Phillip Rivers has an UGLY delivery | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phillip Rivers has an UGLY delivery

"I wonder how Kosar did in the NFL?"

That's not the question we should be asking, statistically speaking it's known as 'survivorship bias', ie that because Kosar had good stats (but no SB ring) all side-arm QB's with poor deliveries do well. The question we should ask is of all drafted QB's with bad deliveries, how many succeeded in the NFL? I don't know the answer, but I'm guessing not many

Originally posted by ZOD

Feeds your kids Overstuffed beef Ravioli and make them linemen.

Don't let them touch the ball!!!

Or do what I do...Do Both.

I have the next Mike Alstott minus the injury factor. LOL

My 8 year old is a head taller than his class and about 92 pounds of Fullback machine.

Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE

Or do what I do...Do Both.

COORDINATION/INSTINCTS

Key factors in my decision. ;)

ok guys...sporting news was talking bout this about a month ago and they looked back at phillip rivers stats over his college career. They found that for every hundered passes thrown he would get 6 knocked down. in the NFl the average for knocked down passes are about 3 for every 100. This shows that sidearm is a factor...BUT its not a big one. Peace

Originally posted by Finfan80
"I wonder how Kosar did in the NFL?"

That's not the question we should be asking, statistically speaking it's known as 'survivorship bias', ie that because Kosar had good stats (but no SB ring) all side-arm QB's with poor deliveries do well. The question we should ask is of all drafted QB's with bad deliveries, how many succeeded in the NFL? I don't know the answer, but I'm guessing not many

But why does Kosar have no ring? If you believe it's b/c of the sidearm then it's the right question. IMO the reason Kosar has no ring has more to do with the Broncos being better and Shottenhiemer's coaching decisions and nothing to do with his delivery.

Wow did anyone check out the update on thehuddlereport.com's profile on Rivers...pretty damn brutal. Its on the bottom of the page Philip Rivers

I don't know that guys track record on predicting NFL talent, but that was pretty rough....

Part of the reason he did not throw downfield a lot has to do with the offensive scheme at NCST. But, I do recall passes being batted down. I just think he is capable of being better than a backup. His demeanor in a game reminds me of Montana...but that is strictly IMHO. Weurffel was a result of the system he was in at Florida...Anyone who watched Weurffel in college knew that. Florida's system turns out the same style of QB all the time...NCST on the otherhand is not in the habit of turning out system players...so, we'll have to wait and see, but I don't agree with that guy about Rivers.

I have digressed about drafting Rivers if available though. Not because of Rivers abilities, but because of our needs elsewhere on the team and the quality of other players in this draft...

Who the **** is Drew Boylhart? And why should I give a damn what he thinks any more than what my mailman thinks.

How bout some credentials?

And I don't mean Mad Magazine or Highlights editor.

Your kiddign right?? We are supposed to respec the opinon of some obscure writer who says he think Rivers would be a good pass catching TE in the NFL! WTF?!?!

I guess he can overlook all of the QB success and see a guy who is slow and never played a position and decide it's a btter fit.

All I know is he wins and gets it done. This guy formed his opinion on only one facet of the game: arm strength.

I have two words for him : Joe Montana.

The defense rests.

Originally posted by Noodle Arm
Wow did anyone check out the update on thehuddlereport.com's profile on Rivers...pretty damn brutal. Its on the bottom of the page Philip Rivers

I've stated the same about Rivers, however due to the overwhelming obvious lust for him here, I've decided to wait and see. I still think that NFL defenses will lick their chops when facing him.

Who cares what the guy's credentials are?? He has an opinion and just because it doesn't agree with yours or the majority, he is crazy?!
He stated that he went BACK and looked at games and gave you another evaluation of the guy. Maybe you should do the same....paying more attention to where he throws the football.

I agree, not a popular opinion here at Finheaven...people will believe what they want to, not what facts state

Just for the record I like Rivers, I just don't think he's going to be super duper hall of fame bound QB some people think he will be. He is an excellent college QB with great stats..but that's college..the NFL is a whole different beast. Joe Montana was a very smart, weak armed QB who succeeded in the NFL mainly because of the west coast offense. That's what Rivers will need to be a good pro QB...an offensive system that requires a lot of short passes and not a whole lot of deep passes. Let's face it River's deep ball is far from great. I hope he lands on a team who will adapt to his strenghts (Pittsburgh seems like the best choice) and I wish him the best of luck in the pros...except when he plays against us :D

I've seen Rivers play. I had read a report that stated pretty clearly that Rivers has only had like 4 balls batted down at the line of scrimmage in his career...and I know Muck saw the same report. Perhaps it was inaccurate.

Anyway Rivers did do his share of downfield passing. He's got the 2nd highest yard per attempt of all the Division I-A quarterbacks that have thrown enough passes to qualify (50 to 100 passes dont qualify you in my book)...behind only Ryan Dinwiddie I believe. My instinct of course is to say that his ultra high accuracy of 70+ percent skews his yard per attempt. But his yards per completion is right up there too with these other guys that everyone claims were in either more of a "pro style" offense or they have the cannon to push the ball downfield.

Back
Top Bottom