Picking a College Team | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Picking a College Team

Phinz4Life

Hall Of Famer
Reaction score
I've been watching college football extensively for the past two years now (before I watched the occasional game), and, like every sport, I want to have a favorite team. A team to follow and root for. Unfortunately, there aren't any big schools around me in upstate New York that have football teams that are any good.

How should I solve this little dilemma?

Edit: And my college is a D3 school with no football program..

Not gonna tell you who to like but............

For me, growing up watching the Gators was an exciting experience. Spurrier's Fun' n Gun was so fast paced and fun to watch, I got hooked. Yeah, I live in Maryland but I've never believed in the "Cheer for the home team" thing :D

Just find a team that you enjoy watching.

Tough decision!

Maybe you should have two teams - the nearest one to you could be one + so then its a bonus if they do well in the future.

I'd then go for one of the bigger programmes but not one thats is too obvious!

Maybe somone like Wisconsin Badgers? Oregon? Cal? These are good teams but not dominant so its exciting when they do well!

I like a few teams - Wiscosin, Cal, Gators, Buckeyes - there are so many teams to choose from! How about picking one out of a hat!!!

LtDan said:
I was born and raised in Ohio and around Buckeye football so it was easy for me

Amen. I think thats the best way to come across a favorite team, rooting for the hometown boys. Any other way just seems kinda fake.

Go for Michigan. They have the largest stadium plus have the most wins in all of college football. Plus usually have a quality team other then this past season where they were hit with the injury bug plus inexperience at alot of positions.

Upstate New York...why not the Syracuse Orange?....good school....decent football team, not great, decent basketball school. I am a CU Buffs and ASU Sun Devils fan as I got my degrees from there....I am a Dolphins fan mainly because I liked the color of their uniforms when I was about 6 years old and they won their first SB that year.

hey dude come join the Sooner Nation!!!!!!! :tongue:

born in Oklahoma where you are tought 3 things.

1. Love your family

2. Do good at what you do

3. Hate Texas, Oklahoma St., Nebraska, USC, and Miami with a Passion :fire:

Roman529 said:
Upstate New York...why not the Syracuse Orange?....good school....decent football team, not great, decent basketball school. I am a CU Buffs and ASU Sun Devils fan as I got my degrees from there....I am a Dolphins fan mainly because I liked the color of their uniforms when I was about 6 years old and they won their first SB that year.

better basketball team then football for syracuse

saves said:
Amen. I think thats the best way to come across a favorite team, rooting for the hometown boys. Any other way just seems kinda fake.

:shakeno: Thats crap. I can see the "Home Team" loyalty, but don't say you can't like a team if their not local, it makes no sense.

saves said:

So I cant be a Miami dolphin fan? :cry:

saves said:

That is CRAP.

I live in Vancouver. I've been a Dolphins fan since the early 80's, an Oakland A's fan since the early 80's, a Boston Bruins fan since birth and a Quebec Nordique/Colorado Av's fan since the early 80's...to say "you should root for your hometeam or you are fake" is GARBAGE.

ON TOPIC: This is actually a decent topic. I've been watching college football for 20 years and never latched on to a team. I've always looked at it from an emotional point of view. If I'm watching a game and I start to get really up and down with a team as they suceed or fail I tend to know I have an attachment.

The problem is I have never had a lasting emotional attachment to a college team. I know when I watch the Phin's or one of my other teams in other sports that I will feel sick when they lose (a Dolphin loss has been known to make me miserable for a long time) or so great when they win...have not found that feeling with a college team...accept USC the last few years but that was just because I like Leinart.

I think I'll just go on like I have been...watch the game and enjoy it...I don't think I'll ever have a "team" I can call my own....damn I wish I had an Alma Mater.:sidelol:

My two college teams are Miami & USC. Miami was an easy one because I'm a Dolphins fan & most of my extended family (cousins) are Dolphin & Hurricane fans (all the way up here in Maryland). The reason I like USC is because I fell in love (figuratively) with Carson Palmer his junior year. Everything you could want in a QB & he's shown it ever since. I don't like flip flopping teams so I stuck with em.

For me, growing up watching the Gators was an exciting experience. Spurrier's Fun' n Gun was so fast paced and fun to watch, I got hooked. Yeah, I live in Maryland but I've never believed in the "Cheer for the home team" thing

Me neither. I hate the Ravens, Redskins, Wizards, Capitals, Flyers, Phillies, Eagles, 76ers.

Back
Top Bottom