will break down how to attack this. His wideout's routes will get jumped and he will have to think more before he releases the ball.
It will be interesting to see how he responds to a team that got his number.

Rivers sucks don't draft him! :rolleyes:

"Rivers is not only in Manning's league, he might be better. And the value gained by dealing down and picking up extra picks could be a boost for this moribund franchise -- a much bigger boost than the Chargers would get by just sitting there and taking the big college star.

Last Thursday, sitting with Rivers in the quarterback meeting room of the pristine N.C. State football facility, I watched a couple of 2003 games on tape -- overtime losses at Ohio State and at Florida State. And I came away thinking: This guy's going to be a really good pro. Great? Who knows, because so much of that depends on what surrounds a quarterback. But he played great in two of football's most hostile venues when it mattered most. He brought the Wolfpack back from a 24-7 deficit at Columbus. He's supposed to have just an average arm, but he threw a perfect laser 30 yards downfield through three OSU defenders into a tiny hole for a touchdown; you can count on one hand the NFL quarterbacks who could have made that throw at that moment. He's supposed to have plodding mobility, but he continually evaded the quick Florida State rush, stepping up in the pocket and in and around trouble, throwing for 422 yards. This is no dink-and-dunker. Whereas Tim Couch made his living at Kentucky throwing six and eight yards downfield, completing 70 percent of his passes by always making the safe throw, Rivers makes all the throws. In those two games, against two very good college football teams, he threw for 737 yards and completed 71.1 percent of his passes.

"In the NFL,'' Rivers told me when the tape session was finished, "that's what it's going to be like a lot of times. You're behind, and you've got to come back late. You find out a little bit about yourself in times like that.''

Rivers started 51 college games, which is an NCAA record. He completed 67.1 percent of his career throws. This is the number I really like: In four seasons as a starter, Rivers averaged 7.89 yards per attempt. Brett Favre's NFL career yards-per-attempt number is 7.06."

Peter King

SHHH!

I had just about gotten over the fact that a talent like Rivers more likely than not will not even grace the Dolphins' draft board.

Originally posted by enigmatics
tx_rivers_getty-1.jpg

I'm sorry, but this is the ugliest release I've seen since Kosar. I think NFL pro's would relish batting these low-released passes down.
You learn something new everyday huh? :rolleyes:

His accuracy speaks for itself. So do his passing yards. He will be a great player for someone.

I hope he's on the board at 20. I can't imagine a situation where if he is on the board at 20 there being anyone close to him in talent.....and if there is, that much better for us.

Originally posted by lauderdale
Rivers sucks don't draft him! :rolleyes:

"Rivers is not only in Manning's league, he might be better. And the value gained by dealing down and picking up extra picks could be a boost for this moribund franchise -- a much bigger boost than the Chargers would get by just sitting there and taking the big college star.

Last Thursday, sitting with Rivers in the quarterback meeting room of the pristine N.C. State football facility, I watched a couple of 2003 games on tape -- overtime losses at Ohio State and at Florida State. And I came away thinking: This guy's going to be a really good pro. Great? Who knows, because so much of that depends on what surrounds a quarterback. But he played great in two of football's most hostile venues when it mattered most. He brought the Wolfpack back from a 24-7 deficit at Columbus. He's supposed to have just an average arm, but he threw a perfect laser 30 yards downfield through three OSU defenders into a tiny hole for a touchdown; you can count on one hand the NFL quarterbacks who could have made that throw at that moment. He's supposed to have plodding mobility, but he continually evaded the quick Florida State rush, stepping up in the pocket and in and around trouble, throwing for 422 yards. This is no dink-and-dunker. Whereas Tim Couch made his living at Kentucky throwing six and eight yards downfield, completing 70 percent of his passes by always making the safe throw, Rivers makes all the throws. In those two games, against two very good college football teams, he threw for 737 yards and completed 71.1 percent of his passes.

"In the NFL,'' Rivers told me when the tape session was finished, "that's what it's going to be like a lot of times. You're behind, and you've got to come back late. You find out a little bit about yourself in times like that.''

Rivers started 51 college games, which is an NCAA record. He completed 67.1 percent of his career throws. This is the number I really like: In four seasons as a starter, Rivers averaged 7.89 yards per attempt. Brett Favre's NFL career yards-per-attempt number is 7.06."

Peter King

Brilliant post! It says everything everyone needs to know about Rivers. There are plenty of QBs who have great form who never made it in the NFL. There are so many KEY ingredients that go into being a great QB and Peter King describes most of them.

This is not a beauty contest, its about winning. Rivers has played more and won more, way more than Feeley. We should be so lucky that he falls to us. Fact is he won't. because there are plenty of professionals out there who agree woth King and will grab him before #20. What a shame. We need him bad.

"BTW, What don't you understand about what Ricky said, miamirw? We are NOT GOING QB 1st round" - SurtainRulz23

Spielman also said we're not trading for Boston. I wouldn't take EVERYTHING he says before the draft to heart.

There's little chance Rivers will drop to 20, but if he does, I would be shocked if Spielman doesn't take him. That's all I'm sayin.

I don't know why everyone is completely satisfied with the QB situation as it currently stands. One chance at a good QB (Feely) and an inconsistent back up (Fiedler). We can rebuild the Oline with the third round pick and through free agency the rest of the way. We CAN'T pick up another good young arm that way. Therefore, if we have an opportunity to get one (a, that's a big if and b, there are only four bonafide good young arms worthy of a first round pick - Manning, Roethlesburger, Rivers and Losman) you do it.

Originally posted by fin-atic

Brilliant post! It says everything everyone needs to know about Rivers. There are plenty of QBs who have great form who never made it in the NFL. There are so many KEY ingredients that go into being a great QB and Peter King describes most of them.

This is not a beauty contest, its about winning. Rivers has played more and won more, way more than Feeley. We should be so lucky that he falls to us. Fact is he won't. because there are plenty of professionals out there who agree woth King and will grab him before #20. What a shame. We need him bad.

I hate to say it, because it comes off like I'm hoping it will happen, which is NOT the case.....I hope Feeley proves to be the best move of our off season. I also believe in our FO and if they are really sold on him then I'm also in the fold. But I don't buy the "we invested a 2nd rounder next year in him so we are set at QB" statement that I keep hearing. A 2nd rounder next year is 3rd round value this year. A quality backup QB (worse case scenerio on Feeley) is well worth a 3rd round value. I don't think the FO will pass up on an opportunity to grab a potential Franchise QB UNLESS they believe they already have one. So I suppose the real question is: Does our FO really believe Feeley is a franchise QB or are they blowing smoke? Do they feel so certain about him that they would pass on Rivers at 20 if they have him rated clearly as the best player available?

If Feeley does falter, and does not offer us an improvement at QB, can you imagine how we are going to feel if we pass on Rivers at 20 overall. Especially if he proves to be a quick learner and quality starter? If Feeley doesn't get it done, I can't imagine what all of the anti Rivers crew will be saying.

The fact is, Feeley did NOTHING last year. He did show some promise (Like Lucas and Griese) in a role the year before. Feeley may be an upgrade, but he also may not beat out Jay Fiedler.

I agree Fin-atic, we need Rivers if he's at 20 overall. QB isn't a position we gamble on a player that has shown he can't do it and a player that never has. Adding Rivers just makes us that much more likely to have the QB situation settled and improved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by miamirw
"BTW, What don't you understand about what Ricky said, miamirw? We are NOT GOING QB 1st round" - SurtainRulz23

Spielman also said we're not trading for Boston. I wouldn't take EVERYTHING he says before the draft to heart.

There's little chance Rivers will drop to 20, but if he does, I would be shocked if Spielman doesn't take him. That's all I'm sayin.

I don't know why everyone is completely satisfied with the QB situation as it currently stands. One chance at a good QB (Feely) and an inconsistent back up (Fiedler). We can rebuild the Oline with the third round pick and through free agency the rest of the way. We CAN'T pick up another good young arm that way. Therefore, if we have an opportunity to get one (a, that's a big if and b, there are only four bonafide good young arms worthy of a first round pick - Manning, Roethlesburger, Rivers and Losman) you do it.

Oh come on! You mean the FO wouldnt tell us who they are going to draft? No way (LOL).

* Keep in mind Rick also said we'd draft the best player available, which may or may not be true....but if it is true and Rivers is on the board, it likely means a player like Andrews is not on the board...pushing Rivers back.

I think there is a better chance Rivers gets drafted during picks 1-10 than there is him going 11-19 because of who is picking and what they seem to be looking for. If Rivers makes it past the Steelers, he could end up sitting there at 20.

Who on the board would be better than Rivers if Andrews is already drafted and not an option?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE
Let his delivery serve as an example of why you Dad's out there should NOT let your kids throw Balls that are too big for their age group. Rivers grew up going to his Dad's Football Practices (Dad's a coach) and he used to throw the high school sized football all the time, hence the poor form.

Kids need to throw a ball made for their hand size and arm strength. Same goes for shooting a basketball.

Feeds your kids Overstuffed beef Ravioli and make them linemen.

Don't let them touch the ball!!!

Back
Top Bottom